TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 September 2010
While Norton had a reputation in the past for hogging resources, this has been much improved since 2006. The latest version builds on these improvements by adding more features, without compromising performance. I have upgraded from the 2010 version (for free, since I had a valid subscription), and I let the upgrade centre uninstall the old version and re-install the new version. The entire process took just over a minute and a half, plus a restart of the computer. (Seriously!)

After installing, I ran a quick scan of my computer, which took 30 seconds, followed by a full scan which took just under an hour. This is certainly comparable to other security suites, if not better, so performance shouldn't be a worry for anyone considering this package. I was also using my computer while these scans were taking place, so the times may be a little longer than if the computer was idle.

This package is also set up so that updates will take place around every 5 minutes, and scans (both quick and full) will occur when your computer has not been used for 10 minutes. This time can be adjusted to suit your own preferences. Once you return to the computer, the scan instantly pauses, and will resume when the computer is idle again.

Packed into this suite are many features, some of them new for 2011. As expected, it contains a firewall and virus and malware sweeping tools. But in addition to this, many other features are included. Firstly, applications which are running on your computer are analyzed, and if they are deemed to be safe by Norton, they are eliminated from future scans, thus saving time. Downloads are also examined, and any which are found to be dangerous are blocked. Another feature is SONAR protection, which looks for unknown threats by looking for suspicious program behaviour and blocking it. Browsing the web is also protected through Safe Web and Norton Identity Safe, which tells you which web sites are safe before you visit them, and stores your passwords securely, thus eliminating the need to remember many different user names and passwords.

New features for 2011 include a facebook scan, which scans links posted to your homepage. This shows which are safe and which are dangerous. This can be posted to your wall if desired to inform other of the results. Performance alerts have also been included, which let the user know if a program is unexpectedly using a lot of resources. This can however be turned off for any applications you trust. Finally, Norton Rescue Tools is another new feature, which can be used in the event that your computer cannot be restored by any other means. These work by creating a safe boot environment, from which the malware can be eliminated.

As can be seen, this really is a comprehensive package which contains everything the user could possibly need! Performance is certainly not an issue anymore, neither is the range of services on offer. If there was anything I could complain about, I'd say that perhaps the user interface isn't as user friendly as previous years, although it isn't terrible! They also have introduced links to other Norton services such as online backup, which I'm not terribly keen on, as it's very expensive for all you get. Additionally, at the bottom of the home screen, an activity map has been introduced which shows where all the latest threats are occurring. To me, this serves no useful purpose other than aesthetics. None of these things however would prevent me buying this package, or encourage me to roll back to the 2010 version, as to me, it's still the best package on offer.
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2010
Other reviews speak highly of the 2011 version. The 2010 version was impressive, working very effectively in the background. It was easy to load and for computer illiterates like me, was problem free. The 2011 version has been a disappointment, primarily with the lack of the 2010 easy to use "spam/not spam" tab. Indeed I have yet to find any evidence of any spam being filtered. I contacted Symantec, whose technician promptly and skillfully remotely controlled my computer but only ended up showing me how to transfer in-box spam to an existing Norton spam folder (from the 2010 version). Nothing has found its way there since and I am still receiving spam! Very disappointed at what appears to be an omission in this new version.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 October 2010
I needed to find a new AV product this year, as my current package dated back to 2005. From a lot of research carried out, It was clear that the front runners were Norton and Kaspersky. I installed them both and ran them for a period of time as free trials to assess which was the best package. Kaspersky definitely has more configurable features, and offers the ability to 'sandbox' new applications to prevent them from harming your PC. Both packages offer the ability to run an extra secure 'web browser sandbox' which prevents other local apps such as keyloggers from spying on your browsing activity.

After a couple of weeks trying both, it was clear that Norton Internet Security 2011 was the most unobtrusive, consuming the least resources of the two and interfering with my work the least, whilst apparently flagging up suspect files which Kaspersky missed - Norton 2011 currently rates highest for threat identification in all the reviews I've read, so that makes sense. The other issue I have with the Kaspersky package was the interface. After a scan, it would flag up threats, but when I would attempt to select 'fix' it would do nothing at all. Further research leads me to think that there may be issues with the 2011 Kaspersky package. They're still not fixed in the current edition as of October 2010.

The icing on the cake is the Spam filter in Norton, which is effective, and flags up few if any false positives. All in all, the Norton Internet Security 2011 package is all that I need (I think the 360 package is overkill for me) and I'm extremely happy with it. It does what it should do without being a complete resource hog. There's nothing really worthy of criticism, and that's quite unusual for a software package.

Highly Recommended.
on 7 January 2011
Once again Norton have produced an outstanding computer security software program. It is very simple to install, particularly in my case since all I had to do was enter my new product key when prompted by Norton Internet Security 2010...

One of the most useful of this product's features is the Idle Time checks that it does when your computer is turned on, but not in use. This means that new virus definitions (for example) are downloaded and installed 'in the background' which guarantees that you have the most up-to-date protection.

The product's user interface is very user-friendly and easy to understand and those checks which you deem unnecessary can be switched off.

This product represents very good value for money and it is no wonder that Norton are one of the market leaders in computer security software products.
on 17 July 2011
I have used Norton since about 2004 so am a bit biased. My PC seems a little faster since upgrading from 2010 version. Purchasing through Amazon was significantly cheaper than from Symantec directly. I also prefer having the original disc rather than relying on an online fix if there is a problem. As usual delivery was swift and reliable. Recommended.
on 26 November 2010
Having upgraded from NIS 2010 I was hoping for a "less resourse intensive" programme and have to say that Norton have managed to make an even better programme. Whilst Norton is not everyones cup of tea I have used their products for over 10 years and have managed to remain virus free.

It simply does what it says on the tin and I can highly recommend it.
on 26 November 2010
well the programme is fine to my knowledge but im not going to load it untill my old one is up however it does not come in the packaging pictured which has taking me by surprise. so i am hoping it will still be ok and work. it comes with a code and cd in an envelop. im sure it works fine but thought people should know incase they wonder what it is.
on 26 December 2010
This is my Christmas present to you!
I saw in the December 2010 Which magazine that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is very nearly as good as Norton 2011 and its FREE to all Windows users. In fact Which were only disappointed in MSE because it didn't immediately scan a memory stick when inserted, otherwise it was as good as Norton, but this can be changed in MSE by simply ticking a box under Settings> Advanced> Scan Removable Drives. A colleague at work who uses computers full time said he has used MSE for a long time and has not had any problems at all. I returned the Norton upon receipt and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials FREE OF CHARGE. Its quick and easy to download and self-installs. - Happy Christmas!
44 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2011
I think norton sercurity is excellent. It is very reliable in finding and preventing problems before they can harm my pc, and i have complete confidence in it. I have heard people say that norton slows your pc down, well that may have been the case at one time, but i can say i have not experienced any appreciable slowing of my pc. I particularly like the 'safe site' feature which clearly indicates whether or not a site is safe (from search results) before you enter it. I also find it very simple to use in all regards. All in all i highly recommend this product.
on 24 August 2011
Ordered the Norton Internet Security 2011 from Amazon because I have been using it for the last five years and am very happy with the features. The only thing I am not happy with is the high price Norton want to charge me for renewing at the end of each year. So it is cheaper (and easier) to order the next version from Amazon and just let the program cd uninstall the old version and reinstall the new one. I have done this for the last three years, have had no problems and get to keep all my settings as well.