on 4 May 2017
Excellent book. Originally, I downloaded a sample from my Kindle as the title was interesting, and then, I could not put it down. I had to buy it to find out how her spiritual journey to Islam develops. She was attracted to Islam from a very early age, and even she confesses, had a tattoo stated "The Truth" in Arabic, before she embraces Islam. Like a description when she is in the plane, reflecting the view outside of the Earth, then deciding she has to make that leap, going to the hotel down in prostration. She later embraces Islam. Then, it takes her on a fascinating journey in life in Egypt (prior to the turbulent Arab Spring era), and the political/cultural challenges. She also discusses the challenges of our times with east and west cultures and importance of mutual understanding (especially coming from a western background herself). She also makes a journey to encounter a lady sufi in Syria ( prior to the tragic civil war), and meets some remarkable people. How did she get the title to the book? I let you find out.....a fascinating read. As long as you recognise that everyone's journey is different, and to come to certain conclusions, you have to ask searching questions, and recognise everyone has limitations, you will enjoy this book. Highly recommended.
on 17 May 2012
I bought this Book to read as I was interested in both Egypt and Some one converting to Islam. Have really loved reading this book and how she came into Islam.I would really recommend this book whether you are interested in Islam or not . It is not a preachy type of book it is very open .
on 29 May 2017
Wonderful book takes you away into another world and makes you think about life.
on 30 December 2012
This book has the ability to draw you in from the very first page. Willow is a friend that everyone has and can relate too. The story is so personal and insightful it makes you want to read more. I hope there is a follow up novel one day to give the story a fitting end.
on 28 January 2013
G. Willow Wilson is a superb writer. After being out of the swing of reading for a few years, this book made it both easy and pleasurable to curl up and get lost in the text. The way it is written is engaging and intelligent, anyone can follow Wilson's thought process as if they are living the story themselves. There are issues which are addressed in this book which leave a lasting impression with the reader, and I personally found myself not only seeing things from the points of view of many different types of people, but also learning invaluable lessons about different societies and different cultures. I felt that I could relate to Willow' s situation of belonging to different nationalities but sometimes feeling alien amongst my people. I will continue to think about this book and would definitely recommend it to everyone, it is a fantastic read.
on 19 February 2011
This gem of a book is well worth the read. I bought it one day, as I saw it on a bookshop shelf.....and it is so sensitively written. AS a british convert to Islam, also married to an Egyptian, I really connected to the author and her beautiful description of conversion, the struggle for being understood across two continents, 2 religions, and her description of Cairo (all the more interesting given recent events) make it a stunning debut book from a young writer.
It is in part a book about religion & identity, a homage to Cairo, a gorgeous love story, and, above all, a book about being true to oneself, whatever the cost...... buy it !!
on 14 January 2013
Being an English woman also living jn Egypt with an Egyptian husband this book echoed familiarity to me. The author manages to explain situations, feelings & emotions I have long since given up trying to arficulate, as I could neither understand them, nor find the words to explain them. Many times I found myself with wet eyes.
This book has given me a great gift. Inner peace.
Finally I am ready to be true to myself.
on 13 January 2013
I finished this book within a few days of starting it- I was hooked from the first chapter.
Listening to people speak about their conversion to Islam is always inspirational and Willow's story is no exception. Her motives, thoughts and decisions towards that point are well described and you feel you can connect with her thought process and the story she is telling... I felt like I had been on a journey with her once I had finished this book! She documents all aspects well, including how her family and friends took her decision.

The book is a good length and no part of it is over-done or goes on longer than needed to understand the point Willow is trying to make and the point each part has in the overall story. She does not preach at all in this book; it is, as the title says, 'a young woman's journey towards love and Islam', and is definitely worth a read if you are interested in spiritual and inspirational literature.
on 2 May 2013
A beautifully crafted book. The more I read, the more I wanted to learn about the author's journey to finding Islam and love in Egypt. You experience all the things she experiences; irritation, confusion, excitement and peace. A lovely lovely read.

However, as with other reviewers, I was a little dismayed that there were so many references to Sunni vs Shia Muslims, which felt a little out of place and unnecessary to the story as a whole.
on 21 September 2014
Only had a few days and over half way there!. She talks about Cario in detail (which was nice as I have never been there) and also talked about conflicts in herself about Islam and worries about her family and friends on her conversion (again was nice as I can relate to that).
It was delivered quicker than I thought it would be to. Thanks!