VINE VOICEon 30 November 2012
This novel tells in fictional form the story of Queen Isabella of France (often called the She Wolf)'s marriage and falling out with King Edward II of England as he falls under the malign influence of his favourite and probable lover Hugh Despenser. She in turn falls in love with Sir Roger Mortimer who has his own reasons for taking revenge against the King and Despenser. But let's face it, if you are reading this novel, you probably know the basic historical story. This book ends with Despenser's horrible execution and Edward's imminent deposition at the beginning of 1327. Isabella here is for most of the novel depicted not as the shrewd political operator she undoubtedly was, but as a woman desperate for the love of a "good" man and yearning only to be united with her beloved children. Though a little one dimensional, it is a colourful read and the author undoubtedly has a gift for vivid descriptions of the sights and sounds of 14th century France and England. I was quite pleased to see there is a sequel covering the rule of Isabella and Mortimer during Edward III's minority. 4/5
on 7 July 2015
I first read this book and it 's sequel, The King must Die when they were first published and cannot remember how many times I have read them since. Good reads. Isabella has been called a She Wolf by history and described as a wicked, money grabbing queen, but it is a breath of fresh air to understand how Edward II and his favourites treated her and perhaps she and Mortimer did take lands and riches that did not belong to them. She didn't die raving mad at Castle Rising, but actually enjoyed a good relationship with her family after her son Edward finally forgave her for Mortimer. So good is this book that I know I will read and enjoy it again and again. I miss Miss. Sasson's histories as I have enjoyed reading all of them, several times.
on 8 March 2013
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical writing.N.Gemini Sasson, who I had never read before is one of the best writers I have come across, and I am an avid reader, she really draws you in and holds your interest, I shall certainly be buying more of her work.
What a treat !
on 2 October 2012
I really enjoyed this book; the relationship between Isabella and Roger Mortimer I found interesdting and although the book is a novel, the historical facts were well presented although obviously some presumptions had to be made. I would srongly recommend this book.
on 7 May 2014
History is not most peoples idea of fun but when you read it in this form it is so much easier.You can imagine yourself in the story line
on 2 March 2013
Loved this book. Very well written by an American. The different characters have their own chapters which all blend in to give an overall picture as thee story unfolds. Highly recommend.
on 15 January 2014
I am very impressed with the writing of this author and I enjoyed this book as much as the others.
on 27 July 2015
not yet read
on 18 July 2013
This isn't a period of history that I have read many books about; so only know the basic facts. This book is very much in the Phillippa Gregory mould; and is a fast paced enjoyable read. It doesn't complete the Isabella/ Mortimer story; stopping at Edward 111 becoming king.
on 10 May 2013
Good reading based on historical fact - thoroughly enjoyed it. Would like to read more of this author's books - as interesting and intrigueing.