on 9 January 2013
Entertaining and surprisingly informative read . Recommend to anyone who is considering a campervan holiday or something longer , even if you aren't it is a good book to just get lost in and laugh along at the misadventures. that follow .
on 18 February 2010
This book is definitely worth a read if you own or are thinking of owning a motorhome.
Why ?
Well certainly not because it is full of handy hints and technical doodads, it isn't
It is written from the perspective of a really 'normal' young lady about her and her husbands travels throughout Europe in their various wheeled homes.
It is written in a way every one( men and women ) can and will empathise with, telling of the ups, downs, trials and tribulations of motorhome life.
It is probably the most entertaining 'factual' book I have ever read.. To call it merely a travel book would be a travesty.
There is one down side.. It ended too soon and left me longing for more of the same !
on 15 May 2011
This is a genuine and cleverly written book with the authors enthusiasm shining through. Travelling with a family in a camper van must have many fraught moments but the author not only freely admits to them but shows the hilarious side to many of them. Who knew that a motorway ran alongside the ruins of Pompeii? This is a good laugh and great value. Highly recommended.
on 23 October 2013
This is not so much a book in that the chapters dont follow on from each other. Its more a collection of experiences that the author and her long suffering other half have had whilst on their travels . However dont let that put you off.. Its a very enjoyable read.. I didnt buy to read about how to travel in camper home for hols.. I bought it to read about the authors trials and mis haps of which there are many. There are a few tips in the back of the book which might be useful to some people. It was good to read about other destinations form the usual run of the mill as not many guide/travel books cover Gibralter and the Vatican City.
on 10 July 2011
Really, really, really enjoyed this book. It's written in such a way that you empathise with Allie immediately- anyone who has passport panics when handing it over to hotel staff will definitely have a laugh at this.
My favourite bit is Allie visiting the parador and her recollection of the video in Spanish class- she pictures herself sitting there but the journey to get there is another matter. It's just great! And from now on will aways be giggling when I hear the words Se puede!
Se puede?
Can't wait for the next installment!
on 22 June 2015
Author jumps about during chapter / country writing. At times it's difficult to remember which country or travel period the author is referring too. What are good the mistakes and problems suffered by the said travellers. Thus issuing a warning to would be travellers not to do the same! Also warning about certain campsites and about religious holidays in the catholic countries, also about Spain complacency to the tourist. Good informative reading.
on 31 May 2013
I enjoyed Allie's travels whilst curled up comfortably on my sofa.
It was easy to picture the scenes she painted and I still have visions of her tottering down the hill in her unsuitable sandals.
Allie does not pretend to enjoy all aspects of touring but she manages to laugh at her fears and I loved her descriptions of the places visited and the people she met.
Thanks for sharing your experiences Allie!
on 5 June 2011
I've never read a travel book, but I've travelled all my life. First as a child, country to country with my parents and then dragging my own growing family (now 5 children) around the world. One of the place I travelled and lived for three years was the UK, where despite my many misunderstands of the culture, I always found marvelous humour! This books is a perfect combination of that marvelous British humour and cultural misunderstandings. The author left me laughing more than once as I recongized many of my own mis-steps across other people's worlds!
Barbara
on 20 August 2010
I've done a fair bit of travelling, have often wished I'd written down an account of the experience, but after reading this book I realise I'd be out of my depth. This couple lived the dream, just took off in a van that was on the verge of being not quite up to the job and explored the places that regular tourists never get to see. They had some great times, a few minor disasters, and the reader gets the chance to live their dream by proxy. Allie is a wonderful raconteur, no pretentious fancy descriptions, just telling a story as if recounting it to a dear friend. That's perfection for a travel writer, taking their own experiences and making them feel as if the reader was also present.
Talented writing, instructive and entertaining, and I wanted to hug the writer by the time I'd finished the book. This book goes with me on my next trip, yes, around Europe in a campervan.
Delightful, I really recommend this book.
Jake.
on 13 November 2014
The book was an interesting read ,but I would have liked more about why a motor home and themselves as for the places the stopped at very informative I would recommend this book to family and friends.