Customer reviews

Waiting For The Sun
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£3.49

on 31 March 2017
It's difficult to chose a favourite song or a favourite album by The Doors. Each album is a special journey. Waiting For The Sun is special to me because it gives me good positive memories. Each song paints a perfect picture of enlightenment and gives the listener an insight into the legendary band. I enjoyed the bonus studio takes and booklet. And for an inexpensive price you can own a part of musical legacy! Highly recommended! My number one Summer album! AC
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 March 2015
The Doors' third album when released in 1968 contained no extended musical piece like `The End' or `When the Music's Over', and revealed a softer side. Mixed in with the more up-tempo pop songs `Hello I Love You' and `Love Street' are poignant ballads like `Summer's Almost Gone', `Yes, the River Knows', and the powerful `Wintertime Love'. Robbie Krieger proves he can play Classical guitar on `Spanish Caravan' and there is a streak of impassioned social-political protest with `The Unknown Soldier,' which unfortunately has not aged well.

On the 2007 40th Anniversary re-mix, Morrison's unfinished `Celebration of the Lizard' is offered as a rambling 17-minute extra, along with three previously unheard takes of the only part of his original epic deemed worthy of inclusion on the album, `Not to Touch the Earth'. Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore also demonstrate their versatility by performing an out-and-out Baroque classical piece, namely Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor.

Overall `Waiting for the Sun' is something a bit different from this versatile and unpredictable band, a mid-point in their five highly creative years before Morrison's untimely demise on 3rd July 1971. It's full of good stuff: if you've never heard it, check it out.
on 12 October 2017
This was on my bucket list of vinyl records to own before I go to that great record shop in the sky. It is a great record but I already had a version on cassette yeah I am that old. The sound quality is great and has no second hand pops and clicks on it being a brand new reissue. I don't think it is their best album but the Door's did not know how to do bad records as they all have their own merits. I had given up trying to find it on a car boot sale and have started to buy reissues as the rarity increases and the chance of finding a good condition copy decreases. It still sounds fresh and great and completes my Doors collection what else can I say. I love the Doors and any one who does not is weird in my opinion . What a band with just the perfect blend of pop , physchedelica and more. We won't see their like again ! Mmmm where's that Rival Son's record ? Enjoy .
on 21 August 2017
I first got interested of the doors when my relative had a boyfriend in which he was a big fan. I heard a lot of the doors among the pupils in my school. This album is very enjoyable 'hello I love you' is great and 'not to touch the ground' is sinister, with its manic warbling keyboard sound and its fast beat. I really love many of the tracks on this long player.
on 28 May 2015
Fantastic album fantastic price. Well made and well worth the money. Love this record- plays beautifully and sounds great.
on 29 January 2014
there was some sneering at the time about this album...make no mistake...this is a very fine DOORS offering..it stands proud with 'Strange Days' and the 1st album-it holds it's head up alongside Morrison Hotel and even LA Woman.you can do without 'Soft Parade' but overlook this and cry at your leisure.
on 17 October 2017
Happy
on 2 November 2014
great songs great sound
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 October 2010
One of my favourite Door's albums (along with the other five), Waiting For the Sun managed to overcome "third album syndrome" with a burst of creative maturity that cemented the band's status as one of the most successful experimental bands of the sixties (or any other decade). It sparkles with energy, reveals some of their tenderest work and presented them both with their only number one album, and first chart topping single (Hello, I Love You).

Many bands suffer with their third album: they are normally signed with enough material for two albums, and then have to write fresh songs whilst touring and in the studio. Here, though, The Doors come across as confident and exuberant as ever. Morrison's voice still has a warm, summery chime (precipitating the grizzled, whisky-house laments of LA Woman) but he now commands his lyrics far more majestically, a subtle shift in development away from the uncontrolled passions of his youth. The creative output is as strong as ever, and, whilst still scouring the darker sides of Morrison's poetical consciousness, the band manage to retain the breezy summer-rock feel that distinguishes them from some of their more indulgent contemporaries.

The album was supposed to draw out with another dark epic (based on Morrison's poem, Celebration of the Lizard, of which, on this special edition, a 17-minute demo is included), though only the musical centrepiece of this (the pulsating, and harrowing, Not To Touch the Earth) was deemed fit for release. Other dark matters include: The Unknown Solider (a powerful anti-Vietnam statement, that manages to persuade through a alternating combination of fragile subtlety and brute force) and Spanish Caravan (a stormy and subversive demonstration of Robby Keriger's flamenco roots). To counter these shadows, Love Street (a whimsical serenade for Morrison's lover Pamela Courson), and Wintertime Love (simply a heart-warming love song), give us two of The Door's most beautiful works. Hello I Love You, the albums opener, is a vibrant pop-song that was written much earlier than the rest of the material here, and it does show. The other four tracks are fun and functional (Summers Almost Gone and We Could Be So Good Together), or quirky and poetical (My Wild Love and The River Knows) little curiosities that punctuate the summery storms.

You can't really go wrong with Waiting For the Sun, it gives you a full-blooded taste of The Doors performing in their prime and is as unique and impassioned as any of their work. It's charming and challenging in equal measure, but always manages to raise a smile and is one of my favourite "I need to sit down" albums...
on 13 June 2013
A number of people have commented that they are annoyed about this release because they feel that they already have this album on other formats and they therefore resent spending money on it again. I can understand that point of view, but since I didn't already have it and I was wanting to expand my Doors collection beyond the Greatest Hits, that problem didn't exist for me. I have bought the MP3 version. My disclaimer is that these reflect my personal experience of the album and that many of the songs are, frankly, impossible to put into words. Will try my best though.

1. Hello, I love you - a really catchy tune that I love. Short, full of sound and blows you away.
2. Love Street - a regular flowing tune with a lovely melody. Nice lyrics and good sounds. One of my favourites, I can often listen to this on repeat.
3. Not to touch the earth - Noisy, big sounds, disjointed lyrics - it seems almost to represent someone's thoughts, i.e. unconnected fragments. Clever, great song!
4. Summer's almost gone - slow moving all the way through, again lovely and very typical Doors.
5. Wintertime Love - lovely song - reminiscent of Golden Brown by the Stranglers and also Hotel California in terms of the background music.
6. The Unknown Soldier - a deeply moving song. It talks about the juxtaposition of the people at home hearing about the war and the hell of the war itself. Very cleverly done with its inclusion of of military drill sounds, the military drummers and gunshots as well as instrumentals and different speeds of music - a high recommend.
7. Spanish Caravan - lovely song beginning with the Spanish flamenco style music. A lovely free flowing easy to listen to song which ends in a much faster crescendo of sound.
My number 8 - I have actually cheated here and included "Waiting for the Sun" from the Greatest Hits in my particular copy as I love the song and found it strange that it wasn't included on the album with the same name.
8. My Wild Love - interesting song. Starts with no music, just Morrison's voice with single hand claps in-between. His voice starts reasonably soft and then gets shoutier.
9. We could be so good together - typical regular flowing doors song with an instrumental part, very nice too but not easy to describe.
10 Yes the river knows - piano, quite a deep and very nice song.
11. Five to One - like the opening song, fast, catchy and short.

I love each song and the whole album. If you are a Doors fan or like nice 60s music with unusual instruments, then get this, you won't regret it.