• Scoop

Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change
Price:£4.13+ £1.26 shipping

on 2 March 2015
This Woody Allen flick went almost a decade before finally getting a DVD release here in the UK - in some ways I can see why, it's far from his best work but as a fan I still found much to enjoy in this one.

Allen takes a starring role this time out which adds an element to proceedings as we likely won't see that much more of him on screen. He plays a stage magician who teams up with Scarlett Johansson's amateur journalist after they get a tip off as to the identity of a notorious serial killer who's bumping off London prostitutes. This tip off comes from beyond the grave in the form of a deceased journalist (just go with it).

Allen brings his usual fast patter with the odd corking one liner hitting home while Johansson plays nicely off him - they have a pretty decent, amusing, odd couple dynamic. Hugh Jackman gives us his best Hugh Grant impression as the possible murderer while a raft of familiar faces from British TV and film fill in the background.

In terms of Allen's previous work it's similar in tone to Manhattan Murder Mystery for example with a dash of the fantastic from the likes of Midnight in Paris or The Purple Rose of Cairo. Each of those films are superior to this one of course but it's still worth a go. The plot is interesting enough and perhaps most importantly it is genuinely funny for the most part - bringing a fair few chuckles and the odd big laugh. Recommended for fans, cautiously recommended for everyone else.
on 30 January 2017
I suppose it depends on what you're looking for at the time.

I was simply looking to add films to the watch list, but when I noticed Woody Allen in the trailer, I watched it straight away.

Will it make cinematic history? No. But . . . it's a great way to escape for the time it took to watch it. Woody plays a bumbling magician to great effect and although the story line is a bit far- fetched, isn't that why we watch films - to escape reality?

There are also a couple of nice little twists that will have you wondering if you do actually know who the baddie is.

Would I recommend it? Let's just say that if it is shown on terrestrial telly and I notice it, I would definitely watch it again.
on 5 March 2017
The story line is a little absurd -- including happenings that most would not consider part of their reality, without any attempt from the film to make it integrate it into your reality (i.e. to make them seem credible) . I can handle that. I like a little weirdness sometimes. But the main characters inexpert, ill-thought-out lying and tiptoeing around to investigate was a bit cringey (because it's the kind of things that are embarrassing for the characters) and not really humorous (which I'm assuming it was hoped to be), and Woody Allen made it rather irritating at times, for my tastes. That, I'm guessing, is what was what was meant by `silliness' in other reviews, rather than the slightly absurd story elements. I think to actually like this film you have to like Woody Allen's typical anxiety-stricken, excessive-talking characters, of which I have noted in another film with him in, and be prepared for another character that is written as slightly inept (and over talkative when nervous too) to be alongside that a lot of the time.
on 1 February 2017
Delightful film - if you Woody, you'll enjoy it. Ignore the negative reviews. London is a great backdrop.
on 19 March 2017
I'm a Woody Allen fan so will always see something in the film content that would make the film worthwhile to watch.
on 19 July 2017
Disappointing. I expected more from Woody Allen. Hugh Jackman was the best thing about this film
on 5 May 2017
Big budget rubbish script . Woody Allen is completely inept and irritating and Scarlett Johansson is mis~cast as ditzy
on 30 May 2017
Ok, pleased to have purchased this DVD at a low price, so great value.
on 18 June 2017
Not one of his best but worth a look
on 30 July 2017
I actually enjoyed this film. if you're after a light movie to pass time, this would be perfect for you.