Customer reviews

Style: Base|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on 1 May 2014
I bought the original 24-120 some time ago and was never satisfied with it (lack of sharpness and clarity). I sold it and bought the 28-300. Though ok this lens again is not up to my (and Nikon's old) standards, and when focussing close (say up to 5 metres) the 300mm setting is only equivalent to 180mm. Nikon know this and seem to think it is acceptable.. Decided to try the new f4 24-120.
It is superb, as sharp as any zoom lens I have used. No contrast or flare problems. Very slight barrel distortion at 24, but not significant and less than the 28-300 at 28.Thoroughly recommend it.
on 4 December 2016
I originally had the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 and in the beginning I loved the lens with its large f/2.8 aperture, quick focusing and sharp image results; if only it had VR; but eventually the honeymoon period came to an end when one day the zoom became gritty and unsmooth in operation and started jamming up. I found out that this was a common issue with the 24-70mm lens and sent it off to Nikon for repair. After the repair the lens was never as good as it was originally, especially with regard to edge sharpness and even in the good times using this the lens I found the maximum zoom of 70mm was a bit on the short side and wished for more reach. In the end I sold my 24-70mm f/2.8 and decided to try the Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VRII lens and I’m glad that I did:-

Although the 24-120mm only has a maximum aperture of f/4; VRII more than makes up for it; especially at the telephoto end when the light gets low; enabling one to keep the ISO setting down for maximum quality images. The extra zoom reach to 120mm is really welcome and is great for portraits; it makes this lens the ideal lens for walkabouts; on holiday, weddings etc. and professionals do use this lens. Then there’s the price, one can buy two or three of these for the cost of the new 24-70mm VR lens; which makes the 24-120mm VRII lens excellent value for money.

What about the performance? On my copy; autofocus is very good and accurate; sharpness is also very good at all zoom settings and I found that the same is true for edge sharpness at all zoom settings (only slight fall off). As far as geometry distortion and vignetting are concern it’s not a issue if use the camera’s distortion and vignetting control and if one is working with RAW images ensure that you have selected the correct lens profile in Lightroom, or Photoshop. Compared to the 24-70mm f/2.8 when it was at its best, the 24-70mm f/2.8 was marginally better in sharpness and autofocus was a bit faster, but then I’m almost splitting hairs here and one is paying a whole lot more for it.

I wish I had bought the 24-120mm f/4 VRII first, instead of the 24-70mm f/2.8; it would have saved me a lot of money. This lens for me doesn't disappoint and if you do buy this lens test it thoroughly as soon as you receive it to make that you have a good copy.

For me, the Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VRII is the prefect companion for my D800.
on 20 October 2016
I was lucky enough to find one of these in a sale and, as I'd wanted one for a long time, I snapped it up. It arrived quickly, perfectly packed and complete in its original packaging. Obviously, I couldn't wait to try it out and, barely out of the package, it went straight onto my Nikon D750 for a wide angle shot of my kitchen. The image looked so good on the camera that I had to put it onto my 27-in iMac screen—it was a stunning photo, extremely sharp and with no sign of aberrations. Since then I've taken pictures with it at all the interim settings up to 120mm and I'm delighted with it. It's an ideal lens for walking about, provided you accept that it's no lightweight. However, I've been used to carrying around a 28-300mm, and there's little difference in weight. The extra bit of wide-angle performance is useful and I don't need the longer length very often. It's been a good buy and I'd recommend it as an excellent lens that would cover the bulk of requirements for many photographers.
on 24 August 2014
I bought this lens for my Nikon D610 and I am extremely pleased with the auto focus reacts very quickly the colours and detail are great,a very good buy.
on 30 July 2013
I had never had a wide angle zoom before, so this was a revelation and I am completely happy with it. I shoot pretty much everything and find the focal range covers a huge amount of the photography I take and gives me excellent image quality.
on 12 April 2015
I brought it for my new d750 , is full frame lens sharp image i m happy with it
on 15 March 2014
Just used this in the studio and am genuinely surprised how much better than my 24-85 this is- pin sharp and better contrast. Size and weight are fine for me. Toss up between this and the 24-70, I will miss the 1 stop of extra bokeh but the extra reach and VrII more than make up for it, ideal lens for weddings.
on 30 September 2013
The lens exceeded my expectation in it versatility. It is an ideal lens for general photography with staggering results. It is easy to use and when used with a tripod for longer shots, the results are spectacular.
on 14 June 2017
Great all rounder lens, I'm not very technical but this lens gives me all the range that I need for travelling, it's light weight and this lens got me back into photography so I'm ever so pleased with it.
on 5 May 2016
Works well, very good lens