Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

Now here's a strong debut to light up the night sky!
'Gossip Girl' girl Taylor Momsen adds another string
to her bow and demonstrates an innate understanding of
the inner-workings of edgy urban pop-rock with a punky
twist. This tight little NYC quartet have delivered a vibrant
and energising collection of ten tracks all of which stand up
straight and strut their stuff with cocky confidence and aplomb.

Ms Momsen has a cracking voice. She slithers and snarls and
growls like she's been doing it all her life. She can also sing in
tune and the varied dynamics of her diction and canny grasp of
light and shade are a joy to hear! Bandmates Ben Phillips/lead
guitar and vocals, Kato Khandwala/bass, more guitar, production,
and programming and Jamie Perkins/drums cook up a storm around her.

There's not a duff song in the bunch. Particular favorites
so-far include the raucous slipping and sliding melody and
big, brash beats of 'Miss Nothing'; the stripped-down rough
and ready elegance of 'Light Me Up' (a composition not unlike
the best of Ms Morissette circa 'Jagged Little Pill'); the
consummately constructed and emotionally convincing 'Nothing Left
To Lose' which finds Ms Momsen at her absolute best singing a song
as good as any other I've heard this year and the simple (and simply
beautiful) string-enhanced conclusion provided by 'You'.

Let's be clear The Pretty Reckless are the greyhound's gonads!
If 'Light Me Up' doesn't take them to the front of the queue
it could only be because the world wasn't ready or didn't get
the chance to listen. I love it to bits!!

Essential.
on 1 September 2010
Unlike many people, i have never seen Gossip Girl. I heard 'Make Me Wanna Die' on the radio and instantly fell in love with the band. A brilliant album for any rock fan.
on 30 August 2010
By chance I heard The Pretty Reckless' 1st single Make Me Wanna Die a while back on tv and couldn't wait for a full album- but this is so much better than I imagined! If anyone's seen True Blood the sound of the band is very similar to the series' soundtrack and is also vast in styles. Think Ash meets Lady Antebellum- The female vocals vary from smokey, sexy and rocky to sweet and haunting- she is everything a front woman should be.
The tracks are simply the best out this year - from the very 1st listen this album will stick in your head in a really good way.
Simply put this raises the bar for female fronted rock and I hope this band get the recognition they deserve!
17 year old Taylor Momsen has been very famous for a long time, she plays Jenny Humphrey in the Us Hit show Gossip Girl.

Dont however let that put you off, this album is a true work of art.

Taylor writes all of the songs herself and composes the music also herself with the help of another band member.

Yes she dresses a bit provocatively for a 17yr old but she is expressing her individuality.

There is not a single song i can fault on this album, her voice for such a young age,carries a maturity and wisdom that is rare in such a young person.

There are 4 stand out songs for me that i rated 5/5 on my itunes which are :

My Medicine
Makes me wanna die - the video for this song is incredible
Miss nothing
Nothing left to lose

All the other songs i rated 4/5, there really isnt a single bad song on the album.

Im happy to know that she is playing at Donnington Park in June this year and i for one will be going along to hear her set.

Extrodinary !!!
on 17 August 2016
An extremely mature sounding debut album from this refreshing band. An album Avril Lavine could have made had she not decided it's more lucrative to churn out pop drivel. I can hear her influence on Taylor Momsen, whose mature singing belies her relative inexperience.
on 23 July 2013
I first heard of The Pretty Reckless when they were putting out their first demo tracks and instantly fell in love with Miss Momsens rich, heady voice. I adore the fact she writes the lyrics and music herself and her voice is genuinely perfect for the music. It is a warm, seductive rasp. The lyrics themselves are brilliant and so is the music. I have loved this album for a long time and will for a lot longer. Bellow is a brief review of the tracks.

1: My Medicine: This song is literally the perfect album opener. It has a nice groove to it, it's very funky and very old school Rock n' Roll. Great vocals and instruments. 5/5

2: Since You're Gone: This is not my favorite track of the album but on any other rock album it would be a stand out track. Good rhythm but the lyrics are a bit cliche for me. 3.5/5

3: Make Me Wanna Die: This is probably the first track by The Pretty Reckless most people heard, and it won them a lot of fans. The lyrics are dark and it has a seedy vibe to it. Again very old school rock. This is a very unique song that I really love. 5/5.

