Customer reviews

The Essential Dixie Chicks
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 December 2012
I'm not a massive fan of country music but I really like this album which I bought on a whim having never heard the Dixie Chicks before. There is so much to enjoy here for fans of all musical genres. Disc one has mostly more recent songs and the writing is more mature - highlights include Not Ready to Make Nice (fantastic), The Long Way Round, Easy Silence, Lubbock or Leave It, Everybody Knows, Travelin' Soldier and White Trash Wedding. The songs on disc 2 are older and the "chicks" don't write them in the main but they are still extremely enjoyable. My favourites include Ready to Run, Cowboy Take me Away, Sin Wagon, Goodbye Earl and Give it up or let me go.

The above songs are my favourites but I really don't think there is a bad song on this 2-CD compilation.
5 people found this helpful
on 8 August 2014
i would not say i was a country music fan - the most country i go is usually uncle tupelo, poco, steve earle, emmilou harris, and michelle shocked, this album is about as country as you can get without going daft. yet done with verve, intelligence, and huge vocal and musical talent. there are only say two dud tracks and the rest vary from catchy to outstanding. all moods are covered , from the comic to the sad, from the gutsy to the plaintive. i do not know enough of the bands work to know how representative this album is of their stuff, but it certainly sounds like a wide range of their best is included here, including of course the wonderfully funny song earl must die.

and for 2 discs it is so cheap. whether you like country or not - or perhaps especially if you dont - buy this.
on 9 May 2012
The Country genre is probably the least represented in my large CD collection and as a semi-pro live band photographer, I have my credibility to try and keep intact!

I've had one of those 'World's Best' sort of Country double CD compilations, that was of some interest for a bit. I since wanted something with more depth and continuity i.e. the same artist. Dixie Chicks was a name I had come across, but like so many things, hadn't explored further - often it's only by buying something do you finally get to see if you like it, or not. The 'Chicks' also scored by being all-female (I didn't want Willie Nelson crooning at me!) and seemed to be authentic but also commercial. To some extent, if someone is immensely popular in a region and genre where the target audience is, then they must be doing something right.

I'm not going to pick songs out - mostly because I wanted - and got - a great backing "sound" that is cheerful, swinging and tuneful and one I can listen to whilst doing other things. Dixie Chicks aren't like my favourite Prog Rock, where you turn off the light and immerse yourself in the soundscapes.

My message is aiming to be, that if you're a bit scared and wary of dipping your toe into this area of oft-maligned music, this album is a fine and credible entry point, even if you're probably not going to buy another Country CD for a long while, like myself.
on 19 November 2014
As an ardent 'Chicks fan, this album has all the tracks I keep going on line to listen to on Youtube. No less than 30 tracks on a double album, from "I'm Not Ready to Act Nice", Natalie's vocals on the poignant Patty Griffin song "Top of the World", to my personal favourite and the one track I can almost sing along in harmony with, "I Believe in Love", if this album was on vinyl the grooves would be worn through by now! Love it !
2 people found this helpful
on 21 June 2016
Love love love it. Played non stop in my car. My 2 year old is a fan now too. Whenever a song ends she shouts 'more'!!
One person found this helpful
on 11 April 2018
I could listen to the Chicks all day. Lovely album.
|0Comment|Report abuse
For the price no complaints looks expensive and have had comments from collegues already!! You will not regret buying this
on 18 May 2018
enjoyable but a bit to "slick" for my liking.
on 10 April 2012
"The Essential Dixie Chicks" contains a good medley of great country tunes. The following is a riveting sampler of the hits on this two disc set:
Ready To Run
Cowboy Take Me Away
Wide Open Spaces
Some Days You Gotta Dance
"The Essential Dixie Chicks" is great for anyone who likes bold country music.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 September 2017
Love this cd...Has a lot of great songs on my fav being Goodbye Earl x