Customer reviews

Limmy's Show [DVD] [2009]
Format: DVD|Change

on 13 January 2011
I have never watched such a boring un comical DVD in my life. I'd happily watch paint dry than this poor excuse for comedy. Save your money and go see a real comedian. This is poor!
77 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 22 September 2010
It's very important that you ignore the (currently only) other review on here. Do NOT cast your mind's eye to Family Guy at any stage when enjoying the truly original comedy of Brian Limond. Don't cast it anywhere, in fact, because for the most part this is like nothing you've seen before. Originality comes at a price, yes, though the gods at BBC have commissioned a second series despite the first only being watched by what you would probably call a 'cult following'.

There's a great risk that a lot of people, lord forgive me, won't 'get this', as it's very much a personal comedy- one man's mindset broadcast nationwide in a bizarre conglomeration of truly niche comedy and mainstream availability. I, myself, me personally that is, enjoyed just about everything Limmy served up over six episodes (and a pilot that I can't remember if I've seen or not). I feel he is a kindred spirit, honestly, like he's reached through my eye sockets and tickled my brain. You don't get many instances in life of an entertainment product feeling like a shared joke, but if you find this appeals to you, you'll get that feeling in spades. You'll go all the distance.

The (currently only) other reviewer describes the show with a particular word that is lampooned therein without the slightest trace of irony. So, consulting the first line of the previous paragraph, you'll have to have a particularly flavoured comic taste for this to getcha. Yes, there's a man dressed as a lady in a recurring sketch, but there's so much more that's genuinely beyond description to set it apart from basically everything else the beeb's put out in the last few years (excepting spiritual sister-show Burnistoun and anything from the peerless Serafinowicz or Iannucci).

I hope this doesn't come across as an apologetic review: I couldn't care less if you don't like this. I just don't want you to waste your money when you could be buying Ricky Gervais' Science, The Inbetweeners Series 3 or a bib. That's my first dig at this Christmas' big comedy hitters, and it won't be the last!

It's nice to see that BBC is releasing this with a good few extras, from standard commentary on the pilot to video comedy for the full 6-episode series. Limmy's insights into the character origins will either delight you or ruin the mystique of some of the odder sketches, and it's not something you're likely to listen to again. Most interesting, however, are the included versions of certain sketches from the series as made by Limmy as long as 8 years ago at home, many of them unchanged from the final versions save a few subtle variations.

In the meantime, if you enjoy truly fresh and funny comedy from up North (no, further still), invest your currency hereat.
33 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 November 2011
Just goes to show that talentless morons can get their fifteen minutes of fame. Total and utter waste of money, don't bother.
44 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 October 2011
Scottish comedy doesn't have a good name- rightly so, most of it is full of quirky in-jokes and mannerisms that doesn't translate much further than the Glasgow region, let alone south of the border. This show is different, and don't let the broad accents fool you- this is not 'by the people, for the people'- Limmy's Show aims its comedy much higher, playing to fans of offbeat shows such as monty python and perhaps the twilight zone.

It's quite arty. The credits show that Limmy writes, directs, does the animations-- it is most definitely Limmy's show. That can be quite difficult to take in at first, as there's not much space for any of his supporting cast- but perhaps this adds to the show. It's quite intense, the same guy, again and again and again, using some quite complicated wordplay-- it's not aimed at fans of 'Saturday night at the whatever'-- Limmy really wants the viewer to invest their time. In my opinion, it's worth the payoff, with some amazing laugh-out-loud moments in dee-dee and the adventure call sketches.

I have a dream that I'm in england, and I'm shouting, 'jump the chasm' in a crowded bus, and everybody understands where I'm coming from because they've seen the show too. It's a travesty that this hasn't aired anywhere other than scotland. Roll on series 3. Bring it. Comedy in 2011 veers between unpleasant and lazy- this is neither. Go on, pick a number. jump the chasm.
on 2 November 2015
More good laughs from Limmy. His humour is probably only to be fully appreciated by Scots with their own particular sense of humour but no harm in others having a look and checking it out. First class Scottish comedy at a great price on DVD if you did not catch the series on BBC Scotland.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 April 2011
After watching and absolutely loving series 2 (to the point of obsessive dribbling)I brought this DVD hoping for more proper belly laughs! For some reason this DVD did not really make me laugh (apart from Deedee who is wondrous). My husband and me tried to work out what was missing. Not sure if the same editor was used, it hasn't got the same pace and sketches seem to go on a bit too long and are explained too well. Could be I need to watch again (which I will, might have been the way the light shone through my windows that day). I give it 3 stars as it was kind of average. Although I would give series 2 5 stars and hope they let him make more!!
on 12 January 2011
A genuinely funny, surprisingly accessible series considering the never-ending sarcasm and bile on his Twitter (@DaftLimmy). Under all of that he seems like a well meaning and hard working man, and the DVD is well worth getting. The series was the funniest thing to be on TV in the last few years, if you don't count the third series of Little Britain.

And I'm not counting the third season of Little Britain, because it wasn't funny. ARF.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 June 2011
A chance viewing of Limmy's Show on Iplayer changed my life.
Don't know what made me check the description, I mean it sounds like a kids show about a sheep.
But I did. And I am so glad that I did.
I'd got a bit sick of the formulaic sketch shows being shown over the last 10 years or so. The Fast Show made it acceptible to have variations on a theme each week and allthough brilliant, it's shadow fell hard on british comedy making it predictable and boring. This is not that. This is something else. Brian Limmond can pull comedy out of thin air. Very inventive, very funny. Although on a budget, Limmy has created a truly original and hilarious comedy that really raises the standard. A lot of the time you don't even know why you're laughing. A fantastic comic actor too. I do genuinely think this guy is a genius. How he knows it will work when writing this stuff is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, it's not all bizzare crazy stuff there are plenty of laughs and observational stuff too. But you gae a lot mer, wi this guy.
From wan chance viewing I hae been introduced to other excellent Scottish comedy.
The wonderful Burnistoun Series 1 [DVD- now to be given an airing on BBC2! YASSSS!
And Gary Tank Commander [DVD, which it awright n'aw.
Coupled wi DaftLimmy on Twitter ets pretty much tain over ma life, like that. Ooosh.
on 2 May 2016
Ye want this mushroom?
on 21 September 2015
well packaged,good value for money,
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse