Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£9.99

on 5 June 1999
This biography-for-posterity is NOT a literary biography,but crosses every 't' and dots every 'i'of Chatwin's painfully slow maturation. Good effort on Nick's part, but WHY people bothered with Big Baby Brucey is far more evident from Clapp's briefer study. Nick, as a writer, could've stopped to enjoy BC's writing between the seething condemnations and the repetitive remarks about talkativeness. But what a burden to be BC's biographer, and hence a worthy effort.
on 20 August 1999
Nicholas Shakespeare scythes away to the core of the Bruce Chatwin myth to reveal a man rounder, mellower, more fascinating, if that's possible than his 'fiction.' Sussanah Clapp's personal memoir of Chatwin only gives us half a man by comparison with Shakespeare's thorough dissection. Bruce Chatwin was driven to discover. Can I cope with a morning in Waitrose after reading this book? Shouldn't I be chanting in the hills above Mount Athos?
on 7 April 2015
Excellent writing and such an interesting story to tell. As someone else has written, this is a work better than anything the subject of the book ever produced.
on 14 November 2014
I did not order this book. I ordered Songlines by Bruce Chatwin.
Can you correct ???
on 13 November 2014
What I wanted
on 2 March 2013
Unfortunately I did not agree with the critics on the book about Chatwin. I was bored by him and have leftmore than half unread
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse