I've used this CPU as a "super budget" processors for a few builds in the past.
My unlock rate is around 50% (check that the board supports core unlocking) so best case you get a dual core processor for a good price, if not even the single core is fine for day to day work tasks

You can use it on socket AM2+/AM3/AM3+ boards

Performance wise it's good enough for a normal office or home pc that's not doing demanding work, such as browsing and email, watching videos and word processing. It's not really designed for heavy lifting but it can offer a cheap way of building a new pc if you are running an older single core from many years back, it's a good bit quicker than those (ie P4 3GHz models)

It gets around 850 for a single core in passmark
You can roughly double that if you can unlock it.

On the other hand the AMD A4-Series A4-5300 socket FM2 is around the same price, it's also a low power CPU and that pulls in a passmark score of 2100 odd, which is faster than the Sempron can muster even with both cores. You also get, "ok" graphics onboard as it's an APU (and whilst it's not a gamers chip it will do an ok job v the older onboard graphics you'd likely use on the Sempron)

It's worth a look if you need the lowest possible cost option for those sockets, it's probably not the best choice if you are building a super budget pc right now (it came out in 2010 and things have moved on a bit even in entry level processors) Other alternatives are hunting out second hand Athlon II dual core processors which are again better performers.

Still it's capable enough for a standard office pc and runs quiet with low power consumption. If you get one that will unlock that's a bonus.
Bought this to flash my AM3+ Motherboard to work with the new Bulldozer processors. Installed easily and did the job fine, BIOS straight away recognized it as running at 2.80GHz
on 22 November 2011
Mine has a second core which was unlocked by installing it in an Asrock N68C-S UCC motherboard.(Apparently, not all Semprons have useable second cores.) I added 4gb of DDR3 ram and a Sapphire HD5570 graphics card. For £100, I now have an upgraded pc that can handle blu-ray, HD streaming and games.

Also, the sempron and the HD5570 consume no more than 90 watts between them on full load.

I didn't use the stock cooler because unlocking the second core raises the temperature of the cpu and I may overclock it at some point. Instead, I used an Artic Alpine 64 pro. It reduces the temperature by around five degrees compared to the stock cooler, and is quieter. It also has pre-applied thermal paste.

People have claimed to stably overclock these processors to up to 4 GHz. So in buying one, you potentially have a dual core 4 GHz processor for under £30. Amazing!
on 7 January 2012
Since AMD motherboards are alot cheaper than intel ones, if you pair that fact up with this CPU you have most of your pc for under 100 pounds. there is a nice niche of AM3 micro atx motherboards that circle the 40 pound mark that are perfect for media centres.
I have heard this core can have a second core unlocked, but i am not sure how it works, but even without it everything works just fine. I havent tried it with games but this little devil makes movies, word processing, viewing pictures, songs etc.. all fast.
excellent value for money! It even comes with a cpu cooler with thermal paste already on it so you dont even have to buy that!
on 1 December 2011
Really pleased with this purchase. Took two days to arrive, UK to Spain, so no complaints there. My motherboard, an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO had no problems converting it into an Athlon II X2 4450e @ 2800Mhz, the stock Athlon runs @ 2300Mhz! All for 33, so pretty good value for money too.
on 20 March 2014
Others have given outrageous reports of how they unlocked the second core, and overclocked it to 4GHz. I was not so lucky - releasing the 2nd core did nothing - it still ran on just one in the case of the one I got. I tried overclocking it, and got it as far as 3.5GHz as opposed to 2.8, and it continues to run very cool, around 45°C with the supplied fan, maybe hitting near but not quite 50°C under stress. It's specified to run up to 70°C so I tried to push it up a little further but the BIOS wasn't having it. But I've found the 25% increase in the speed enough to clear the occasional logjam. No complaints as it's good value for money, and I'm not a gamer. In conjunction with a combination of SSD and Hybrid drives, I have to say that my computing experience is as smooth as it's ever been.
on 6 December 2013
bought this for media file server running 24/7, It copes more than adequately and even copes with dvd transcoding / disc authoring & burning, as with all amd cpu's reliable sturdy and capable !
on 31 August 2013
I brought this product in the hope I could unlock its second core and would you guess it worked so now I have a dual core 3GHz processor for £27 so I have nothing bad too say BUY IT NOW
on 10 May 2012
I have waited a month to write a review so that I could thrash the socks off the product! It has run quite efficiently on my server/gaming machine. I have kept my server on 24-7 for over a month now and this processor isn't screaming for mercy like the Intel variants did. I ALWAYS GO FOR AMD, as they are Reliable, Sturdy and very well made. As far as basic processors go, this ones the daddy!
on 10 February 2015
Brought this to get a new build started at a cheap price, It offers considerably better performance than my last rigs cpu (p4 2.8 HT) for such a low price. I instaledl it into an Asrock AM+3 970 extreme4 motherboard which allows unlocking and overclocking very easily. Turns out AMD produce these as dual cores and then lock a core to provide low cost CPU's. Some apparently are locked due to a core failing at testing. However I was lucky and mine seems to run happily in overclock mode. But even as a single core its a corking little cpu, So good I'm using one in my next build for my partner.