on 12 September 2012
A free-flowing and very accessible account of the difference between the Bible and myths that existed about the same time in history.

Extremely well-written with pleasant approachable that I was delighted to find when approaching this quite academic topic.

As a scientist by background I thought I would struggle with this subject but instead I found it highly illuminating with interesting parallels to the modern world. Even though the author makes little reference to science his analysis and lucid comments enabled me to make connections that I would never have imagined in relation to modern theories about the nature of creation, the Gaia hypothesis and the way man sees himself in the universe.

I recommend this book wholeheartedly (I purchased both Kindle and Paperback)
on 11 February 2015
This is an extremely helpful perspective on the question of historical narrative in the Old Testament. In the same way that it can be argued that the New Testament documents don't make any sense without a literal, physical resurrection of Jesus, Oswalt argues very cogently that the Old Testament documents don't make sense without some grounding in historical reality, however we define the parameters of history in its Ancient Near Eastern context. The question boils down to this: why write it as history if none of it actually happened? The purpose of the book is not to prove or disprove that events took place exactly as described but to show that the theology underpinning what is written makes no sense without real events to connect to. I found this a really stimulating read and recommend it highly.