on 12 October 2017
This was on my bucket list of vinyl records to own before I go to that great record shop in the sky. It is a great record but I already had a version on cassette yeah I am that old. The sound quality is great and has no second hand pops and clicks on it being a brand new reissue. I don't think it is their best album but the Door's did not know how to do bad records as they all have their own merits. I had given up trying to find it on a car boot sale and have started to buy reissues as the rarity increases and the chance of finding a good condition copy decreases. It still sounds fresh and great and completes my Doors collection what else can I say. I love the Doors and any one who does not is weird in my opinion . What a band with just the perfect blend of pop , physchedelica and more. We won't see their like again ! Mmmm where's that Rival Son's record ? Enjoy .
4 people found this helpful
on 31 March 2017
It's difficult to chose a favourite song or a favourite album by The Doors. Each album is a special journey. Waiting For The Sun is special to me because it gives me good positive memories. Each song paints a perfect picture of enlightenment and gives the listener an insight into the legendary band. I enjoyed the bonus studio takes and booklet. And for an inexpensive price you can own a part of musical legacy! Highly recommended! My number one Summer album! AC
6 people found this helpful
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 March 2015
The Doors' third album when released in 1968 contained no extended musical piece like `The End' or `When the Music's Over', and revealed a softer side. Mixed in with the more up-tempo pop songs `Hello I Love You' and `Love Street' are poignant ballads like `Summer's Almost Gone', `Yes, the River Knows', and the powerful `Wintertime Love'. Robbie Krieger proves he can play Classical guitar on `Spanish Caravan' and there is a streak of impassioned social-political protest with `The Unknown Soldier,' which unfortunately has not aged well.

On the 2007 40th Anniversary re-mix, Morrison's unfinished `Celebration of the Lizard' is offered as a rambling 17-minute extra, along with three previously unheard takes of the only part of his original epic deemed worthy of inclusion on the album, `Not to Touch the Earth'. Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore also demonstrate their versatility by performing an out-and-out Baroque classical piece, namely Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor.

Overall `Waiting for the Sun' is something a bit different from this versatile and unpredictable band, a mid-point in their five highly creative years before Morrison's untimely demise on 3rd July 1971. It's full of good stuff: if you've never heard it, check it out.
6 people found this helpful
on 13 June 2013
A number of people have commented that they are annoyed about this release because they feel that they already have this album on other formats and they therefore resent spending money on it again. I can understand that point of view, but since I didn't already have it and I was wanting to expand my Doors collection beyond the Greatest Hits, that problem didn't exist for me. I have bought the MP3 version. My disclaimer is that these reflect my personal experience of the album and that many of the songs are, frankly, impossible to put into words. Will try my best though.

1. Hello, I love you - a really catchy tune that I love. Short, full of sound and blows you away.
2. Love Street - a regular flowing tune with a lovely melody. Nice lyrics and good sounds. One of my favourites, I can often listen to this on repeat.
3. Not to touch the earth - Noisy, big sounds, disjointed lyrics - it seems almost to represent someone's thoughts, i.e. unconnected fragments. Clever, great song!
4. Summer's almost gone - slow moving all the way through, again lovely and very typical Doors.
5. Wintertime Love - lovely song - reminiscent of Golden Brown by the Stranglers and also Hotel California in terms of the background music.
6. The Unknown Soldier - a deeply moving song. It talks about the juxtaposition of the people at home hearing about the war and the hell of the war itself. Very cleverly done with its inclusion of of military drill sounds, the military drummers and gunshots as well as instrumentals and different speeds of music - a high recommend.
7. Spanish Caravan - lovely song beginning with the Spanish flamenco style music. A lovely free flowing easy to listen to song which ends in a much faster crescendo of sound.
My number 8 - I have actually cheated here and included "Waiting for the Sun" from the Greatest Hits in my particular copy as I love the song and found it strange that it wasn't included on the album with the same name.
8. My Wild Love - interesting song. Starts with no music, just Morrison's voice with single hand claps in-between. His voice starts reasonably soft and then gets shoutier.
9. We could be so good together - typical regular flowing doors song with an instrumental part, very nice too but not easy to describe.
10 Yes the river knows - piano, quite a deep and very nice song.
11. Five to One - like the opening song, fast, catchy and short.

I love each song and the whole album. If you are a Doors fan or like nice 60s music with unusual instruments, then get this, you won't regret it.
5 people found this helpful
on 21 August 2017
I first got interested of the doors when my relative had a boyfriend in which he was a big fan. I heard a lot of the doors among the pupils in my school. This album is very enjoyable 'hello I love you' is great and 'not to touch the ground' is sinister, with its manic warbling keyboard sound and its fast beat. I really love many of the tracks on this long player.
on 5 June 2014
Reading other reviews of this I realise I'm a fan of one of the Doors' more underrated albums. Can't understand why. Not a bad track on this, 34 minutes seems shorter. There seems to be a bit of snobbery about the inclusion of Hello, I Love You, maybe some feel that it sounds a bit tacked on and doesn't fit with the album. I disagree, I think it's a great pop song, and a good counterpoint to the rest of the album. If you think you're going to get a poppy love song album, think again! Love Street has a sweet melody, delivered with a raised eyebrow by naughty uncle Jim (see the title of this review), then Not to Touch the Earth takes us into familiar darker Doors territory. The Unknown Soldier, although significant as a "sign of the times" piece is still powerful. Rewarding.
on 18 November 2013
What more can be said about the Doors; this is rock with jazz and classical influences at its best. Had been old enough and rich enough I would have gone to go and see them live in the US. The newly remastered version sounds great from a technical point of view and better than my much loved vinyl version which has been played so much that it s now sounding a bit worn out. For any Doors fan who likes CD I recommend it. If you are an LP junkie then I am sure that the re-mastered vinyl will sound just as good.
on 26 September 2016
The Many faces of the Doors... Waiting For The Sun offers a new perspective on the Band... a wonderful album, full of masterful lyrical and musical
riffs, words, poetry and 'stuff'. The Doors third and too often underrated album
on 28 May 2015
Fantastic album fantastic price. Well made and well worth the money. Love this record- plays beautifully and sounds great.
One person found this helpful
on 27 May 2018