4: Light Me Up: The title track of the album, this has quite a country vibe to it, which I love. I love the lyrics, the vocals and everything else that goes with it. It is a brilliant song. 5/5

5: Just Tonight: This is one of my favorite songs on the album. It is very dark and hypnotic. Taylor's voice works brilliantly. It is very emotional and raw. Without any doubt 5/5.

6: Miss Nothing: Another single, I wasn't originally over keen on this song but it really has grown on me. It is an amazing song for when you're in a bad mood. So with that in mind I'll probably give it a 4/5.

7: Goin Down: A song about sexual relations with a priest after killing someone? Well...Why not? Unsurprisingly it is a unique concept but it works very well. "Well hey there father I don't mean to bother you but I have a sin to confess, I'm just 16, if you know what I mean, do you mind if I take of my dress?" You may wish to skip this track if you a religious but I personally love it. Another 5/5.

8: Nothing Left To Loose: Another country vibe track, I do really love this track and it slows the album down nicely after the very fast Goin Down. I'd probably give it a 4.5/5.

9: Factory Girl: WOW. This track is actually amazing. It is sleazy and rhythm driven. It is everything you'd want from an old school rock album. It is great fun and without a doubt my favorite track from this amazing album. 5/5.

10: You: This is probably the weakest track on the record but it is still very good. It is a very soothing balled that shows the softer side of Taylor's voice. But very sadly it doesn't match the sheer brilliance of the rest of the album. 3/5.
on 26 August 2014
I got this album having seen The Pretty Reckless live supporting Fall Out Boy. I originally got Going To Hell and enjoyed it so much I got this album too, and I have to say it is just as good as I hoped. Filled with fun yet edgy, catchy songs, I think it makes perfect driving music and it never fails to lift my mood! I would definitely recommend.
on 24 September 2013
Bought this on the strength of Make Me Wanna Die and i have to say i'm impressed by the other tracks. My Medicine, the first track, is awesome, and Light Me Up is brilliant too. Taylor's voice is the kind i have always wanted and i am not sure how she has it without a lifetime of drinking and smoking! Awesome album, can't wait for the next one.
on 1 May 2014
The quality of the songs deserves four stars (and three of them are 5 star riff-driven magic!), but at just over half an hour long (it's about 35 minutes), there's just not enough of them on here to justify giving it 4/5.
on 12 December 2010
I love this album and i usually don't listen to rock music. I am more of a pop person. I listen to Ashley Tisdale and Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato but Taylor Momsen is now like my 2nd favorite singer ever and you can tell she smokes a lot of cigs but makes her music work. Ashley Tisdale being 1st. If you are looking for a good rock group then this is the cd to buy.

My Medicine: This is the beginning of the album and what a way to start it off. This is one of my fav songs from the ep. and i am glad it was put on the album. It starts with her smoking a cig and then goes to soft vocals then right into heavy singing and rock riffs. 5/5

Since Your Gone: Starts off heavy and ends heavy. It a true hard rock song and one of the heaviest on the album. 4/5

Make Me Wanna Die: The first single off the album. I had downloaded it off youtube and listened to it like 5000 times i love this song. 4/5

Light Me Up: Love this song its a good rock ballad thats in between being able to rock out and slow dance to. 4n half/5

Just Tonight: The best song on the album and their 3rd single. I love this song out of the whole album and wish there was a acoustic version of it on the album as well. The perfect rock ballad. 5/5

Miss Nothing: Good rock song and the 2nd single matches up to their first. 4/5

Going Down: not one of my fav. songs on this album and i could have done with a different one instead. But it is a heavy rock song which i don't mind blasting once in a while. 3/5

Nothing Left To Lose: This is one of the soft songs on the album and really shows off Taylor's voice. I like listening to this song and singing to it all the time. The lyrics are amazing and its pure genius. 5/5

Factory Girl: My favorite heavy rock song on this album. I always am rocking out and singing to it. Its another one of my favorites. 5/5

You: The last song on the album and the softest song as well. It shows Taylor's soft side and her smooth vocals. 3/4

The only problem with this album is their aren't enough tracks and hopefully next one she makes there will be. I love this album and have yet to stop listening to it. I recommend you buy it if your looking for a good rock album.