Customer reviews

Christmas Is the Time to Say I Love You
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 September 2012
I am totally enthralled with Katharine McPhee's voice. I admit I only discovered her on the TV hit SMASH which I can't wait to come back with Season 2.

Katharine McPhee Christmas is the time' is a beautiful christmas album and if you are a fan of Katharine's either from her American Idol days or like me discovered her through SMASH you will not be disappointed with this album.

I first discovered this when I was searching for Katharine's music on iTunes after I had seen her on SMASH. It was available for download on iTunes in the UK so I downloaded. I was so mesmerised by the beauty of her voice and the particular songs on this album that I just had to purchase the hard copy CD too, so that I can listen to it in the living room on the main surround sound system. I am so looking forward to hanging the christmas decorations whilst Katharine sings beautifully in the background. It's should show you how much I love the album because I have paid for it twice, once on iTunes and again for the hard copy. Had I known how beautiful it was going to be I would have just purchased the CD and copied it onto my iPad but I really don't mind, it's worth every penny. I'm not usually one for buying christmas albums as over the years we have acquired quite a few so are never short of Christmas tunes should we need them. Also most albums are just copies of the same old songs or are just compilation albums with songs sung by the same artists that you already have on other albums. However there are at least four really lovely christmas songs that I have never heard before on this album and she sings the usual ones in such a beautiful individual style that you cant help but to be enthralled with an old song all over again. It's possible that what I think are new songs may be known to others, but I thought I knew all Christmas songs. All the songs, particularly these new ones really are lovely and one bought me to tears, I will leave you to decide which but if you are a parent I don't think you will find it difficult to pick it out.

I played snippets of each song to a Carer of mine and now she can't wait to get a copy so I have directed her to Amazon. I don't know if this is still the case but when I was trying to purchase this CD's Amazon UK was the only place you could buy it in the UK. So many thanks Amazon and keep up the good work bringing us CD's that aren't available elsewhere in the UK.

PS. If you love Katharine McPhee you won't be disappointed in another albums which is only available in the UK by Amazon, called 'Unbroken'. I purchased this one too. This particular album isn't even a available to download in the UK on iTunes only in the US but again Amazon UK come to the rescue and offer it for sale. It is a beautiful album and most the songs are very restful and I enjoy listening to it after having an acupuncture session and I find it mellows me out so I get the most out of my treatment. However if you are interested in this album you can listen to snippets of the individual songs on iTunes you just can't purchase it in the UK. You can also listen to snippets of the Christmas is the Time albums there too. Enjoy.
on 24 November 2012
Katharine McPhee's album isn't anything ground-breaking in terms of new holiday songs, but instead McPhee chooses to focus on the classic songs, and puts her own slant on them. There is only 10 tracks on the album, but for me it seems more than that and I enjoy listening to the entire album from start to finish. It opens with the classic track 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas', a song that pretty much everybody knows, but I loved this version from the first time I heard it. It's a jazzy, bluesy sounding song, with some fantastic brass sections, and McPhee works her voice beautifully over this. She doesn't need to screech, shout or overpower the backing track, instead complementing it beautifully and consequently it's a gorgeous arrangement of a classic song.

The tempo switches up immediately after this one ends with an upbeat and pop-py sounding version of the song 'Jingle Bells'. It mixes a fab beat with an organ backdrop, and while at first I didn't warm to this one, I know love it, and even Harry can't stop tapping his feet to the beat in the car! It's a really fun version of the classic song, and McPhee's voice is stronger in this one, yet she sounds like she's having fun too, making it all the more fun to listen to! Another change in tempo again with an original song by McPhee called 'It's Not Christmas Without You'. I usually find it hard to like new Christmas song, they're never as good as the old classics we all know and love, but this one has really grown on me, and now I love it. It has a beautiful, has a lovely slow rhythm, and I really like McPhee's voice here. Again, she's careful not to overpower the song, but complements the piano led backing and is so easy to listen to. I really do love this song, it's emotional but not too sickly sweet!

Up next is another Christmas classic, O Holy Night. Now, I find that I either love versions of this song or I hate them. For example, I hate Christina Aguilera's version, she murdered it with her warbling whereas Mariah Carey's is a lovely rendition. McPhee manages to surpass either of these performances for me, with a subtle and toned down version of it. She doesn't try to belt out any top notes, just sings it softly, and the soft backing drop works really well for this classic song. I have to confess to listening to this one on repeat, it's gorgeous. Again, McPhee picks up the tempo for the next one, another fun Christmas song called 'Silver Bells'. It's another piano led song, and almost has a bit of a country sound to it which is in McPhee's musical roots. It's a charming little song, and her all-American sounding voice sounds good over the happy sounding backing track. It isn't my favourite but is pleasant enough to listen to!

