Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Morrissey Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 13 July 2017
Takes great pictures. Well looked after. I did have to clean the camera With alcohol as it was dirtier than expected even for second hand. A good buy. With the manual downloaded online feels like the whole package
on 30 July 2017
I ordered this on a Wednesday afternoon, it was dispatched on Thursday and arrived on Friday!!! Very quick!! I checked the shutter count and it was only about 750 which is amazing for the price I paid, almost new! The camera was a little dusty but nothing a quick wipe didn't solve. Friendly seller and I would definately recommend, 10/10! The camera works perfectly too.
on 11 June 2017
Best camera I've ever bought and excellent value for a second hand camera. I'm glad I brought this one
on 20 July 2017
ok
on 16 July 2014
love love love it....easy to use & takes wonderful photos, this camera hasn't disappointed me one bit.
on 4 June 2017
GOOD
on 5 October 2014
Its an amazing camera. Brilliant extra bits. Easy to use.
on 16 February 2013
Brill camera you can do so much with it!!!! even video and the guide auto modes are great.
5 star.
VINE VOICEon 11 November 2010
I have owned and used a number of Nikon digital SLR's. My first was a D50, then D80, D200 and more recently the D300. All great cameras and the D300 is amazingly good. But like all digital SLR's they are only as good as the sensor (chip) inside. For example, the 1999 D1 is better built than any modern consumer SLR but effectively useless due to the relatively poor pictures it takes.

The big change recently for Nikon was the switch to CMOS sensors from their previous Sony CCD sensors. CMOS is what Canon's have used for the last 10 years and offer a marked improvement in low light photography and power consumption. The D300 can take ISO 6400 pictures that will print out just fine. To put that in perspective that is a photo taken by candle light, hand held at 1/20 second.

Q: So why buy the D3100 then?
A: Because it has the latest sensor inside.

It is 90% of the Nikon D300 for less than half of the cost. It is also about half the size and weight. I am not a professional photographer and being able to carry a camera more often means I take more photos. The D3100 and 35mm DX lens I purchased fit in a large coat pocket. The D300 requires a strong bag and a stronger neck.

The D3100 is fast to use, has great autofocus and metering and takes photos in low light that embarrass the previous generation of Digital SLR's. It can also be used by anyone who can point and shoot. Sure, it cannot use old AF lenses or manual focus lenses but to be honest that is not a great problem. The bundled 18-55mm VR lens is light and sharp and if you spend another £150 and buy Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G you can take photos by moonlight hand-held.

The movie mode is also a big plus. You need to focus manually when using it but the results are film like rather than camcorder like. That is to say that things that are out of focus are REALLY out of focus. This is nice for videoing people as they are separate from their background. Don't buy this to be a camcorder replacement but if you want to shoot a short film you can do worse than this.

The construction is a bit plasticky and it is a shame that the LCD is not the 920,000 dot one from the D300 but really does it matter? These cameras are by their very nature disposable. In 4 or 5 years time the next generation will be even better but as of 2010 the D3100 has the best sensor at the best price.

[Update - August 2011]
-----------------------
I have been using this camera for nearly a year now. It has been on the beach, at kids parties, thrown in a rucksack and used for hundreds and hundreds of pictures and video. Yes, lots of video. Once you get used to the focus being more manual than on a video camera it is possible to get great results. For example, my son's birthday party indoors in dim light. I videoed the cake being brought out with the candles lit. Because the camera is so good at high ISO levels I got a much better result than my Canon DV camera - and got a still shot at the same time.
55 Comments| 486 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2012
Context:
Not professional and not even amateur photographer.
I have used dark room for B&W for six months, more interested in expressive side of photography rather than being competent in technical part.

I decided, based on advert on TV to buy Lumix G or FZ.
I loved seeing Leica 1:2.8 lens. Very tempting. Also my old camera, the very old one, is Minolta;

I also looked at Nikon D3100. The reviews of Lumix, it awards, etc... was too good to ignore. But I went for D3100.

I only used it with Auto setting and could get great photos. I was so impressed, from close up to infinity!
I also purchased 55-300 lens of Nikon.

I tried CR Pol Hoya ( which based on the weather here, having no blue sky; still waiting to see the difference),

Then I was again tempted to have x24 optical zoom, Leica; could not resist it and it was sort of 600mm comparing with my 300mm.

I did buy FZ48 at the end( not from Amazon)

I know I am swimming in the wrong direction of the stream; Lumix FZ48 is too disappointing. Photos taken are bland, the view finder, the Focus point, which does not exist; some squares...are not unacceptable.

I wish I could return FZ48. If I give Nikon, 100, Lumix is 20 or less.

Ok, I need to find how to make it working; but I do not have to do it for Nikon D3100.

The only negative side of Nikon, is changing the lens and sort of bulkiness. But the reason I bought the bridge was to convince myself I had a bad choice buying D3100, but the later purchase was a mistake not the first one