Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 November 2010
Purchased this on a whim based purely on the retro cover art and really chuffed I did. They sound like an amalgam of early doom (such as pentagram and black sabbath) and melodic 70's heavy rock. There is tasteful use of organs which adds an atmospheric quality to the album. Subject matter for the lyrical content is so unrelentingly and overtly satanic to an almost comical degree it could grow tiresome for the casual listener but fans of bands such as electric wizard and their ilk will appreciate it. Having said that the lyrics are more of a joyous celebration of satan than a shock factor approach favoured by some black and death metal bands. Stand out tracks for me are con clavi con dio (with a cracking intro bass driven riff that geezer butler would be proud of) and death knell but there isn't a single bad song on the album. They have keen sense of melodicism and a dare I say a pop sensibility uncommon with modern doom rock bands. If you like the sound of a band that combines the best parts of wishbone ash and doom don't hesitate in buying this.
on 18 March 2013
Ghost are what you would expect if Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple had a baby with overtly satanic lyrics. Intrigued? I know I was after seeing the Metal Hammer cover story on these guys. There's no way that a band should be able to be this melodic, concise and immediate. Occult rock shouldn't really be this easy to listen to. Yet it is. These Swedes have really got their stuff nailed down to the max. I just saw them at Soundwave festival in Australia. I was a fan after hearing the C.D. and after seeing the excellent show I'm now telling everyone I think might be remotely into them to go out and get this album quick smart. It's no where near as heavy as their image would have you think, and is soo well constructed. If Satan has tunes this good we all need to go to hell. The fact that Lee Dorian of Napalm Death and Cathedral fame should fall over himself to sign them to his label should say a lot to those in the know. These guys have a major fan in James Hetfield of Metallica fame. Are you really going to tell him he's wrong? I don't think so. Revel in the glory of Satan with Ghost. There are infinately worse things you can do.
on 20 August 2017
In love with this band!
on 22 March 2017
Amazing debut album
on 18 March 2017
Loved this album. Nothing else to say, it's a must if you love Ghost. It arrived fast and in pristine conditions.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 February 2017
Ghost, it would seem, are a band who split opinion right down the middle. When I first heard them, I have to admit that I was puzzled by them; here was a band who look like they should be shrieking, growling black metal demons but actually in fact sound something akin to what it might sound like if Black Sabbath were melded with the Blue Oyster Cult and Queens of the Stone Age; a bit sludgy, a bit proggy but with a bit of groove and attitude. It's all a bit bewildering, and my other half hates them, but I would heartily recommend them if you're looking for a band who sound a bit different to anyone else.

Once you get over their slightly baffling but intriguing image, you'll soon discover that it's backed up by some absolutely stonking tunes and this, their first long player, is packed to the rafters with them. It was the first album of their that I listened to and I wasn't entirely sure what to make of it after the first listen, but found that it definitely tempted me back for a second listen. After my second listen to it, it had started to dig its hooks into me and by the fourth of fifth I was a card-carrying Ghost fan. It really did happen that quickly.

This album has got the sort of grooves and hooks that a million bands wish they had, right from the stunning bass groove of the opening track "Con Clavi Con Dio" there's a veritable feast of tasty licks, hooks and riffs, backed up by Papa Emeritus's slightly nasal but very distinctive crooning.

It's the sort of sound that in theory shouldn't really work but someone Ghost have sprinkled all of the correct amounts of the right ingredients into their potion of sonic alchemy and deftly weave a tapestry of aural incantations, spells and hexes into your ears and brain which ultimately leave you begging for more by the end of the final track.
on 15 July 2012
I saw Ghost performing a song live on Skuzz TV channel.
The entertaining sight of faceless ghoulish Monks playing the instruments and the singer in full cardinal robes with a skull mask made me keep watching...I thought the music was fantastic so I bought the MP3 download from Amazon.

Its not easy to say who Ghost remind me of, there is a bit of Sabbath in some of the riffs, but some of the choruses are pure pop, very hooky. Its really a seventies flavoured mix of pop/rock/doom metal.

The songwriting is fantastic, there is real craft in the melodies and dynamics.

The band are obviously talented and tasteful musicians, and the vocals are just superb, very clean and melodic.

The sound of the album is quite retro, which is a good thing.
The guitar tones are fantastic, and the production has good seperation between the vocals and all the instruments, a very earthy natural recording.

highly recommended, the only downside is getting these songs out of your head once you have heard them.
on 14 December 2011
Bought as the band were one of the support acts of the "defenders of the faith 3" tour and if i'm honest - words fail me when it comes to explaining how good this band is and how amazing Opus Eponymous is.
Definitely worth checking out if you like old school prog. And if you get chance to go see the band live... DO!!
on 24 January 2011
Friend of mine played this album for me when he was tattooing my arm and I first thought that the pain I was going through had something to do with my opinion about this band. So when I listened this again from Spotify I instantly placed an order for this... I have to say that this is one of the best - if not THE best album of the decade! Slow, powerfull riffs... perfectly placed organs... excellent lyrics, this one has it all. Can't wait to see them live! If you're a fan of this kind of music and you're still thinking about buying this, do it NOW!! We have to support bands like Ghost so they can keep doing what they do best!! 10/10 and five stars!!
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 April 2011
I went to see paradise lost at kentish town forum last week fully expecting another support band booked to make the main band look even better!.when Ghost appeared on stage complete with monk robes and a lead singer dressed in clergy hat and robes, i thought here we go time for a fag! but i was mesmerised as their sound filled the place my mind started to search who they sounded like. sabbath yes now blue oyster cult bit of king diamond and it went on.
Now to the album, it is only around 35 minutes in length with two instrumentals opening and closing the affair but what a brilliant crafted album every seventies rock bands i grew up on have influenced them, but ghost have still made themselves sound original and nice clean melodic vocals and musicianship has made this my album of year i cant stop playing it!!.
so they sing about satan wear monk robes but never has metal been so melodic then on this album, really hope i get to see them play in uk again (they are playing donington in summer).
totally recommended..go buy!