Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Steps Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 7 September 2010
The more of them I read the more I like short stories. They seem to fit in with a hectic lifestyle in a way that full-blown novels often don't, so thought I'd try this selection.

Offbeat does exactly what it says on the tin. Ten well-written short stories which are quirky, humorous and cover a wide range of subjects.

Pick of the bunch for me were 'Beans' with its novel take on an old story and 'The Golden Calf' and its tale of poetic rough justice. 'Touchpaper' and 'Hole In The Wall' were good stories which had the twists in the tale which the short story genre seems to demand.

As the blurb says, most of them are readable within a lunch hour, which for me was an added bonus.

All in all a humorous, quirky, light-hearted read and a decent companion for my other short story collections.
on 5 January 2011
I really enjoyed this short book. The stories it presents vary from Tales Of The Unexpected -stylee yarns, with twists in their tails, to sublimely ridiculous essays that make you laugh at the topics they parody (the first story - 'Beans' - falls into that latter category, and made me laugh out loud in parts).
on 14 January 2011
This is a great collection of clever short stories. The characterisation is brilliant throughout and the authors use of language makes each of these little gems. They are shorter than what some people may expect but so much is packed into the space there is no sense of disappointment. I will definately keep and eye out for future works.
on 2 March 2011
This was a competent enough collection of short stories, well written but - for me at least - without the "Wow" factor.

Quirky? Yes, I suppose so, but many of the endings lacked any real twist or surprise element, and the characters were not particularly engaging.

I read to the end, but probably won't go back to the beginning and read them again.

Easy to read, but not a patch on Dirty Old Town (And Other Stories).
on 31 December 2010
Purchased this book for my Kindle as I was looking for something to fill my travelling time to work. Thoroughly enjoyed the stories and would recommend them to anyone looking for a quick read. Beans and Hole in the wall were my favourites. Looking forward to further stories from this author.
on 28 February 2011
Funny little stories, perfect for those of us with a short attention span.

Definitely worth the purchase price.
on 19 August 2013
I am a teenager that used to read all the time and have recently stopped. I'm not so keen on reading for a long time and prefer reading at night but I can get pretty tired. This book was brilliant with a massive range of genres and stories so I could read one every night. There are quirky characters and fantastic, always unexpected, resolutions to each story which is always makes you finish the page with a smile on your face. I would recommend this to anyone as it's well worth the money!
on 9 September 2010
Don't usually read many short stories but thought I would have a go with this collection. Liked them a lot. Some funny tales with good one-liners. As the introduction says, they're not going to change the world but they're an amusing diversion for a while. A good collection.
on 23 November 2010
I love short stories and these were not a let down. Never read anything by David Heaton before but hope to again.
on 22 August 2013
I chose one star because the content was so immature. No challenge at all. I would not recommend it because it's the kind of read that is frustrating. I hoped it would improve as I read beyond the third story. I wasted my time doing that, because it did not. I abandoned it. I actually deleted it from my Kindle such was my irritation and would have thrown it in the bin had it been a physical book. This is not the kind of book you publish. The person who wrote it, is clearly still learning how to select good and engaging stories that are well written. I'd recommend reading Raymond Carver for reference. Taking money for old rope i's not how you get on the good side of readers. DH needs to go back to the drawing board.