Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

This is the story of an alien entity crash landing in the Appalachian mountains. It starts to take over the residents of the town and things can only get worse with a special festival being held in a few days. Visitors are due in town and it's up to a psychology teacher and two old 'codgers' to save the town from disaster.

I really enjoyed this. It started off quite slowly but it soon picked up and became extremely difficult to put down! It was the love child of 'The Tommyknockers' and 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' but on speed. The characters were solid and well rounded and there were the usual uber bad guys and also a couple that made me think were they or weren't they? it was sad in places, Scott managed to extract a lot of pathos - not easy given the subject matter. The ending was good and wrapped everything up nicely.

I recommend this for scifi/horror fans and for fans of Scott Nicholson. A great book with a great storyline.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to review it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 May 2012
This is Scot Nicholson doing what he does best, taking a sleepy little small town in the middle of nowhere and terrorising the hell out of them! In this case an alien being has landed on the mountainside and needs to feed to survive by "harvesting" the inhabitants, both animal and vegetable, turning them into zombie like hybrid beings. The heroes are three old men, Chester, Emerland, De Walt and local "psychic psychologist" Tamara who join forces for the ultimate Good vs Evil battle. As usual, the authors' narrative is spot on; you can picture this little town almost as if you had been there and dialogue is first rate. The characters are certainly believeable; you get to know their likes, dislikes and fears which really makes you empathise with them and start rooting for them against the zombies. What is great, is the way that not all the characters focussed on are necessarily "good", the author certainly doesnt forget to include the local "trailer trash" in his story notably Peggy, the broke mother in the trailer park who is offered a way out of poverty by doing the one thing she is really good at and, of course, Emerland is the archetypal "evil property developer who just wants to buy it and bulldoze it". There are a lot of characters to keep track of, but it gets easier as the book goes on because most of them come to a very gruesome end anyway. The plot does start off slowly, setting the scene and getting you into the feel of small town snail pace life but pretty soon builds up pace and, especially by the time you get to the second half of the book, has become unputdownable. Highly recommended.
on 22 December 2016
I was not quite sure where this story was heading in the beginning as it almost seemed to be a linking of at least two different and rather disparate lines. The invasion of a small 'redneck' American community by a cosmic seed with a need to feed, running alongside preparations for a major town festival and several malfunctioning careers and marriages. However, when it did start to come together the action was fast and well described with a rather unusual ending. Well written with strong characters, for me it just fell short of 5 star status but I enjoyed reading it.
on 18 November 2013
I like Scott's style, the feel of the book, the main characters Tamara and Chester were real crowd pleasers.

I didn't read the reviews before buying the book, but after the fact. It's interesting to see that people think there were too many characters - personally, I didn't get this. I thought the plot was spot on, his writing was crisp and engaging, and that there was *nearly* just the right amount going on. I say nearly, because I thought (and I'm being extremely picky) that in a couple of places it was a little over written, and maybe about one plot arc too many. This is why I'm giving it a four, and not a five. BUT - I will buy more of Scott's work, and this story kept me engaged through to the end. I think, too, many reviews (including this one!) can be taken with a pinch of salt. It is, after all, only a matter of opinion. My opinion, in this instance? Scott's got talent to burn.

Cheers.

Craig Saunders
on 21 December 2016
I am having a real problem with this book. I read very quickly and the author constantly puts in so much "comparisons" and descriptions for just about everything, it bogs the story down and it doesn't flow at all. Being British, I haven't a clue what he's talking about half the time.
on 1 January 2012
I managed to get this book for free and was doubtful it would be any good but I was wrong it was a rollercoaster ride into a sci fi madness that gripped you and sucked you in.
It started off slowly slowly allowing you to get to know the characters, an amazing story that has elements of the greatest story writers in this genre
on 17 May 2016
This is the first Scott Nicholson book that I found a little hard to read and even found myself skipping the odd paragraph. The story was slow to begin with then when the main characters stood out the storyline was easier to follow.
on 29 June 2013
I've always enjoyed reading the work of Scott Nicholson since discovering him in 2011 (even the ones other people don't like), so I downloaded The Harvest with high expectations. I was not disappointed - in fact, I would place The Harvest as my favourite alongside Creative Spirit and The Red Church, and argue that it is further proof of why Nicholson has grown so popular.

