on 5 August 2011
I've played acoustic guitar for nearly ten years. Mostly just strum along and chords. I've also played Guitar Hero and Rock band games since they were first released.

This guitar has just taken both my Rock band playing and real guitar playing to the next level. However, this is not easy to learn. At first you will find you are all fingers a thumbs. I have found, with practice, you soon start to find your way around the fret board and the game becomes more and more enjoyable as you progress with this guitar.

Rock Band 3 provides extensive tutorials and each song has a training and practice mode. These are great because you will find that you need to learn those solos.

If you've never played a real guitar be prepared to a steep but enjoyable learning curve. You will need to learn and practice to get the best out of this.

For party play, in most cases, I would say the normal Rock band guitar mode would be more fun. A lot less to concentrate on after a few beers!

My only small gripe is that the strings are all the same gauge. This adds extra difficulty especially if your used to a real guitar.

All in all this is great fun and a welcome, more challenging, addition to the genre.
on 27 April 2014
I actually for the first time of use with this guitar accidentally dropped it when the strap came off when I put it on.
Which I personally do not recommend dropping please do handle with care. Haha!! Luckily it still works it just bounced on the bedroom floor and I caught it.
Plays almost like a real guitar except you have buttons as well as strings but in other words it is just like the real thing.
Strings for strumming instead of a strum bar and fret buttons all the way along the fretboard. (Fingerboard.)
If you are now finding RockBand impossible weather your a guitarist like me, or a beginner or just love playing guitar games and your not a musician. If you can afford this particular guitar controller is for you especially if you may fancy one day learning to play the real thing. Also if you must need to know there's a directional button as well as X, O, Triangle and the Square button below the strings and, replica pickup. I even noticed I think it may be able to be plugged in but it does come with a wireless guitar dongle.

I'm not sure if it works with Guitar Hero but on RockBand 3 it's just great I think it's magnificent. Really cool AwsomE controller!! One of the best. Other great guitar games I recommend are Rocksmith, Bandfuse, Powergig and Rock of the Dead. Did you know there are other RockBand games like RockBand Country Track Pack 1, RockBand Country Track Pack 2, RockBand Classic Rock and RockBand Metal Track Pack.
The others are imports but sometimes UK amazon sellers sell them or some here in the UK, also CeX get some in too when they have them. Nowadays you should still be able to buy the 2nd RB Country Track Pack in the UK but the rest are imports. But I don't know why no realise on RockBand Song Pack 1 for PS3 they the second one.
Plus all other games are available in the series as for Guitar Hero PS3 most but not 1,2 and GH Rocks the 80's for PS3. The first can only be played on PS2s and 60gb PS3. I want to thank the person who sold me this controller and Madcatz for making this possible. You can get one for about £76 for me it was well worth it but it's up to you.10/10
on 31 January 2011
This really is the future. I got this for Christmas as a gift for myself to learn to play guitar. I've always felt that learning by myself on a normal guitar was difficult but was also much better in abilty on Guitar Hero games. I wanted to try and play for real and this is the perfect solution.

Using this with Rock Band 3, and the superb tutorials provided, I found it a great way to understand chords and develop the basic understanding needed to play songs. I have only learnt a couple of songs so far but hope to learn much more with a bit more practice.

The controller feels heavier than a guitar hero guitar but still lighter than a normal guitar. It looks amazing. Replacing a strum bar with strings does take a bit of getting used, but that really is the point, practice will make perfect.

In summary, I'd say that using this instrument WILL give you the opportunity to play guitar and learn it for real. Just give it practice!
on 2 March 2011
This is a Madcatz product, and so far in my experience that's always meant it arrives *with* batteries and strap, in great condition and working perfectly. This one did, and on top of that it's got a full set of controls on it and the wireless base unit has two USB ports in it and acts as a hub too. It also came with two medium plectrums. Plectra? The paperwork does say you shouldn't chain them together, so if you get the drums, the keyboard (another two ports) a controller, two guitars and two microphones you're going to need a "proper" hub, but short of that this helps.

My only complaint with this thing is that the fret buttons are long and almost touch each other, so your fingers have to press where the gaps between the frets are on a real guitar, rather than where the frets are. If you press at a fret position, you're likely to catch two buttons. Shorter buttons at fret positions might have been better. Other than that, it's fine.

If you want to play normal guitar mode rather than pro guitar mode, you should probably get the normal guitar controller instead, as this thing's strings are *sensitive*.
on 13 December 2012
perfect for my daughter for Christmas. arrived in very good time and looks great.
i did try it myself to make sure it worked, would recommend it is too hard for parents to use!