on 29 December 2013
I bought this modem as a cheap way to connect to BT in my new house (no infinity or cable). As I'm a bit of a network geek, I wanted something that could act purely as a modem with a better router on the other side of it (A Linksys E4200 running TomatoUSB).

I ran through the setup wizard, selecting VPI = 0, VCI = 38 and setting it to Bridged mode. I gave it the IP address 10.86.1.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

I finally disabled the DHCP server on it and plugged it in to the WAN port of my router.

On my router I went in to the WAN settings and changed the connection type to PPPoE and used the @btinternet.com address as my username. I set my router LAN IP address to 10.86.0.1 (in a different subnet to the modem).

My router then correctly used the modem to create a DSL link and it's working really well - I get good speeds for my area (although I have nothing to compare to for DSL) and all the features of my already owned router.

For the price and for those who already have a good ethernet based router (perhaps from your cable provider or if you had infinity) then I strongly recommend this product as a cheap way to get DSL connectivity.
on 11 December 2011
Until recently I'd not heard of TP-Link. When I finally did notice them, the styling, price point and some reviews of their kit made them seem cheap and nasty.

Well, I am here to refute that view! The TD-8840T is in their "newer" style which, while not exactly pretty, is perfectly acceptable (and a lot better than the retro black curvy style I refer to above). It was easy to set up with the built-in wizard (no, I didn't use the CD setup tool), doesn't get at all hot in operation (it's rated at 6 Watts max.), hasn't crashed or glitched on me once, and seems to hold the ADSL sync well. Besides the normal firewall and filtering settings, it has a fairly extensive array of features (such as SNMP, QoS, VLAN, CWMP) that most people will probably never use. The web configuration interface isn't elegant, but it gets the job done and is no worse than many others. My one gripe is that the system log facilitiy is short, cryptic and generally useless.

I bought this router to replace one of another make that was unreliable, and represents the sixth different make of router I've owned. Based on the performance of this device, I would not hesitate to buy another TP-Link product. I use it in conjunction with a much flashier (and much more expensive!) wireless device, but I like the TP-Link because this is the sort of kit you can configure once then forget about it, while it sits quietly doing its job.
on 8 August 2013
We needed to rethink our slow BT Home Hub to get a signal at the other end of the house. So in August 2012 I bought a Drayek Vigor 120 as a modem situated where the BT line came into the house, and took an RJ45/Cat 5 cable further into the house and attached an ASUS RT-N66U wireless router, with an ASUS EA-N66 as a repeater / range extender in line of sight, but serving the 'radio' shadow' caused by a large brick chimney. This combination got a strong wireless signal all over our house and improved our Broadband speed. We were very pleased with the result. However, after 6 months or so we found that we needed to re-boot the Draytek modem on an increasingly regular basis. It also got hot enough to brown the white gloss paint on the window ledge on which it sat. Last week, the ASUS RT-N66U reported that a cable wasn't attached to the modem. On further investigation we concluded that the Draytek modem was terminally failing, at just under 12 months old. Looking at reviews here on Amazon suggested buying the TP-Link TD-8817 modem router, but for £1 more I bought the TD-8840T, which has 4 LAN ports rather than just one. At £15, you can't go wrong, and its a small price to pay to sort out our household internet service -its surprising how much we rely on it. The TD-8840T was straightforward to get up and running, but I still needed to connect the ASUS wireless router. The ASUS unit didn't seem to like the fact that the TP-Link Modem was also configured as a router and was taking 192.168.1.1. After further research I found out how to configure the TP-Link device simply as a modem. On the modem control panel, click on Network, then LAN Settings. In the ATM Setting section, for a BT Broadband ISP account, set VPI to 0 and VCI to 38, and in the WAN Service Setup section choose 'Bridge' from the drop down selection list for WAN Connection Type. Then sign in to the control panel for your ASUS wireless router, which will now be at 192.168.2.1 and sign in to your BT Broadband account as a PPPoE connection type. You can then complete your Wireless setup. In hindsight, I could have saved £1 by buying the smaller TD-8817 with only the one LAN port, but they are otherwise very similar units. The Broadband speed checker seems to indicate that download and upload speeds are just as good as with the Draytek unit.
on 17 December 2015
Great little combined ADSL modem and four port router for those of us who prefer the security and dependability of doing things the good old fashioned wired way.
NO WIFI here and NO VDSL (FTTC fibre). Just good dependable wired adsl / adsl2/adsl2+ or at least as dependable as BT will allow (we're all at their mercy no matter which ISP your on - with the exception of virgin of course).
I've had this router running a number of devices from my home (which is around 3.5km away from my local exchange) it keeps a connection of around the 4mb mark and holds the connection well (a few line issues apart which were probably down to BT it (the TP link unit) has remained pretty much rock steady.
You could pay quite considerably more for another unit using a Broadcom or Lantiq chipset - which I myself considered as many people look down on units such as the TP Link TD-8840T which use a Trend chipset.
All I can really say from my own experience over the last 18 months is that the unit has performed pretty much faultlessly and done it as quick as any other modem router I've used over the last 20 years. Please bear in mind that all telephone lines / conditions vary to a lesser or greater degree depending upon the distance you are from the exchange, the line condition and the circumstances at the exchange itself (DSLAM contention etc).
For my own personal experience, minor nit-picking aside I really can't fault the unit, especially given the price paid.
on 10 April 2014
It's a cheap router and for a lot of people it would be fine.

