on 2 January 2015
The Cure are a band constantly reinventing themselves but they have never been better than this. It is darkly beautiful, intense, melodic, passionate, cool, and powerful. It is very hard to get in to because of the length and under cutting songs, and I recall the exact point where it got under my skin. There are few albums where that happens, and when it does you know you're listening to something special.

I would find it hard to do my Desert Island Discs but this album would always be one of my choices to be lost with.
on 24 August 2010
Okay, not the most original best album but such is life. In 2007 I started playing this album obsessively for a few months (after playing it obsessively for many many years after release). At that time I made the momentous decision that this album was indeed my personal favourite of all time. It's barely dated after 21 long years and now the heavens have parted and the duluxe edition is incarnate.

Disintegration could never be enjoyed fully without it's little sister, Entreat. For instance, the live version of Disintegration (the track) is much better than the album version in my opinion. The intensity comes out so much better with the faster tempo. I'd give my right bollock and perhaps my left one too to have been at Wembly that night. Oh well.

And now we have Entreat with four more tracks. Hallal-farking-uyah! Life is good!

For a long time I've wished that Amazon allowed reviewers to give their products half or even quarter stars -- so a really amazing album could be allocated 4.75 stars. Well, this one deserves the full monty - it's truly a five star effort.

Getting older isn't always huge fun but I'm happy that I was 17 when I got into this album. Life wouldn't be the same without it.
on 14 March 2013
This CD is among the best of The Cure. It's a consistent album from start to finish with beautiful arrangements and great instrumental. The album originally released in 1989 brings a repertoire of quality where we highlight "Pictures Of You", "Lullaby", "Disintegration" and "Untitled." This version "deluxe" came to enrich this work with good rarities on disc 2 and with good recording level. Moreover, there is a third disc that is the entire repertoire of the original disc in live version, called "Entreat Plus". It is valid for all fans of the band and for those who enjoy this style of music. In version "deluxe" is also among the best, if not the best. Excellent! Note 9.0.
on 24 September 2011
It's my favourite TC album, I do admire sound of every song on it - same with for example "Reign in blood" from Slayer or Paradise Lost's "Icon". I didn't hesitate much then with purchasing this edition. What we have here, then? Original album remastered with 5.1 sound format. Second disc with rare and demo tracks of "Disintegration" period- some of them in instrumental versions or with vocal tracks marked, other are non-published, yet worth checking (like "Esten" or "Out of mind"). Plus, cover version of "Pirate ships". Last CD gives fans whole album in live version, from various gigs in different countries I presume. All in nice package, topped with booklet with history of album's creation and few photos. A must for Cure fans, recommended for other gothic rock lovers too.
on 23 February 2014
First Impression:

I first heard this album back in 1989 whilst working as a trainee draughtsman. My colleague lent me this album, and as I was new, well, it seemed polite to at least listen to it. I must say (initially) I wasn't fond of Robert Smith's voice, however, I was drawn to it both musically and lyrically.

Overall Impression:

I can truly say this is the album I have listened to most. This is an immersive album (the track lengths help) with (in my opinion) poetic lyrics that are full of emotion. Sure I said, I wasn't taken to Robert Smith's voice, however, his singing is befitting of the songs to which he is expressing (now I'd not want it sung by anyone else).

If you feel anything from the last verse of "Pictures of You" this is certainly for you.

- - - - -

There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

- - - - -

Enjoy
on 27 March 2012
I'm in my late 30's now, and have heard many many albums.
But still, this is up there as one of my favourite albums of all time.
I was a curehead in my teens, so I'm a bit bias maybe.

Digital reproduction is very good.
Plainsong is absolutely brillaint to listen to on the hi-fi.
And is still one of the best album intro's ever.

A must in any CD collection, no matter how old you are!
on 20 January 2013
I have 'Wish' and purchased this CD on the recommendations on Amazon. Initially I didn't like it. So, different than 'Wish'. I listened during my daily exercise via my MP3 and gradually it grew on me. Now I consider this CD as one of my first choice for my daily workout. It is so relaxing and allows you to 'forget' and just drift into a dream like state. Truely wonderful.
on 22 November 2014
Iam new to the cures music ( just a tad late I know ) and some of their stuff naturally sounds dated but I must say this this album from the first note picks u up and holds ur hand through a decadent luxurious masterpiece which ozzes style and depth and stands up to the test of time .a must have album for all cure ne music fans out there
on 25 July 2014
Im of the persuasion that this isnt their defining work, but after 30 yearsof sulking i finally bought it and, yes its good. The extras haver had a kicking from some revieers, I thought they were fine at this price point.
on 24 July 2017
Top album, not my favourite but a close second to Kiss Me.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse