on 1 April 2016
More aimed at practitioners, still an interesting read for someone with attachment disorders. There so little good literature out there on things like AvPD. And it is ignored by mental health services much of the time.
on 12 August 2014
This is a much needed resource that details the reasons for avoidance in the client relating to their past trauma's andtachment history.
It gives usefuls strategies on supporting clients with this and an insight for therapist into their own avoidance too.
This book is equally useful for therapists and their clients.
on 18 July 2017
This was recommended to me by a friend. I was struggling with a client with an avoidant process in early training. I found this insightful.
on 25 April 2014
Very interesting, very techy if you aren't a prof but you could pick and choose what you read from it. I would recommend it to anyone serious about the study. Lots of ideas and case studies
on 3 July 2013
I'm not a professional, but have an interest in this field. The book offers an excellent guide to negotiating the avoidant attached individual, and is all the more valuable given the limited material available.
on 4 November 2011
Trauma and the Avoidant Client came to my hands in a timely manner as i grappled with an extremely difficult client. The book tidies up previous knowledge and opens a window or mind state that allowed me and consequently mi clients to get closer to their pain. It explores the client's avoidant tendencies and strategies, and with equal importance questioned my own avoidant elements and how these might manifest in the therapist's seat. Brilliant piece of work that sipped in into all my other client work, as the topic became ever present the more i infused myself in reading this book. An important part of my development as a therapist highly recommended both for trainees and experienced therapists.
9 people found this helpful
on 25 November 2010
When I received this book I found the font was large and the writing well spaced out, which made me think 'Oh dear, he's had to stretch this one out to make a book!'. However, I've actually found it easy to read such large, well-spaced text and it's no reflection on the content. I liked how he drew together various strands of research on trauma and attachment and used these to make clear links to the practical implications of these findings. He has also illustrated his ideas well with plenty of clinical examples. The clarity of this book will make it particularly useful for therapists in training or those who are newly qualified, but as someone with more experience I also found it helpful. Some of his suggestions for clinical approaches would be applicable for clients who are generally avoidant and need not be restricted to just 'trauma' clients (perhaps we can assume there are elements of interpersonal trauma in the backgrounds of all people with avoidant attachments). He also has a really good chapter on countertransference reactions that is more broadly applicable than to just avoidant clients and really applies to any clients you might find challenging to work with. As with any challenging clients, people with avoidant attachments can often leave therapists feeling you don't know what you're doing; at the very least, this book will leave you feeling clear about the nature of the challenges, how to approach dealing with them and accepting of the limitations.
20 people found this helpful
on 29 July 2016
Interesting book. Very well explained.
on 27 March 2016
great book
on 21 July 2013
Although I am not a therapist, I found this book very useful in giving me an understanding of my own attachment based problems. However, this book is geared towards the practitioner and I would imagine that it would be a very useful tool to have. Obviously written by someone with in-depth knowledge of attachment disorders this is a must have book for any therapist to have on their book shelf.
One person found this helpful