Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 July 2017
Wonderful
on 15 March 2004
When my sister and I were young, if we couldn't get to sleep we'd shout out "Daaaad, sing us a magic song". The magic songs in question were three of the tracks included on this soundtrack: Lullaby in Ragtime, Good Night, Sleep Tight, and The Five Pennies. I've never seen the film and I don't think I've even heard the original versions of these songs, so I was overjoyed when the soundtrack was finally made available. Hearing the originals brought back so many memories, and even made me cry! The album is wonderful, even without having seen them film. The whole atmosphere of the soundtrack reminds me of It's a Wonderful Life, and I'm sure the film will be just as touching as that. The music is great - although you can't really go far wrong with Satchmo and Danny Kaye! You do have to like lots of trumpets and brass though. Catchy, stylish, moving, exuberant - everything a soundtrack from a classic musical should be!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 9 February 2016
CONTENT:

“The Five Pennies” featuring Danny Kaye and Louis Armstrong, a Decca Broadway Motion Picture Soundtrack, released by Decca from US in 2004, contains 18 songs. I have compiled a detailed song listing (including singles label & number, chart position, debut date, plus personal comments)(BB200=Billboard Album Chart):

LP “THE FIVE PENNIES OST” (Dot 29500)(BB200 22/1959):
01 Main Title – Leith Stevens & Orchestra
02 The Five Pennies – Danny Kaye (Dot 45-15962)(uncharted a-side, July 1959)
03 After You’ve Gone – Louis Armstrong
04 Bill Bailey, Won’t You Please Come Home – Louis Armstrong and Danny Kaye
05 Indiana Radio Montage – Danny Kaye, Leith Stevens & Orchestra
06 Back Home in Indiana – Red Nichols and His Five Pennies
07 Good Night, Sleep Tight – “Bobbie” (vocal dubbed by Eileen Wilson)(Dot 45-15962)(b-side, July 1959)
08 Lullaby in Ragtime – Danny Kaye & “Bobbie” (vocal dubbed by Eileen Wilson) (Dot 45-15991)(a-side)(RW Pop 116/1959)(September 1959)
09 Battle Hymn of the Republic – Red Nichols & His Five Pennies & Louis Armstrong (Dot 45-15991)(b-side, September 1959)*from film "The Five Pennies"
10 The Five Pennies Saints – Danny Kaye & Louis Armstrong (Dot 45-15941)(uncharted a-side, April 1959)
11 College Montage: Washington and Lee Swing/Runnin’ Wild, and Follow the Leader
12 Good Night, Sleep Tight Medley – Danny Kaye, Louis Armstrong, Susan Gordon
13 Just The Blues – Louis Armstrong (Dot 45-15941)(b-side, April 1959)
14 Carnival of Venice – Danny Kaye
15 The Music Goes ‘Round And ‘Round – Danny Kaye and Susan Gordon
16 Wail of the Winds – Red Nichols & His Five Pennies
17 Jingle Bells – Danny Kaye
18 The Five Pennies Finale & Battle Hymn of the Republic – “Bobbie” (vocal dubbed by Eileen Wilson), Red Nichols & His Five Pennies

POSITIVE POINTS:

1 This is a wonderful soundtrack of “Five Pennies” the story of “Red” Nichols, played by Danny Kaye and Louis Armstrong as himself, plus Ray Anthony as Jimmy Dorsey and Ray Daley as Glenn Miller. I still remember seeing Tuesday Weld as a young Dorothy Nichols (age 13), while Susan Gordon was Dorothy Nichols (age 6-8). Kaye’s wife, Silvia Fine also came up with 3 original numbers, including “the Five Pennies” which was nominated for a Best Original Song Oscar, while the music of Leith Stevens was nominated for Best Original Score Oscar.
2 Three singles were generated from this soundtrack, including both As and Bs.
3 The sound is very well remastered.
4 There is a 12-page booklet, with an informative essay by Will Friedwald, plus rare photographs.

NEGATIVE POINT:

1 There is no label & number.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

“Five Pennies” has a great soundtrack. I came across this when I was completing the singles discography on Danny Kaye. I personally collect soundtracks. And this one does not disappoint, and is totally enjoyable. This soundtrack was also nominated for a Grammy in 1959. If you are Danny Kaye or Louis Armstrong fan, this set will delight you, and is recommended.
on 21 July 2007
I originally had this recording on Brunswick (Stereo!) vinyl from 1959, but it has long gone.

After seeing it available on CD I had no hesitation in buying it again. Everyone on the recording seems to be having a good time, and the music ranges from pure jazz to a couple of more "ballad" type songs.

The US import I received is in Mono (which is probably better as some early stereo records seem too "separated"). Excellent quality and fine performances. 18 tracks, but it all fitted on one LP as some of the tunes are only between one and two minutes long.

I recall the film was partly fun, part "lump in throat" with a mushy ending, but well worth a viewing.

Not one of the best known soundtrack albums, but worth having it in your collection.
on 1 December 2013
loved the film for many years,and got most of danny kayes films and cds. i actually had this on vinyl,but i wanted it on cd for the car. i really wish i hadnt as the copy is not the same tempo at all. its as if they slowed it down,so dannys voice actually sounds alot deeper than it was. and of course the band would be in the same context. i would say to the company who re-leased this,really not to bother unless you get a like for like copy from the film. you shouldnt insult his legacy by selling this. listen to it on spotify if you want to hear it properly,or get the vinyl version.
on 5 October 2012
I did not know this cd existed until I saw it on Amazon. As great fans of the big bands and Danny Kaye in particular, we are very happy with this cd and have played it continuously since it arrived. We have the excellent film from which this is taken - telling the story of Red Nichols (played by Danny Kaye) who started off many of the big band favourites in his band. He quit the music industry due to a family crisis and the rest of the group went on to create their own bands.
on 1 August 2011
I'm thrilled to have the sound track for this film - it is one of my favourite films, very heart-warming. Highly recommended.
on 11 February 2013
I remember watching this movie as a child when the movie first came out all those years ago and we all loved it so when I saw it on-line, I did not hesitate to order it. As great as it was then, it's just as great today and I would recommend it to everyone! They don't make movies like these anymore.
on 11 November 2012
I should have realised that the music would sound a bit dated - my fault - but what I really wanted was the song The Five Pennies which I sing to my grandchildren as a lullaby, and that sounds just as great and as poignant as I remember it.
on 25 August 2012
This is not just a fantastic album, but is also a fantastic price, i mean where do you go to get the thing you want at such a good price, fast delivery and well presented...just bought the film to go with it..easyyyyyy