Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: DVD|Change

on 12 January 2011
A genuinely funny, surprisingly accessible series considering the never-ending sarcasm and bile on his Twitter (@DaftLimmy). Under all of that he seems like a well meaning and hard working man, and the DVD is well worth getting. The series was the funniest thing to be on TV in the last few years, if you don't count the third series of Little Britain.

And I'm not counting the third season of Little Britain, because it wasn't funny. ARF.
It's very important that you ignore the (currently only) other review on here. Do NOT cast your mind's eye to Family Guy at any stage when enjoying the truly original comedy of Brian Limond. Don't cast it anywhere, in fact, because for the most part this is like nothing you've seen before. Originality comes at a price, yes, though the gods at BBC have commissioned a second series despite the first only being watched by what you would probably call a 'cult following'.

There's a great risk that a lot of people, lord forgive me, won't 'get this', as it's very much a personal comedy- one man's mindset broadcast nationwide in a bizarre conglomeration of truly niche comedy and mainstream availability. I, myself, me personally that is, enjoyed just about everything Limmy served up over six episodes (and a pilot that I can't remember if I've seen or not). I feel he is a kindred spirit, honestly, like he's reached through my eye sockets and tickled my brain. You don't get many instances in life of an entertainment product feeling like a shared joke, but if you find this appeals to you, you'll get that feeling in spades. You'll go all the distance.

The (currently only) other reviewer describes the show with a particular word that is lampooned therein without the slightest trace of irony. So, consulting the first line of the previous paragraph, you'll have to have a particularly flavoured comic taste for this to getcha. Yes, there's a man dressed as a lady in a recurring sketch, but there's so much more that's genuinely beyond description to set it apart from basically everything else the beeb's put out in the last few years (excepting spiritual sister-show Burnistoun and anything from the peerless Serafinowicz or Iannucci).

I hope this doesn't come across as an apologetic review: I couldn't care less if you don't like this. I just don't want you to waste your money when you could be buying Ricky Gervais' Science, The Inbetweeners Series 3 or a bib. That's my first dig at this Christmas' big comedy hitters, and it won't be the last!

It's nice to see that BBC is releasing this with a good few extras, from standard commentary on the pilot to video comedy for the full 6-episode series. Limmy's insights into the character origins will either delight you or ruin the mystique of some of the odder sketches, and it's not something you're likely to listen to again. Most interesting, however, are the included versions of certain sketches from the series as made by Limmy as long as 8 years ago at home, many of them unchanged from the final versions save a few subtle variations.

In the meantime, if you enjoy truly fresh and funny comedy from up North (no, further still), invest your currency hereat.
44 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2010
I'm Canadian - I'd not heard of Brian Limond but I bought the DVD because I'm a fan of UK comedy. A nice pleasant surprise. The comedy itself isn't exactly my style, but yeah, it's funny. The interesting thing is that Mr. Limond comes off as being a genuinely nice man who seems genuinely interested in entertaining his audience. For that alone I wish him well. Go on, buy it!
on 22 June 2011
A chance viewing of Limmy's Show on Iplayer changed my life.
Don't know what made me check the description, I mean it sounds like a kids show about a sheep.
But I did. And I am so glad that I did.
I'd got a bit sick of the formulaic sketch shows being shown over the last 10 years or so. The Fast Show made it acceptible to have variations on a theme each week and allthough brilliant, it's shadow fell hard on british comedy making it predictable and boring. This is not that. This is something else. Brian Limmond can pull comedy out of thin air. Very inventive, very funny. Although on a budget, Limmy has created a truly original and hilarious comedy that really raises the standard. A lot of the time you don't even know why you're laughing. A fantastic comic actor too. I do genuinely think this guy is a genius. How he knows it will work when writing this stuff is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, it's not all bizzare crazy stuff there are plenty of laughs and observational stuff too. But you gae a lot mer, wi this guy.
From wan chance viewing I hae been introduced to other excellent Scottish comedy.
The wonderful Burnistoun Series 1 [DVD- now to be given an airing on BBC2! YASSSS!
And Gary Tank Commander [DVD, which it awright n'aw.
Coupled wi DaftLimmy on Twitter ets pretty much tain over ma life, like that. Ooosh.
on 28 December 2011
I love this show. I live in America and bought a multi region dvd player just so I could watch this dvd over and over. The extras make it completely worth it, much better than rummaging through youtube to find sketches.
on 23 January 2016
This is such a gold mine! Honestly it's probably the funniest sketch show I've ever seen. Brain Limond is simply a comedy genius, my stomach is literally in pain right now, I can't get over how funny it is. How have I only just discovered this now?
on 6 December 2010
Limmy's Show! is perhaps a region-specific humour because of the dialect and language, but the humour for me is far deeper and relevant that anything else out there just now.
on 2 November 2015
More good laughs from Limmy. His humour is probably only to be fully appreciated by Scots with their own particular sense of humour but no harm in others having a look and checking it out. First class Scottish comedy at a great price on DVD if you did not catch the series on BBC Scotland.
on 16 November 2011
I really didn't like the first episode. At least not while I was watching it. But over the course of the next few shows, Limmy's Show weedled it's way in and I have to say it it's a belter. Mr Limond, has a singular view of the world around him, simultaneously despising and loving people, or at least the things their behaviour. It can be quite cruel, but there's some fine observation here, and obviously - Falconhoof.
The second series is even better.
Was this ever shown in England?
on 26 October 2011
Scottish comedy doesn't have a good name- rightly so, most of it is full of quirky in-jokes and mannerisms that doesn't translate much further than the Glasgow region, let alone south of the border. This show is different, and don't let the broad accents fool you- this is not 'by the people, for the people'- Limmy's Show aims its comedy much higher, playing to fans of offbeat shows such as monty python and perhaps the twilight zone.

It's quite arty. The credits show that Limmy writes, directs, does the animations-- it is most definitely Limmy's show. That can be quite difficult to take in at first, as there's not much space for any of his supporting cast- but perhaps this adds to the show. It's quite intense, the same guy, again and again and again, using some quite complicated wordplay-- it's not aimed at fans of 'Saturday night at the whatever'-- Limmy really wants the viewer to invest their time. In my opinion, it's worth the payoff, with some amazing laugh-out-loud moments in dee-dee and the adventure call sketches.

I have a dream that I'm in england, and I'm shouting, 'jump the chasm' in a crowded bus, and everybody understands where I'm coming from because they've seen the show too. It's a travesty that this hasn't aired anywhere other than scotland. Roll on series 3. Bring it. Comedy in 2011 veers between unpleasant and lazy- this is neither. Go on, pick a number. jump the chasm.