I was trying to use it with DHCP on the WAN (ADSL) and static IP /28 on the LAN, unfortunately it could not cope with this.

However, I have to say that the TP Link Tech support was excellent, and they rapidly admitted that the product would not meet my needs, which saved me hours of messing around.
on 6 June 2011
I bought this to replace an old DSL-504 adsl modem. The 504 was still working but I wanted to try a new router to see if it would get faster speeds as various web sites estimated higher than I was getting. The 504 speed was 6624kps. This one gave me 7616kbps (and if I get interleaving turned off I should get this to 8128). In other words I'm getting the full 8MB with this router, it was definitely a good move replacing my 504.

This router does the job and does well. It wasn't hard to set up but I don't think I'm using it to its full potential. I should RTM :-). Note the supplied ethernet cable didn't work for me which had me confused for quite while.
on 17 April 2014
Got this to back to back test against current ADSL router as it was only £15. Sadly it is even more unreliable than my existing router, always disconnecting and attempting to re-connect to the internet. It got a good connection speed when it did, but it wouldn't last more than an hour and had a habit of repeatedly failing to re-connect until I rebooted it.
on 14 March 2012
I've owned this router a merely a day and will update if it fails me but so far it is a little faster and far more stable than my d link wireless router which gained Which? best buy status amazingly.

My setup is this:

Tplink adsl modem connected to apple wireless base station extreme.
Tplink adsl modem connected to tplink powerline adapters connected to tplink unmanaged switches so that my xbox, x2 smart tv's media pc, sky box and blu ray play do not need wireless dongles.

Sounds like a cluttered setup but its efficient and suprisingly cheap as ive gone tplink the whole way. I did try their wireless ultimate router but it just wasnt stable and opted for the hideously expensive apple router which is quite frankly brilliant and highly highly recommended.

The setup cd for this though was almost apple-esque it was very straightforward and held you hand right through the process.

Excellent product so far and abour 3-4 times cheaper than some competitors.

Point to note if you do suffer an unstable connection, try a different adsl micro filter and/or shortening the bt line. Mine is in the loft as that is the point of entry and I simply use 200mb powerline plugs around the house to connect everything up. Failing that buy a new master socket with adsl filter built in. I have literally replaced everything and im now getting a 16 meg connection via wireless in the next room to the router when before i could only manage 10-11 when plugged in via ethernet. Expendive but its a setup that i can keep between providers when i switch every 12 months :)
on 28 October 2014
Previous Netgear components had suffered some lightning damage. Bought this TP-Link modem router and an additional hub to replace. The previous set up required little or no TLC, configuration, re-syncing etc basically, it was always connected (we are about 2km from our exchange).

The TP-link connected fine to the exchange when installation was done, but since then it has had to be rebooted at least once a day. The connected hub/switch also plays up and even internal domestic (cabled) connections seem significantly slower. Do not ask about the existing WiFi access point! Since it has been partnered with TP-link components a lifespan of no more than 20 mins is the norm before anything that is connected to it loses the will to live.
on 6 July 2012
I purchased this router to replace an old Netgear DG834V1 router which I've had from my first days on broadband. It was originally specified for a WAN speed up to 10MHz and whilst it worked OK at 17MHz it kept disconnecting at intervals (at least once a week), so the time had come for a replacement.

The TD-8840T worked fine from the beginning, the only annoyance is that when you do a firmware upgrade you have to carry out a system reset, thus losing all the settings, but this is easily corrected.

Since installation it hasn't missed a beat and certainly hasn't disconnected as its predecessor was prone to do.