on 14 August 2017
I bought this to connect to a very weak BT Openzone Wifi signal. My laptop's internal adapter could only see 5 local networks and BT wasn't one of them.

Using the TL-WN822N, I can now see 15 local networks incl. BT Wifi, though that is a weak signal. I'm receiving it on channel 11 and suspect there is interference from my next door neighbour who is blasting out his Wifi signal on channel 11.

Unfortunately, because it is still a weak signal, I do get variable speed ( 0.25Mbps to 6Mbps ). I suspect that is due to the BT Home Hub (or other load / environmental (eg microwave oven) factors) that I'm connecting to, rather than the TL-WN822N because whatever speed I get, it stays that speed for a while.

I also tried the "TP-LINK Archer T4UH AC1200 High Gain Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter - White", hoping it would give even better results. It didn't. The T4UH AC1200 could barely detect the BT Wifi signal and I couldn't connect at all. Though it can still see many more networks than my internal card.

I'm sending the T4UH version back and I'll either buy another TL-WN822N (for my wife) or try a different mfr. and look for higher sensitivity and gain. Unfortunately, these figures are not easy to get from Amazon's site or even the manufacturers. tp-link.com gives WN822N antenna gain as 3dBi but doesn't give a figure for the T4UH !

Another thing to note is that the WN822N comes with a reasonably flexible 1.5m USB 2 cable, whereas the T4UH is a thicker, less flexible, 1m USB 3 cable - not quite as easy to position.
on 30 July 2017
A particularly useless bit of kit. Despite being in clear view of the router it regularly drops signal, shuts down if asked to handle speeds over 3Mbs - yes, it's in a USB3 port - , connects when it fancies and today, after being in use (sporadically) for 3 weeks, stopped functioning altogether. It's is without a shadow of a doubt the worst wireless adapter I have ever used. And that's saying something given how many shonky adapters there are out there. And it's by no mean. at the cheap end of the market. Don't be fooled by it's smart looks. It's been replaced by a much more boring looking adapter which as of now works as expected. Avoid.
on 10 September 2017
I purchased this product because I suspected that the internal Qualcom Atheros internal wireless adapter was faulty. My internet connection was failing many times a day. Having now connected my TP-Link Archer adapter I now have a constant, faster and reliable internet connection. Easy installation and set up using the installation disk supplied. The TP Link adapter is wirelessly connected to my BT 4 Home Hub. consider the TP-Link Archer to be a first class product and is highly recommended if you have the internet issues I have described earlier.
on 23 June 2017
Absolutely terrible connectivity issues. I've got this plugged into my Asus Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard, so it's not a cheap PC. This Wireless stick constantly keeps disconnecting and stays disconnected as if it was unplugged (Device Manager STILL see's it). Then have to physically unplug it and plug it back in and hope it works.
I have tried it on another PC, and updated drivers. Even had Amazon replace it under 3 year Warranty, but same issue with the replacement one as well.
on 5 July 2017
Absolutely love the product, amazing improvement.

I had been using an Archer AC600 Wi-Fi adapter for a while and was only getting around 170mbps on my wireless connection to my computer. I recently bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and realised that devices are often getting in excess of 200mbps when connected to it so I decided to buy this product. Instantly noticed a speed increase after doing a speed test going from 170 to 212mbps Download and 40ms to 14ms Ping. Upload stayed at a consistent 12mbps.

Installation is easy and there are two setups you can use. You can plug the wireless receiver directly into the back of your PC however this may look bulky and can potentially get in the way of other ports. The other way is to use the bundled USB3 cable and cradle to have the receiver sit on a desk. This looks really nice and keeps everything looking clean.

Would highly recommend this product however something to bear in mind is that connection quality and speed will vary on a case by case basis. While someone may be able to get an amazing connection with their setup that doesn't always mean you will be able to get the same results on yours. That is not a fault of the product however.
on 28 August 2017
This product is not working well. The performance on 2.4GHZ is no better than an old Belkin USB dongle and the signal strength and quality is no better than a phone or tablet. In addition, the unit gets very hot. I will give it another 2 weeks and, if no improvement, will return it.The device is well engineered and presented - it looks good, feels good. shame its performance is dire.
on 14 March 2015
This adapter has great reception. Stronger signal strength (measured in decibels) than several other devices, including 2 HP i5/i7 Beats laptops and really notice the speed difference in connection when streaming data via NAS drives. - The built-in wifi adapters in my laptops can often cause media streaming over NAS to be choppy and freeze regularly but connect this usb adapter and those problems are resolved.
Provided usb cable is of good length, antenna's stay in desired position, good rubber grip feet.
on 23 December 2013
Review written after some weeks of trouble free use.

This bundle of joy comes with a USB lead which, as others have said, is as well as it would potentially block ports on your pc. It is relatively easy to install and performs better than micro adapters - the extra gain is useful in larger properties where wireless signal can be weak. A lot written already about the pros, so a few very minor cons.

1. I don't like putting mini cds in to drives; the box would take a full dize disk and the price differential is not wirth considering.

2. I don't like installing stuff from disk anyway. If you are visually impaired like me, you will need help as the install routine is not easy to access.

3. I have taken the utility off my pc and now just use the driver; some utility settings caused my network to vanish!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2016
I recently built a new PC for a friend but when it came to reusing his old Zyxel WIFI adapter, it was only giving 3-4 Mbps download speed on a BT Infinity Connection.

After looking around I decided to take a chance on the TL-WN822N; the property has some thicker walls and I hoped the extra antenna's might help with the signal slightly.

Installation was very straightforward - I downloaded the latest drivers from the TP Link website > unplugged the Zyxel adapter > plugged in the new TP Link unit and installed drivers via device manager.

After connecting to the BT Hub, the first speed test returned a result of 54 Mbps! Much more like it. Obviously I can't comment on the long-term effectiveness of the unit but so far I'm extremely satisfied with the results.
on 17 February 2012
I recently upgraded my broadband to a faster package (o2 12 months half price the works) and needed a new WiFi dongle as my old one was pretty slow and old! so i looked around on amazon until this one catched my eye works with n speed routers which i had just got, it was just the right fit.
I received it the other day it came well packaged with all the usual guff, I have a windows 7 64bit os and i made the mistake of following the actual instructions included (silly me) i just couldn't get the thing to work tried downloading the newer version from their website still no luck so i had a quick look on the comments again on here and people have mentioned they are having trouble getting it going.
one suggested re-installing windows which i think was a bit extreme, so i just did a roll back to an earlier state through windows, then i just plugged in the dongle and let windows download its own stuff (make sure your computers ethernet is connected while doing this) then used windows own wifi settings and it works like a charm, i don't recommend installing any of the supplied software or from their site if your using windows 7 64bit. just let windows download it automatically and use the built in software.

But after all that bother it works brilliantly i highly recommend it but i took 1 star off for all the bother the supplied software brings, so for once throw caution to the wind and dont bother with the instructions.