on 24 September 2012
I wouldn't normally bother to write a review about this type of product but I feel compelled to after using them for a few months now. I previously swore by Gillette Fusion, but these were on offer at a far lower price than the others so i decided to try them and I must admit that for me personally they are far superior. Obviously everyone's beard differs so some people might find other experiences, but the shave these give, for me, is far better than the Gillette, the lube strip does, as some people have stated over-lube when the blade is first used but it isn't really a major problem, just use a little less shaving gel which will again save you even more money! They last twice as long as the Gillette and are cheaper. The only feature I miss in comparison to the Gillette is the single blade on the flip-side which is handy for getting the small hairs off directly under the nose, which is a bit of a problem when using 5 blades without digging into and cutting your nose, especially when using a new blade. SO, solution! I have kept a Gillette razor for the occasional use under the nose area when required, using the flip side. RESULT!!

Ask yourself why these blades are a lot cheaper than Gillette? The answer must surely be relating to the extortionate amount of money Gillette spend on TV advertising compared to Wilkinson Sword, then ask yourself who is paying for these adverts? YOU ARE!!

To summarise, these are far cheaper. last longer and give a much better shave. Will leave it up to you to decide if these are of benefit? So a no-brainer really?
on 11 August 2011
This product is honestly so superior to the Gilette fusion, it's not even funny. The blades are so sharp that it's almost like shaving smooth skin. Add to that the fact that I can get the blades to stretch for 2 months of use, as opposed to the Fusion where I can only get 1 month before it starts scraping my face off. And then there's the clincher - I can finally smile at the condescending adverts that Gilette put on TV and say to myself "You're not getting my money anymore. Ha!"
I have been wet shaving for a few years now, having tried various razors from the Fusion to this, and even DE safety razors. I still find that the Hydro 5 is the easiest and quickest to use and gives a close shave with the minimum of passes without leaving a rash or sore skin afterwards. It is also much cheaper to run that the other well known razor and the blades last at least 4x as long, so great all round. I recommend anyone to try the Hydro 5. Blades are cheaper here than anywhere I have found and delivery is quick as usual.
I have always used Gillette blades over the years. I thought I would try Wilkinson Sword as the blades were so much cheaper than Gillette blades. When shaving along the normal lines of the face, these blades are superior to Mach 3 blades in terms of lubrication and drag. They give a closer shave with less irritation. The problem comes from the fact that you cannot get close to the hair just underneath each nostril. The Fusion blades have a cutter on the reverse of the blade, so making it very easy to cut off these hairs, not so with Wilkinson blades. You end up with soft smooth skin, yet have little tufts of hair underneath your nose, a big drawback. I have tried holding the razer at different angles to cut these hairs, but to no avail.

Overall if they had a rear blade cutter, to enable small areas of hairs to be cut in the same way as a Fusion, I would give the blades 5 stars. As they do not have such a blade, I have to say they are superior to Gillette in the actual shave, but they leave hairs in awkward places. Good but could be better.
I've been shaving for over 50 years and never found a razor with blades as good as these, including a cut throat even when used by a professional. Each blade lasts me a month, sometimes more, which is pretty good as I shave most days and have pretty tough stubble. Don't waste money at High St retailers, buy in bulk here, these blades are the real deal!
on 16 September 2011
This blade is truly remarkable and seems to go on forever giving a really smooth shave.Only criticism is that sometimes the lubristrip comes loose,which shortens the life of the blade.
on 21 March 2016
These razor blades gives me such a comfortable and close shave, and leave me feeling fresh faced and so smooth every morning. I shave everyday, as I prefer not to have facial hair, and the blades last such a long time - usually at least five weeks per blade. The aloe vera at the top of the padded blade is so soothing both during and after the shave, keeping my face moisturized and avoiding razor burn. The adjusting, cushioned head of the razor blade means that I get a close shave without cutting myself, or missing in places while shaving. I really can't recommend this razor, and these razor blades highly enough, and would urge those that have just started shaving to these- or even if you've just had enough of Gillette and want a change - then you should give this a try; the chances are you'll be glad you did, and you won't look back!
on 16 December 2012
I buy these a lot. They are good value and very good razor blades. They are better than the female version hence why I buy them.
on 15 September 2015
I've shaved for years and years with an electric shaver and it was always very good, I decided to give wet shaving another go and haven't used my electric shaver again since. I really like the Wilkinson Sword products and the Hydro 5 razor and blades are very good indeed. The blades are nice and sharp and stay sharp for a lot of shaves, yet they are gentle too, the built in gel also enhances the closeness of the shave while minimising drag and nicks/burn.

I use mine with Nivea for men cooling shave gel and I am very pleased with the end result.

No more blood baths like I used to get when I wet shaved many years ago (the reason I switched to electric)
on 24 March 2013
I've been shaving for 15 years. I have thick, rapid growing stubble. I've tried various blades, but my mainstay blade has been whatever gillettes latest offering was. I've tried other Wilkinson Sword ones but was never impressed.

I was given a Hydro 5 blade to try from someone who had obtained a few from students fresher week. All i can say is wow, they are by far the best shave i have ever had, and cheaper than gillettes offerings. I rarely give products 5 start ratings as I always like to think their is room for improvement. But given the price / shave quality, these blades deserve nothing less than 5.