on 30 March 2017
Haven't seen these in years and was worth every moment, my advise is watch the deleted episode the picture quality is great on Bluray and that episode does explain a couple of things. So, want some nostalgia? take a trip down memory lane, also the very last episode I don't remember seeing on tv, it may have been on and I missed it and if you did, it's worth buying just for the last episode.
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 May 2017
This was a hit of nostalgic fun for my wife and me. Not the best of the Perry and Croft collaborations - we prefer Dad's Army, and You Rang M' Lord - it's nonetheless got enough charm to be worth seeing, and perhaps even having. For me the upstairs downstairs formula of You Rang, M' Lord has weathered the march of time better than the 'old empire' thing here has.

Donald Hewlett and Michael Knowles are pretty dependable, and make good 'officer class' types, and Windsor Davies' sergeant major is a great character. Some of the other characters are less charming: Bates as Rangi Ram might present 'issues' for some modern viewers*, whilst Don Estelle, who arguably has a fine singing voice (albeit not at all to my tastes), and Melvyn Hayes seem rather too much like regional panto players to me. And then there are the rather dull ones, like 'Solly' and 'Parky' (less so 'La-de-dah'), and a few others I can't even bring to mind now, so cipher-like are they.

The basic idea for It Ain't Half Hot, Mum, is, like all the Perry and Croft series, a sound one, drawing heavily upon their own personal experiences. And following the misadventures of an army entertainment outfit, as the sun sets on the Empire, is a great scenario. But faking the heat of the tropics under leaden British skies, with all your actors in a permanent baby oil sweat, well... it's kind of hard to believe in.

Certainly there are some laughs to be had here. But there are a few groans also. And rather too much that is just that touch too pedestrian. I'm torn between giving this a rather generous four stars, or a slightly harsher three. In the end I've gone for four, not just because it has its moments, but also because it documents interesting aspects, albeit rather bizarrely, of a fascinating moment in the decline of the once 'Great' British empire.

* Neither I nor my Anglo-Indo-Caribbean wife are bothered by what some contemporary PC critics have condemned as this instance of comedic 'blackface'. In fact, on a related theme, my wife's favourite Peter Sellers comedy is The Party, in which he plays the wonderful Hrundi V. Bakshi.
on 17 March 2017
We had a blast after receiving this collection.
We had a "It Half Hot Mum" night which ended up being a weekend that was full of laughs and reminiscing.
This comedy takes me back to my childhood and even after, cough cough a few years now, I still find this series so funny. Politically correct? nah,, but funny never the less.
on 30 May 2017
I forgot how funny this is.Windsor Davis is a comic genius,& you can see some of the actors trying their best not to laugh in a lot of the scenes.It hasnt dated at all, because it was about a period of the past when it was made.A true classic that should be on any comedy fans shelf.
on 1 May 2017
I could wax lyrical, drone on about halcyon childhood television.

So I won't.

It is not PC, it is funny and i love it.
on 3 September 2016
great series Windsor davies is superb micheal bates is greats and other great performances the one problem the entire series is supposed to be just before vj day . the cast age a bit a put on a bit of weight here and there because of the series lasting over several years . but that does not take anything away from this superb sitcom. you fill the heat when you see them sweating it out in the jungle .the entire series looks crisp and clear like it was filed just recently a comedy classic and being a set in ww2 does not age like some other sitcoms great to have in your collection
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 April 2016
Not viewed yet but I know my husband and I will enjoy it. We are old enough to have seen it first time around. Why oh why do we not get entertainment like this anymore. Not particularly about the war but just good situation comedies without unnecessary swearing.
on 13 November 2016
Brought back memories, shame it will never be aired again, due to the Nanny State and PC interferes. Constantly great witty lines and great Performances
on 6 August 2015
When I first watched this in the 70s, I was too young to remember the storylines and plots. Most of the jokes went right over my head but I still enjoyed it for the catchphrases, the physical comedy and the sergeant major. Watching it now is like watching it for the first time. Ok, so my sense of humour has matured and there are some words and phrases that I would never use, in public or private, but in the context of when it was made and the era it represents, it is still very, very funny.

...and just like when I was a kid, I still watch every episode until the sergeant major screams "shut up" at the very end.

I bought this on Prime Day. It was very good value, arrived very quickly and was well packaged.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 March 2016
After not seeing "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" for years. (The BBC will not show them) I found it still funny and sometimes hilarious. I know it is not politically correct but this is how it was then in the British Empire. Nice to see the late Michael Bates again playing Rangi Ram. I'm half way through the box set and enjoying every minute. British comedy at it's finest. You can tell me to SHUT UP now. Quick delivery too. Thanks.