Colour: A. Basin Tap|Change

Taps are a funny old thing. The price range is simply huge for what is in effect a very simple device and you can go from hundreds of pounds to a few quid depending upon the name.

And here's the rub. You don't always get what you pay for. I'm a marine engineer and have stripped down literally thousands of valves on ships and as part of that plenty of taps when they have gone wrong. I've also renovated and built a number of houses and spend literally thousands on fittings over the years. Most taps (or faucets if you are from the US) tend to use ceramic inserts now for the valve part. They last longer than the old rubber seals but when they leak it's time to change the tap.

Now having pulled open many of these things one thing is clear. No matter if you pay 500 quid (and I did once) or 50 quid there's a better than even chance that the tap and certainly the insert is made in the Far East. I don't therefore get too wrapped up in the name. In fact I bought a set of taps off ebay once for 19 pounds and when my mate came over he spotted them and pointed out that the same set were in a major DIY store for over one hundred pounds.

This is the second tap of this type I've bought. The first one was very good so I bought another for another bathroom. In a year there have been no problems and the fit and finish have lasted well. The action is smooth and it has remained drip free.

It is heavy - which is a good thing. It is chromed brass and therefore the same as any other chromed brass valve. It's not going to wear out or corrode at household water pressure using fresh water.

If I have any quibble at all it would be that the operating handle is a little 'soft' feeling and probably would not stand up to very rough use. If you have teenage boys then maybe this might not be the best tap for the family bathroom.

It comes with the tails needed to fit to the water supply.

To be honest, for the money it would be churlish to consider these as anything other than a bargain.
on 22 November 2014
The tap looks great but water pressure must be precise. Too low and it dribbles from the sides. Too high and it shoots horizontally over the top of the basin. I installed it and then had to reinstall it because one of the factory fitted feeds had a misaligned o-ring. The tap then dripped slowly and continuously from its inside wetting the cupboard beneath the basin. The photo shows it after 3 weeks of use. I can't see an easy way of contacting the seller using this website and re-boxing it to send it back on its guarantee would be even more hassle.
review image
on 30 July 2013
We ordered both the mixer and the basin unit. The mixer came with pillars which allows you to fit it to the bath rather than as a wall mount unit. As soon as we got it out of the box we noticed that the pillar thread is too short and therefore the mixer cannot be securely fastened. We called ibathuk who told us this awl normal and would tighten once fitted to the bath. It did not. We tried to work around the problem by inserting extra finer washers but this didn't work. We are now having to ask for our money back. Its a real shame as the mixer looks great installed and looks great when in operation. But looks are useless next to the constant drip from the securing bolt as the thread on the pillar is too short.
on 12 February 2015
Do not buy this product from this seller, Panbado Tradings, this is the second tap now which has flooded our bathroom, the seal on the lever is of inferior quality, also the chamber underneath the lever is open not sealed hence the reason the floods occur, the seller has not been very helpful giving one excuse after another, suggesting I put a new seal in which will invalidate the twelve month warranty if the tap is tampered with and the manufacturers 10 year guarantee, these have obviously been sold on job lot bu ibath due to this problem.
on 14 January 2013
On time and intact.

Fitted and then all the fun began.

Good heavy duty fitting and a great spread of water to wash with.

My 7 & 6 year old's simply love it and 'fiddle around' in the sink for ages
making everything clean and shiny ;)
on 24 January 2014
The basin tap seems to work better than the bath filler so would advise to buy if you only had the basin like in downstairs toilet but not if you wanted matching for bath as that product is not too good
on 24 January 2014
Started leaking from head of tap after 1 year (product has 10 year warranty) contacted via amazon originally told replacement would be sent after several emails then a follow up phone call made by me was told replacement cartridge would only be sent? For me to install, and that's that. I am following up with Amazon as that to me is a very poor response to a poor performing product.
on 15 October 2011
had these on my bath and matching one on sink for about a year and they looked really good for about five minutes they scale up a lot and chrome finish comes off if you use any type of cleaner also final straw for me is water kept coming out of the body of the taps shame i hve now replaced them with branded tap but still preferred the look of these
on 8 April 2014
This will be installed in the next few months and hopefully it will do the job. It certainly looks good, although there is a tiny flaw (like a bit of dust that's been chromed over) to the back surface. This does not detract from the functionality or looks and won't be seen when fitted on the sink..
on 29 September 2014
I love this tap but the engineering on the thread to which flexi pipes fit, was incorrect and splayed the pipes outwards making them impossible to fit through the mono hole on the sink.

There wasn't an option on the returns to get a replacement so I would have to re order it which I haven't done.