Up next is a cover of a little heard track called 'Christmas Is The Time' which was originally sung by American singer Billy Squier. It starts slowly with McPhee singing over a piano, but soon an upbeat backing track kicks in, and it's a great song to sing along too! It's quite vocally demanding in terms of pitch in parts, but McPhee manages it with ease, and her voice sounds so strong even belting out the higher notes, showcasing her talents. I really love this one, and while it isn't a classic sounding Christmas song, it's quickly gotten into my head! This is followed by a stripped down version of two well known Christmas carols, O Little Town of Bethlehem and Away in a Manger. O Little Town kicks off the arrangement, and is again stripped back with McPhee singing over piano and strings. She has immense control over her voice, and is a joy to listen to like this, and you can hear the emotion she puts into singing these beautiful songs, with a twist on the tunes we all know to sing along to. It blends seamlessly into my favourite Carol of all time, Away in a Manger. This is again a lovely arrangement, and manages to stay true to the meaning of the song. The blend of these two songs works perfectly, and it switches between them both as if they were made to be sung together.

Next up is another fun song, this time a cover of a 1947 song by Frank Loesser called 'What Are You Doing New Year's Eve'. I have to be honest and say I hadn't heard this one before I listened to Katharine's version on this album, but it's a fun song and the lyrics are lovely too when you listen to them. Katharine's voice is quite powerful on this one, but I love listening to her sing, she puts so much emotion into it, and it's another track that you will have you tapping your feet and fingers along to the catchy beat. 'White Christmas' is up next, and it's another slow ballad for McPhee. I love the sound of this one, again another jazzy sounding arrangement, and it's such an easy listening song. McPhee's voice lulls perfectly above the music, and it really sticks to the classic interpretation of the song, much like the entire album really. I love this song and its lovely to have on in the background in the evening. The closing track is 'Who Would Imagine A King'. This is another one I hadn't heard before this album, but it's a touching little song, sounding like it is sung from a parent to their child. The lyrics are beautiful, as is McPhee's arrangement, with the soft backing, and McPhee's stunning voice taking centre stage. A gorgeous ending to a beautiful album.

I've listened to this album far too many times considering it's still a good few weeks until Christmas, but it's one of those albums that I know I won't tire of listening to all year round, let alone at Christmas-time. It's an album packed with classic tracks, mixed with a new track, and some older songs you may not have heard of before. What holds it all together perfectly is Katharine McPhee's stunning voice. She doesn't look to overpower the songs, the emotion and the message within them, instead singing them from the heart, and she is a joy to listen to. There's a variety of musical genres in here, but I love how she has left the classics to be sung as we would all expect them to be. Piano and stringed instruments take the lead here, and consequently it's a gorgeous album to have quietly on in the background, or in your car as you're driving, which is where I love to listen to it! If you're at all tempted, I urge you to listen to the clips on Amazon and treat yourself to this delightful Christmas album. Perfect for the upcoming festive season, my must-buy musical album of Christmas 2012
on 15 February 2016
Heard this for the first time Christmas 2015 by another artist and loved it, then heard this version and preferred it. Great to add to my Christmas collection.
on 28 March 2016
Great songs to play around the festive season.
on 17 February 2013
I saw Katharine McPhee on SMASH and loved her voice. This album is pleasant but not outstanding and does not do justice to her vocal range. I'm a bit miffed that two of the tracks available on the version to download are missing from the CD.
It's the wrong time of the year to judge, perhaps. When I play it at Christmas, I may well feel differently.
on 4 August 2015
Received this very quickly and I have no complaints.
on 15 September 2015
on 22 February 2013
Brought this as a gift for someone - they said it was a nice collection of songs, lovely voice and good to put you in the christmas spirit!
VINE VOICEon 25 December 2010
To start off, this isn't a modern, commercial album that Katharine has released. Whist it may be targeted to the seasonal period, it is the sort of album that wants to bring christmas cheer to those that don't want chart music shoved down their throats.

The songs Katharine re-visits are familiar and whilst not the strongest songs for her voice, there is an energy and enthusiasm that is unmistakable. Each song has that Katharine signature. Very difficult when singing christmas songs that have been done by absolutely everyone.