Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 15 November 2014
From the instant you start, you feel part of this amazing journey. The vivid characters and plot draw you in and you never want to stop reading.

Can't wait for the next book.
on 15 September 2014
This is the second book of the trilogy and satisfies curiosity about what happens with significant characters introduced in the first book, Bitterwood. Maxey creates a world of several species of dragons and different levels of humans, weaving them into an engaging tale with nuggets of warrior philosophic included. Better to read in sequence for full understanding, hence the loss of a star, but it does avoid the repetition that can marry other sequenced books.
on 15 July 2015
This was a good follow up to the first how ever it leaves you wanting for more yes I will read next book even though the story was tied up nice I just love a story where it splits into lots of little reads I gave three stars as I feel it a good story it could just have been written a bit better
on 21 October 2014
I started reading book 1 thinking this was a fantasy too far, but then felt compelled to buy book 2 as by the end I wanted to know what happened next! It's a bit like Planet of the apes but with Dragons. I'm now on book 3!
on 11 October 2014
I loved this book. I devoured it. So many twists and sub-plots with a good smattering of humour. Definitely something to help the long nights along before Game of Thrones is back on TV. Roll on number 3!
VINE VOICEon 9 September 2009
When I began this book, I was unaware of it being a 'sequel' of sorts. The book cover does not mention the fact of there having been a previous instalment. However, I stumbled upon this piece of information quite by chance, but as I'd already started it and was able to follow, I didn't feel the need to rush out and buy 'Bitterwood' immediately, but did intend to do so, and to read it at a later date. So this novel obviously appeared to stand as a story on its own - which was good.

The opening scenes I felt were exciting and were written in a way that got the Reader 'hooked' from the very start. I was riveted! I do enjoy Fantasy and Sci-Fi material - but I do like them to have some 'credibility' at least, and so don't like them getting too 'silly'. As anything is possible in this genre, that can be tricky territory I know.

However, though there were talking Dragons which were all too human to distinguish from the 'real' humans, it was easy to read, follow (despite not having read the first instalment) and exciting too. The talking Dragons was fine, and I didn't have a problem with that, since we 'know' and accept that these are 'mythological' creatures, and so who knows what they'd be capable of if they did exist, however, when I got to the talking 'pig' about a hundred pages in - it finished it completely for me... I simply found I could not tolerate such an aspect in a book written for adults. It may have been okay for kids of a certain age (and I am guessing this is not aimed at that age group?) and perhaps even for a certain type of adult - but this was just going too far for me...

In short; what started off as a great and promising read, simply turned out to be disappointing...
on 12 September 2015
Read the first chapter but not really my thing
on 6 October 2009
Dragonforge continues the story started by James Maxey in Bitterwood that I reviewed previously. With the tyrant dragon king Albekizan dead his son takes his place and brings to fruition the start of a new age, one in which human and every type of dragon (there's a few in this series) can live as equals in peace and harmony and all that. This doesn't go down well with some of the human leaders and so starts so starts a new war, one in which a group of humans, avenging the failed genocide started by Albekizan, plan a genocide of their own with some of the characters from the first book getting right in the middle of it.
Maxey has a flare for action in his writing, and the scenes he writes, especially the one in which there is a huge battle between humans and dragon's in the titular Dragonforge, are all excellently handled. I could fully visualize the blood and puke that is being described flying everywhere and body parts and various limbs all being chopped off left, right and center. Very well realized. What isn't, though, is the emotion. There are a lot of characters in this novel and maybe that's the reason why I didn't feel as emotionally connected to them as I felt in the first book. Those characters that were suitably evil were boo and hiss as they should be but I didn't truly despise them, maybe that's because those evil characters, even when it's talking about mass genocide, they all seem to have a point. It makes sense in a dark, deep part of the brain that even though you know it's just so wrong you know it kind of makes sense. You can understand why they do it even if you would never consider doing it yourself. And the good characters, when I felt I was meant to rooting for them I just wasn't really. I felt little sympathy for them, even in death. I don't argue Maxey's quality of writing but I do argue that there just isn't enough emotion in his words to get me at least involved; and I'm one of the most emotionally involved guys you'll ever know.
I recommend you read it as long as you've read the first one. It is a stand-alone title but you will understand a little more if you know the previous tale.
I await to read the next and apparently final book which is lying somewhere in my house.

[]
on 30 July 2014
Not as good as the first book
Even though King Albekizan is dead, no one can forget his attempted genocide of the human race. Shandrazel accepts the duty of king, but fully intends to be the king who ends the era of kings. Shandrazel wishes to make dragons and humans equal by creating a new form of government in which all will get a voice. All begin to gather for Shandrazel's talks, but not all want to see the end of dragons ruling over everyone and everything. One of the biggest to oppose Shandrazel's dream is the Matriarch, who is solely responsible for which dragons may mate and which may not. She and her Valkyrie warriors defend the Nest where the eggs are kept. Refusing to attend herself, the matriarch sends Zorasta, commander of the Valkyrie legion, and her contingent. One of Zorasta's guards, Nadala, secretly hopes the talks will succeed so she may have a future with Graxen the Gray (one of Shandrazel's helpers).

Many humans still seek vengeance against all dragons. When Ragnar, a so called prophet, seeks to lead a war to destroy all dragons in the world, he gets many followers.

Bitterwood no longer hunts dragons. With hope that his son, Adam, may still be alive, Bitterwood searches with a couple of his new companions. But even if Adam is still alive, will Adam be all Bitterwood hopes for or a total disappointment?

Jandra and Hexilizan "Hex", Shandrazel's eldest brother, have become fast friends. They are part of the effort to locate Blasphet and his evil human devotees, the Sisters of the Serpent. Blasphet has his own agenda, though slightly changed from before.

***** Some characters are gone, but new characters appear. Readers learn more about the time before dragons, when humans ruled the world. The prophet and the goddess each have their own followers and the possibility for chaos is high. Tensions mount, characters become more developed, and a few secrets are revealed. Bitterwood and Jandra are at the heart of it all. They have gotten some interesting companions with special talents that just may be what the human race needs to survive the upcoming conflict. Once again, I practically inhaled the story and eagerly await the next. *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.