1,514
Style Name: 300M|Change

on 11 January 2013
Easy to install. Ignore the enclosed CD, go straight to the TP-Link site and download the TL-WN822N Version 2 (if your device is a V2) latest driver and utility. (Always a generally good practice).
I'm running the TL-WN822N on three machines with three different versions of Windows 7, including a Windows 64 bit ULTIMATE version.
I'm intrigued at some of the problems reported with Windows 64 bit installation in reviews here, so I suggest that a simple solution could be to run Windows services.msc and just check that ALL the windows services required for a wireless adapter are set to a startup type of Automatic.
Then reboot, and run the TL-WN822N utility.
Will generally solve the problem.
Surfing the net, I've seen some horrific "solutions" suggested.
Try the above, takes just a few moments, and hope it solves your Windows 64 bit problem.
77 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 April 2011
i have been using TP-LINK products for a few years now and this adapter is fantastic they have improved on this one with fantastic results my noise from other wireless products has halved -35db and i have a constant speed of 130 Mbps with no loss of connection from the hub the pc i am using this on is on a third floor in the house and i can honestly say im really impressed.great price from Amazon i give it 5 ***** for lots of good reasons you wont be disappointed TP-LINK top brand.works fine with windows 7 no driver issue cant use the TP-LINK desktop software but windows 7 does a great job.
review image
on 15 June 2013
This is great.

But....

Attention users of Windows8 64bit (and presumably Server 2008 editions????) Other reviewers say that this doesn't work, which is kind of true, it seems it is the driver installation that doesn't work (very lazy of TP-LINK not to update the installation software).

To install the drivers manually:
Go to the charm bar (menu on the right) and search for "device manager". If it doesn't come up, make sure you choose the "Settings" button under the search box.
When you have found device manager, click it to open it up.
A screen will open listing a lot of technical items.
Double click the "Network Adapters"
This will open up a sub-menu in the tree, showing the TP-LINK adapter (and probably some others). It will probably have a yellow icon (maybe exclamation mark?) showing there is an issue with it.
Right click on the TP-LINK and choose "update driver software"
Then choose "browse my computer for driver software" (make sure the driver CD is inserted in your computer)
Click the "Browse" button. A window will appear allowing you to look at all your disks.
Browse to your CD player, and then this location "<CD player drive>\TL-WN821N_WN822N\Driver Files\Windows 7 64bit" - so on the majority of home PCs it will probably be D:\TL-WN821N_WN822N\Driver Files\Windows 7 64bit
Once you have located the folder, click ok.
The device should now install and work!

You then need to attach to your wifi network (if not sure how, Google it) and enter the password.

All being well, you should now be on wifi at a nice high speed.
on 22 January 2014
Why did I buy this?
I bought a pre-built gaming pc off the internet and it didnt have built in wifi on the motherboard, I looked around the market and found this.

What came in the box?
The device it self, the usb wire that connect it to your pc, a mini disc and some paperwork.

How I set it up
I read some reviews saying it was 'plug and play' and windows downloads the software automatically. Mine did not. I have windows 7 home premium by the way. What I had to do was simpliy put the mini disc into my disc drive and it installed with out a single problem after that. You can also download it off their website but that was not an option for me, considering I had no internet.

What do I think?
I LOVE IT! I think it's amazing, since i've bought it i have been downloading games non stop, and it has not let me down at all so far! And the software for this is quick and easy to use. I'm am so happy I got this and not a internal solution.
review image
on 27 September 2013
I have bought the 300MBPs one, not that my internet is that good but just for the extra quality and signal strength. It was for my desktop which was made in 2006 running windows xp, but is now running windows 7. The computer had some kind of internet drivers installed but when i plugged it in the computer didnt recognize it, but that was fine! I just inserted the little disk that comes with it and up comes a menu asking you what one you have and to install its drivers. This took less than a minute, then after that it asked me to connect to my internet. All i need to do click my internet run downstairs to the router and press the WPS button and connected! It runs amazingly fast... compared to my old one i had bought from amazon that was really bad and only god 30% of signal strength, but this one gets full strength and can find routers i have never seen before from probably a few streets away! I do game alot, mainly minecraft things like capture the flag. It runs really fast, not lag or anything. My router only sits about 20m maybe less, and i can get atleast 6mbs through my router and a 46 ping. But you know, i live up in the north coast of scotland and you dont get good internet anywhere here! Even my phone's 3g can get better! Watching HD videos is easy it will take seconds to load it. A little green light on the device tells you if it is functioning and i guess when its flashing its busy receiving data and stuff, also comes with a good long cable. I really recommend going with this, dont bother buying any cheap ones like i did, i think i will send that one back.
review image review image
on 18 June 2013
I have Ver 2.0 of this device installed under Windows 7 and it is AWFUL! The device plops in and out of connection at frequent and random intervals, leaving you with the dreaded 404 page error and a crossed out wi-fi icon in your system tray.

