Customer reviews

Sleight Malice (Mystery)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 5 October 2010
Laura and Ryan's home burns down. A man's body is found in the embers but Laura is missing. The police seem baffled. Laura's best friend, website designer Desley James, takes matters into her own hands to solve the mystery. The more she probes, the more complex things become. Friends and family are drawn into the intrigue. Twist follows turn as the story builds up to a tense climax - and a most surprising conclusion.

Vicki Tyley has given us another fast-paced, readable whodunnit mystery, set in her Australian homeland. It's a very enjoyable and easy read, with fully developed characters and natural dialogue, and some well-judged romantic interest along the way. The Australian setting adds to the appeal.

Desley is a warm and sympathetic character that you grow to like.

I really enjoyed 'Sleight Malice'. Get it at the current price and it's an absolute bargain too.
on 17 September 2010
'Sleight Malice' by Vicki Tyley kept me up most of the night. In this mystery/suspense Ms.Tyley skillfully rachets up the pressure until I felt I couldn't endure it any longer. Then there is a surprise ending. You will get no hints from me.

Ms. Tyley cleverly provides several suspects and red herrings that left me unable to predict the finale. I love the Australian background with little comments about climate, scenery, housing and way of life which all blend in smoothly with the plot. Ms.Tyley gives small touches of humour at intervals allowing the reader some much needed breathing space.

I sensed a tension between Delsey and Fergus Coleman throughout. This is very normal since the relationship develops under so much anxiety and makes it even more realistic.

Vicki Tyley shows that she is a professional by providing readers with both three dimensional characters and a well written, polished, difficult to solve mystery. I eagerly await her next book.
on 2 December 2010
Hmm. I find myself unable to rate this as highly as most other reviewers. This may be due to my expectations being too high as it is set around my hometown.

It is a very readable novel even though the writing is simple rather than stylish. And it is intriguing with a lot happening as a web-designer's best friend goes missing and murders take place. There is a lot of filler material but little which provides colour to the setting in Victoria, Australia. There's a twist or two, and particularly with the ending. And while it is all broadly plausible, my reaction was more "Oh, really?" than "Wow". I also thought there was quite a bit left hanging.

In short, not difficult to turn the pages, but readers shouldn't expect a challenging, well-written tale. Submitted in the hope that I haven't been overly critical for the wrong reasons!. 7/10 (Kindle version)
on 26 August 2010
I was fortunate to receive an advance copy of Sleight Malice. As was the case in her previous novel, Thin Blood, Vicki Tyley has woven a wonderfully complex tale of deceit and murder.

After her best friend's home goes up in flames, Desley James enlists the help of private investigator, Fergus Coleman, to find the missing woman and her partner. As their investigation heats up, Desley begins receiving threats against her own life.

Sleight Malice is a first-rate mystery guaranteed to keep you guessing. The characters and setting are richly detailed and the novel is filled with suspense to keep your heart racing. Vicki Tyley is definitely an author to watch.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 April 2012
There is a good plot in this book, which is the only thing which kept me reading to the end. It concerns Desley whose friend and her partner mysteriously disappear following a house fire. Desley and her private investigator client try to work out what has happened. I was interesetd to know what happened next, whose body was found in the fire and where Laura and Ryan were and I think that there was a well constructed story acting as the framework for the book.

Where this novel woefully failed was in working the plot out using realistic people and events. The book appeared to be a series of plot developments with no character depth at all, no attempt at motivation and no description. It was almost like a bulleted list of events which made up the story and nothing else.

Events and a reasonable plot do not make a story. I wanted to know how the characters felt, not just what they did. I wanted to know why they did what they did, not just that they did things. I would have welcomed some back story for Desley, some reason why she wanted to unravel the mystery and some idea why her marriage failed (or even why it occurred in the first place).

Just not good enough - and the title makes no sense at all.
on 30 January 2013
When Desley James discovers that her best friend Laura's home has burnt to the ground with a body discovered inside it and her friend missing. She embarks on a quest with Fergus, a private investigator, to find her friend, uncovering many black holes about Laura, realising that her friend was keeping secrets from her.

The story is well written and the story starts well with the chief character Desley uncovering truths about people she thought she knew well, even her estranged husband Trent she discovered, was leading a complicated life.

What let the book down for me, was that the story struggled to move with any pace in the middle of the story, with reliance on sub plots involving the police who seemed to be less informed on things than Desley.The story seemed to meander at this point with nothing really happening. But got back into gear at the end when the secrets began being unravelled and truths are revealed.

Overall a well written and entertaining novel that lets itself go for ideas in the centre but has a twist to it at the end.

A respectable 7\10
on 29 July 2011
I absolutely hate to use the cliche, "I couldn't put it down", but honestly it was applicable with this book. Desley, the heroine, was very real to me. When we first meet her, she is not a woman with superhuman emotional strength which is what helped me to relate to her. But she was stubborn, which also made me relate to her. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the budding romance between her and Fergus, and on top of it all, the murder mystery kept me on edge till the very end. I can't wait to start Ms. Tyley's next book!
on 6 November 2013
An interesting and enjoyable mystery, but it is a shame that the ending is so rushed. After all the lead up to the solution it is solved in a matter of paragraphs.