Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 13 July 2011
Based in America's deep south, in the 1960's and 1970's. A young man relates the story of how he comes to be suspected of his father's murder. Segregation, inter-racial friendships and forbidden relationships, dysfunctional families - disturbing at times, but with a totally unexpected twist to finish. Recommended.
on 20 October 2011
This was an incredible totally engrossing read! Had me from the very beginning, I read it in one sitting. Started it early in the day, finished it late evening. I broke away only because I had life duties to see about. I read the 1 star review as well, I always do, to see what has been said. Personally, I totally disagree! The setting of this story, the circumstances of these two young individuals, the out come... so believable that I think this is actually a TRUE story. I know this has definitely happened to someone, somewhere in the US South! All I can say is, BRAVO! I totally AGREE with the ending, because you know what - life is funny, you only live ONCE - and if your world constantly throws you lemons, make that lemonade baby, make it! Absolutely outstanding! Now, I must return to my own writing, I stopped needing a break from my story and I'm ready to return. Do the 1click - load this jewel on your Kindle, dang, this needs to be a movie, I swear!
on 16 March 2014
Just finished reading this book and read it in one sitting. This is Stephen and Ruthie’s story. The story actually broke my heart. It’s an emotional roller coaster of a read and had me in knots. I cannot give away any of the story-line except to say, there is suspense, thriller, murder, abuse, love. This story was engrossing and a page turner and had me in a totally head spin. I have always wanted to read a story with this theme because I know how difficult it must be to fall in love and then have someone tell you, your love is forbidden! I knew where the story was headed by about page 55 however as it unfolds with the twists/ turns and then the conclusion I was like.... I can totally understand/empathize with why you did what you did Stephen and Ruthie! I highly recommend this read
on 5 August 2011
what a great read fantastic twist loved it .more please .added leslie dubois to my fav list .perfect can not believe it was a freebee give it a try !!!!! .
on 17 September 2011
This was a really quick book which I read in a morning, however it has stayed with me for much longer and I'd highly recommend it
on 2 August 2011
I loved this book and found it really addictive. Like others have mentioned, there is a brilliant twist in the tail!!
on 13 July 2011
I have only had my Kindle for andriod app for a couple of weeks, and during that time I have read some real dross - but not so in this instance! The unusual opening drew me in and I read the book in one sitting.

The characters are sometimes a little thin, but then the story is being told in retrospect to a police officer, so that's understandable. I think it's meant to be aimed at teenagers/young adults a group I fall outside of by a long way, but I found it a powerful and intriging book, with a wonderful 'mouth open' ending!
on 21 July 2011
When i read to Kill a Mockingbird..this is how i wished it would have ended.
Leslie Dubois is a brilliant writer who's flashback style of writing was so realistic i felt like i was watching a movie...i was as caught up in it as the policeman and without wanting to give away the end...i missed the most obvious lie in the beginning. This is the jewel among the free books in my collection so far//
on 5 September 2013
Brilliant novel - couldn't' put it down - did not see the ending coming! Excellent storyline with very believable characters in a very difficult time of racial discrimination. Enjoyable read.
on 4 November 2016
This book deserved all five stars. Feel for storyline and almost wished that it was true. The twist at the end was brilliant.