It also has a tendency to dominate the USB Hub and boot off any external Hard Disk drives that you might have connected. Whether you are running them through a powered external hub or not, this device want to be 'spartacus' and won't share with anybody; this is a PITA when all of your work resides on an external drive and you can't connect it!

The supplied utility and drivers are the worst. It is only marginally better with legacy Atheros Chipset drivers.

If you buy this you are likely to be infuriated to the point of wanting to throw it out of the window - I have now gone back to connecting through my Netbook's integrated wireless card because this USB device is, to be blunt, not fit for its intended purpose for providing a reliable wireless N connection.
on 29 July 2015
Worked well with Windows 7. I had a little trouble today with the windows 10 update, as there is no Windows 10 driver yet. I tried to use the Windows 8.1 64-bit driver but that didn't work. Here's what I did:

1. Download the latest driver from the TP-Link website
2. Extract the driver onto a USB stick
3. In Windows 10, open Start > Settings.
4. Go to devices and find the 802.11n device that has a warning attached
5. Right click and update driver
6. Browse your USB stick to choose the Windows 8.0 64-bit driver. This was the only one which worked for me.
1212 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2014
I work in professional broadcast audio and on a recent project identified an urgent need to connect my high-end desktop computer, used for audio and video play-in and editing, to the wireless network installed in the studio space we were using.
Having Internet access had suddenly become a major priority during the rig day and with express mailing, Amazon delivered the TP-Link Wireless adapter in time to use just before we started recording on our first of fourteen hectic days.
Once out of the box, we were up and running online within a couple of minutes.
The software install is seamless, the adapter just sits there and does everything it's meant to do and the data rate capability more than matches most available Wi-Fi delivery specifications so while cabled 1 Gbps Ethernet would out-perform it, where that option is unavailable, the TP-Link Adapter will tick every box for a wireless install.
Since using it on location, I've trialled it back at base against our cabled network connections using our several 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks.
We have a 150Mbps downstream Internet connection - the TP-Link box doesn't quite match the speed of hard-wired Ethernet but for most applications you'd be hard-pressed to notice the difference.
I've yet to see it stall on any streaming application including full HD video feeds.
Cross-computer data transfer through the LAN is really fast for a wireless link and the box just does what it says on the tin.
Networking is, let's be honest, a fairly boring topic, and all that most people want is a gadget that you plug in, sorts itself out and then does what it's supposed to do with no faffing about and optimal performance.
The TP-Link Adapter is that gadget - you will not be disappointed.
on 14 March 2016
Great quality wifi adapter that seems to pick up the signal very well. I used to have a card in my PC, but it often would only pick up 2 bars of signal strength on 5GZ and hence give me 150-200mbs. This device gives me 4 bars so I am getting 500-600mpbs.

If you are installing on windows 10 forget the enclosed CD in package. Go straight to TO link website, and download the latest software if you are able, install the software then plug in the device. I struggled to get it to find the device with the drivers on the enclosed CD. Fortunately as I had an existing connection I was able to do this. If you don't you might want to use another computer to download the driver package to a USB drive and then install it from that.

This is a good product at a good price and once its up and running it works very well.
on 18 January 2013
- Packaging - 5/5
The item arrived in a nice compact box, and is protected nicely inside the box by a foam cut-out. It also had protective tape on the plastic surfaces. The tape was extremely easy to remove and left no marks behind. I'm impressed with how well packaed the item is just inside it's original box.

- Performance - 5/5
I've been connecting at only 64Mbps, but that's down to my router not being 802.11n certified. I have managed to get it up to 150Mbps since then. Don't misjudge this device on that comment though, I'm 99.9% certain it'll easily connect at it's speeds if the router supports it! I've had NO signal drop-out with this device and I'm suprised and impressed at how well it's worked so far. I was reluctant to move away from LAN cable to Wi-Fi, but this little adapter has proven to be a pleasant suprise so far.

- Appearance - 5/5
I love the smart white plastic finish on this device and how comfortably it sits on my desk. It has a 1.5m USB cable which gives it enough length to position it nicely on the desk somewhere, or even out of sight. The antennae can be adjusted to different angles.

- Pro's -
* Well-priced device that works as intended
* Product works well, no Wi-Fi problems (so far)
* Looks smart
* Medium length cable is 'just right' to position it nicely on the desk comfortably

- Con's -
* The LED light doesn't flash consistently with data traffic, it pulses. I'd rather just have a constant light than an occasional annoying pulse now and then. In a dark room, it lights up the wall near my desk and is quite annoying having this green glow blinking on and off.
* The mini-USB port on the device is 'upside down'