on 23 November 2010
I bought this as I love Cyndi and have many of her CDs. This is totally different to any of her old stuff but it is great. As the title of the album suggests it is all about the blues. There are some great tracks and she sings with some fantastic blues singers. I was a little worried how I would react to this album as quite a few singers take a new direction with disastrous results. However she did a brilliant job and well worth purchasing!
on 3 January 2011
I can't say I was a fan of Cyndi Lauper, but I saw her on Joules Holland and bought the album, sheer brilliance, had it nearly 3 months and still playing it. her quirky voice is so good with this blues album, quite unexpected and incredibly brilliant. it seems some of the blues purists are not keen, but this puts a fantastic new dimension to it. If I could have given 6 out of 5 I would have.
on 16 November 2010
It's not the kind of music Cyndi plays in her albums. The previous one contained a bunch of songs in a dancish style and this time she dares to sing blues. For this she wraps herself with some blues legends and shows how versatile her voice is. If you a fan of hers you'll enjoy this album even if for my point of view it's not the best she has made till now.
VINE VOICEon 19 October 2010
I have no other albums by Cyndi Lauper. But I heard her singing a track from the "Memphis Blues" album on "Later with Jools Holland"..the tune really rocked and on that basis I bought the album from amazon.co.uk. For a Blues fan like me I have found it very enjoyable indeed..a good foot tapper. Maybe listen to tracks on the web to see if you agree!
on 9 July 2011
This album has been on repeat play in my car for a few days now...and that doesn't happen very often. As a big fan of blues, and electric/chicago blues in particular, this hits the spot. Charlie Musselwhite on harmonica is superb and her voice just suits every selection. Buy it, listen to it and say that I am wrong!
on 24 November 2010
I bought this album as I have loved Cyndis voice for years. This album did not disappoint me. I love the jazz club feel about it. Her voice keeps improving with the years.Its magical.Cyndi has proven that "Girls still want to have fun" and you will enjoy this creative album.
on 4 January 2011
I never rated Cyndi Lauper when she was popular but after seeing her on Jools Holland and buying this CD I have been totally converted - Anyone who likes the blues or just likes to hear different music should definately listen to this. Absolutely fantastic!
on 20 May 2011
Cyndi Lauper seemed dangerously close to being swallowed up by designer pop at one time but here she's back in Brenda Lee territory and all the better for it.
The standout track here is Rollin' & Tumblin' with a nice bottleneck guitar sound.
on 6 December 2013
Wonderful in triplicate. A real surprise! Heard a track on the radio and risked ordering it. Fantastic! Can this be the same person as the "girls who want to have fun" one? Raunchy with class!
on 27 July 2011
I love this for its authentic and committed feel and its excellent production values. A pleasant surprise, if I am honest...