on 6 October 2010
I bought this scanner to replace my Canon LiDE 60, as the LiDE 210 is compatible with Windows 7. I've only done a few scans with it, but it seems excellent. I particularly like the fact that the Canon LiDE scanners work off a single USB lead, not requiring a mains plug, and that you can stand them on their side, giving them a very small footprint.

The only thing I would point out is that the LiDE 210 did not come with ArcSoft PhotoStudio, despite this being mentioned as included in the Amazon description. (ArcSoft PhotoStudio was included with the previous, non-Windows 7, models.)

Update: I have emailed Amazon and they say they have passed my comment to the relevant department to have the reference to ArcSoft PhotoStudio removed.
55 Comments| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2012
Firstly be sure to install the software before plugging in the product. You have to uninstall and start again otherwise. With that glitch over, I tried it out but I used too long a USB cable. I discovered the solution to this problem while holding while their help line as they consulted second level support. The Canon help line, to their credit, answered the call quickly and helpfully, which is re-assuring if you have a real problem.

After solving problems largely of my own making, I tried it out again. It works like a scanner should but the software is oddly structured, though I suppose you get used to it. Clicking on the icon on the desktop opens a window which gives you are choice of "Use scanner", "Help", or "Start application". Two of those sound acceptable. "Starting the application" gives you much the same options as "Use scanner, such as "Autoscan" as "Using the scanner", but on a different menu. If you then choose "scan/import", for the third time you also get a choice for "Autoscan". It seems that the software design committee didn't meet very often.

Otherwise it is a good fast product. I chose Canon, firstly in disgust with HP who could not be bothered to provide an upgrade for their scanner software that used to work on XP but does not work on Windows 7. Companies like HP do not deserve repeat business if that is their attitude. However I chose Canon not because I am now anti-HP, five Canon products have been good for me, so it wasn't a difficult decision.
on 24 July 2015
Superb bit of kit - Scans in very high quality and extremely fast - Also it is not as bulky as some scanners so if space is at a premium, look no furter.
on 15 March 2014
This is a great scanner, does everything you could possibly require. Very flat and lightweight, got it for a great price too!
on 2 August 2013
Worked with the mac right from the box. Plugged it in and away it went. Scans very fast and not noisy like my old Epsom.
on 4 October 2014
No problems whatsoever.
on 21 October 2010
Very happy with this scanner - great results. I got the 210 to replace my LIDE 50 that is not supported by Wndows 7 - this is. Essential that the software is installed before plugging the scanner in for the first time - this is in the instructions. I only wanted a basic scanner, but this will actually do a lot more. One useful feature is the ability to scan A3 in two A4 scans and it the software will stitch it together for you. The Zed hinge is good for allowing you to scan books. You can mount it vertically to save desk space, but putting the paper/book in and keeping it in the right place when you close the lid can be tricky.
22 Comments| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2011
I find this an excellent product on my setup which is an Apple Mac G5, OS 10.5.8, Canon iP4600 printer. I use the Scanner Driver and Advanced Mode (rather than the Auto modes) where you can set Colour/Greyscale/B & W; Input Size; Output Resolution (up to 1200 dpi); Output Size (by mm or by dragging a selection frame); Image Adjustment (Document, Newspaper, Magazine, Photo, Auto, None); Unsharp Mask; Descreen; Reduce Dust & Scratches; Fading Correction; Backlight Correction; Gutter Shadow Correction-to clarify the gutter area of books open at both pages. All these look complex but are in fact easy to use although one feature (the ability to create groups of setting with individual names) does not work.

The result of scanning into Photoshop, then printing, for each of the 4 doc. types listed above, was very good. Colours true, blacks black, image sharp, including colour photos printed on ordinary or photo paper.

Using the auto buttons on the scanner is convenient but imposes default settings which might not suit all tasks, but they work (although the Scan to Email launches Mail which I do not use). The ability to scan several originals and to have them assembled into a single multi-page PDF is useful. The on-screen manual is comprehensive and describes all sorts of expert features like setting White Balance, Colour Balance, Saturation, Histogram etc. (if you need those).

A really excellent high quality product, especially at this price. (I first bought the competitor Epson V330 but had to return it because of a strong green cast which Epson Tech. Support could not solve.) Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner

**UPDATE May/2015**
I bought this scanner about 6 years ago (see my review above). I recently changed to a Windows 7 computer (I was on a Mac)
22 Comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2011
So I was looking for an A3 scanner on a budget of around £150...not a good idea. So decided to look for a good A4 scanner and just stitch together images afterward. Read a few reviews and I was surprised that this little scanner seemed to be rated up there with the more expensive models. As a freelance illustrator and an illustration student I needed something that would give me good scans on a relatively small budget (using printer/scanner combos have been a nightmare). I mostly do line art so when a review said this £60 scanner produces 5 star quality black and white scans which were better than most £100+ scanners I was a bit skeptical buuuut I got it today and have just tried a few autoscans which have come out pretty much perfect. The pencil line work is strong and crisp, smudges have been removed and the levels have been adjusted to give a nice clean background. The USB power source is a great idea as I travel with my laptop a lot and so allows me to basically scan and upload images to the net wherever I am.

For £60 its a bargin, even for pros.
22 Comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2012
I can't say anything the other reviewers haven't already said so there's no point in going into technical details.
I basically bought this so that I could get a huge backlog of photographs electronically stored, with this you can store and file 4 6 x 4 inch photos in around 20 secs at in many cases they look more vibrant than the originals, it even splits each photo as a separate file automatically. Definitely worth every penny and unless you're a professional must offer all that's need, absolutely well pleased with it.