Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

on 9 February 2013
After the masterful Red Bones I couldn't wait to read the fourth of the Shetland quartet, but this has been the only one of Cleeves' books I haven't liked. It's as if she got bored with the lot of them, or even as if someone else has written this one - I found the plot was predictable from around the middle of the book, and became something of a cliche as an ending to an otherwise terrific saga. Even the characters weren't so well drawn as usual, the usual atmospheric brilliance seemed laboured. A shame, but I won't bother with the sequel.
on 14 August 2015
I really enjoy Ann Cleeves books. The way she writes about Shetland, the landscape, the weather and the Shetlanders, make it all very real, without being too descriptive. As I finished one book I was eager to start the next one. The plots are complicated enough, but not so, that I feel I have to recap to get back into the story. The characters are totally credible as she mixes work with pleasure. I would recommend her to anyone who enjoys a good detective story that's entertaining without being so complex that it becomes hard work.
on 25 April 2014
Lots of people seem to love this book and although for me its not bad by any means, I don't quite get where the adulation is coming from.

My big problem is that Jimmy Perez seems to be a bit if a rubbish detective. What does he actually do? He interviews the suspects, but we don't really see much of that and it doesn't shed a lot of light on whats happened. He wanders about the island but doesn't seem to have any sort of plan. He takes a lot of photo's which are then forgotten. He gets involved with minor characters who don't really impinge on the plot. Oh, and he lets his artist girlfriend get involved in a bit of sleuthing (oops).

Throughout all of this he never gives the impression that he has any idea what he's doing. Somewhere along the way the Fiscal tells him he's the best detective she's ever met! God help the Scottish constabulary if that's the case.

Finally the plot is solved in a rush and the "shocking thing which happens at the end" happens and leaves the book and the reader feeling a bit out of balance.

So, I quite enjoyed it, but I'm not desperate to read another.
on 3 June 2017
The Shetland series has certainly piqued my interest in the Shetland isles - it seems to have an unpredictable weather system and a unique beauty. I will have to put it on my wish list.
on 8 May 2017
I enjoy these books as they are wellconstructed and there is always an unexpected twist in the story line. Look forward to reading more of the Shetland series.
on 14 April 2014
I have come to thoroughly enjoy the character of Jimmy Perez, a gentle and sensitive man. The setting of the Fair Isles is conveyed beautifully and plays an essential part in the mood of the story. My only gripe would be that I believe one character would have spoken up earlier destroying the build-up of suspense in doing so hence 4 stars. Having said that, it was a great read.
on 27 September 2014
A bit ho-hum, this book. Great settings and interesting characters, but some of the detail of their situations was a little tedious to wade through. The sudden putting-together of the clues (which were hidden from the reader) stretches credibility, and the behaviour of some of the characters was also hard to believe.
on 17 July 2017
A brilliant book just what you have come to expect from Ann Cleeves. I can't wait to start another book. I'm out of sequence so i will read them all again in the right order this time, thank you Ann Cleeves for being such a wonderful authoress I enjoy all your books. They are gripping and so wonderful t read.
on 9 May 2014
Excellent writing and story-line line was really good. However, i felt the ending let it down a wee bit, to me the idea of the final murdered was rather ridiculous - a twist too far that added nothing.
on 13 June 2017
Not the best I've read from Ann Cleeves but passable .