The plot is...not predictable, but familiar. You dive into it knowing what to expect and don't find anything that completely surprises you. It's enjoyable, and creepy enough to treat you to a few shivers before the end. The ending itself has a nice little twist, just enough to add a little freshness to what could have been a painfully stale plot.

But for me the REAL triumph for The Harvest is the vivid picture that Nicholson paints for his readers. As I read I found that the 'infected' were crystal clear in my mind, even if they weren't as humans. This added to the overall creepiness of the story for the imaginative reader - as though these alien characters had jumped from the Kindle straight into your head. The human characters are believable, which is always a big help to readers, and you will find yourself cheering them on towards the end.

On a personal note, I think The Harvest could easily be turned into a film. If the film was made, I would certainly watch it.
on 16 December 2012
"The Harvest" by Scott Nicholson is a rather enjoyable science-fiction/horror novel that will remind readers of various classic B-movie plot lines and concepts. The story itself is about an alien entity that lands in the Appalachian mountings in the United States and starts to "infect" every life form it encounters including the inhabitants of a small mountain town. These infected people become zombie like and try to find more victims to help progress the alien's ultimate aim which is to absorb the life force from every living creature on Earth.

The novel is a fun ride as long as you are willing to accept cliché plot points and aren't looking for anything that original. However, whilst not being that original, Nicholson really does capture the feeling of classic movies like "The Blob" & "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and I actually quite enjoyed the corny bits that appeared throughout the novel. In addition the pace seemed just right with Nicholson using the early, slower parts of the novel to introduce the various characters to the reader before picking up the tension and danger as the story progressed to its conclusion.

There are problems however as at times it seemed like Nicholson was trying to do a character driven piece rather than the B-movie styled novel he was actually producing. For example, large sections of the book seem dedicated to various characters' religious beliefs which really was a turn off for me as it just slowed the pace down for no real reason.

In regards to the characters themselves, Nicholson has tried hard to make all of them seem credible with different layers being present in all of them although I have to admit that a lot of did strike me as being in the stereotypical hillbilly/redneck mould. The real problem however is that he has introduced so many characters that I found myself struggling to engage with any of them. I just wish that he had maybe only included half the characters and developed them much more which may have meant that I actually felt something when one of them got infected.

Overall, I enjoyed this novel for what it was; a fun read that brings the same feeling of enjoyment I get from sitting down and watching an old 1950's science fiction horror movie. It isn't anything original, but it is well written and I think it will appeal to fans of the science fiction horror genre that are looking for something that won't tax the brain but should entertain none the less.
on 11 April 2012
Ok - you know the story don't you. Alien crash lands in Appalachia, starts converting humans into shambling death units, pollutes the landscape and starts messing with people's minds using telepathy? Or that only a doubting Psychology Lecturer, a Yankee turned unwilling local and a moonshine drinkin' real local are all that stand in the way of certain doom?

This story roughly follows the plot above - but it's eerie, twisted beauty lies in the way the tale comes together. From the beautiful and harsh mountain fastness of the setting, to the various intertwinings of the community, as we see a range of characters; some with fingers in the wrong pies, others with more than a little ambition, a few happy to exist off the grid and others just trying to fit in. As we delve into their inner workings and desires, the Alien creature slowly exerts control over the Town, and, as the climax approaches, you realise that the many separate strands of the townsfolk are the very weapon to conquer their impending dissolution and save themselves from a horrible, squelchy demise.

As usual - Scott tells a disturbing tale with far too much realism for comfort: I get shivers just imagining what is up there in those mountains...