Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Disintegration [Remastered]
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 December 2016
With a reputation as purveyors of gloomy introspection, this - the Cure's eighth studio album - has often been seen as their defining statement. After all, there is plenty of doom & gloom on display to satisfy the most ardent Goth but that would be only telling half the story, for there are moments of beauty, tenderness & passion also. Released in May 1989, the album became one of their most successful, reaching #3 in the UK charts & builds on the formula of their previous release, 'Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me,' with long intros of magnificent, spiralling sound that pulls you into their dark, Gothic dreamscapes of obsessive love & despair but does it deserve to be recognised as their greatest album? I think it does...

1. Plainsong - Surprisingly, it opens with the sound of wind chimes. At times glistening; at times cacophonous, it has a plaintive melody & murmured, echoing vocals. Could the song be about death?.. "And it's so cold, it's like the cold if you were dead.".. It sets the tone & epic nature of many of the songs to follow.
2. Pictures Of You - A fantastic guitar intro heralds one of the album's finest tracks but it stalled at #24 when released as a single. The song seems to be about holding onto the memory of a lost love & the passionate feelings it evokes through the pictures you've kept of her. Not the first or last time that Robert Smith's lyrics would touch on how a man's love for a woman can lead to obsession.
3. Closedown - "If only I could fill my heart with love..." Is this song about losing the ability to feel through too much self-preoccupation? Whatever, it sounds great with dark, rhythmic drums.
4. Lovesong - Written by Smith as a wedding gift to his wife, it went on to become the Cure's biggest hit in America, reaching #2. Sadly, it was not quite as popular in the UK, stalling at #18. Though the music is rather sad, it is one of the band's sweetest songs.
5. Last Dance - Smith lamenting the passing of time & how the girl he once loved so passionately is now a woman, still beautiful but no longer the same. Through a last dance together, he hopes to rekindle the old flame but knows that it is impossible.
6. Lullaby - An odd choice as the first single from the album, reaching a very respectable #5. It has a wonderful arrangement, which creates an unsettling atmosphere & is inspired by a nightmare Smith had as a child. The lyrics touch on arachnophobia & how one becomes transfixed by our darkest fears.
7. Fascination Street - Probably the rockiest & most aggressive track on the album, with great bass & drums. Released as a single but only in America, it is said to be about the hookers of the infamous red light district of New Orleans
8. Prayers For Rain - Why was this magnificent track never released as a single!? I think it's the best song on the album! I mean, the music is absolutely amazing, boasting a wonderful guitar melody & cacophonous drums. As for the lyrics, Smith appears to be singing about a destructive & stiflingly oppressive relationship.
9. The Same Deep Water As You - The longest track on the album, at over nine minutes, it is complete with sound effects of rain & thunder & seems to represent everything one would expect of the Cure. There is an air of despair in both the music & the lyrics & is great to listen to while wallowing in your own misery, for it has an oddly cathartic effect.
10. Disintegration - A more up-tempo number, though it clocks in at over eight minutes but is it about the pain of breaking up with someone or the trappings of fame?.. You decide.
11. Homesick - Conflict? Addiction? Like most Cure lyrics there are many possible interpretations, so why not just lie down & enjoy the music? And as with most of the songs, there is a lengthy intro before Smith sings wearily of love & despair...
12. Untitled - I interpret the lyrics of this song to be about unrequited love... "Never quite said what I wanted to say to you.".. We've all been there. Too afraid of rejection to express our true feelings for someone & having to live with the regret of a lost opportunity. The music, as always, is excellent, with great drumming once again.

While it would be fair to say that it is a long album - clocking in at seventy minutes - and could well have benefited from the loss of one or two tracks, it is still one of the finest albums of the eighties & ought to be in any fans collection of alternative rock. It is, quite simply, the Cure's magnum opus.
Ok I admit it - I grew up with this band but never paid them the attention they really deserve...........until now....

This album is so amazing - slightly funny but so dark and rhythmic in feel.
Every song feels like a classic and I will stick my my neck and suggest
that this album sounds so complete - I bet none of the others quite live up to this one
in over all quality terms.

Are you like me - only ever liked the odd hit played over the radio from the phenomena known as the Cure?

Well listen to this and you will understand what all the crazy Cure fanatics were always on about.
on 2 January 2015
The Cure are a band constantly reinventing themselves but they have never been better than this. It is darkly beautiful, intense, melodic, passionate, cool, and powerful. It is very hard to get in to because of the length and under cutting songs, and I recall the exact point where it got under my skin. There are few albums where that happens, and when it does you know you're listening to something special.

I would find it hard to do my Desert Island Discs but this album would always be one of my choices to be lost with.
on 24 August 2010
Okay, not the most original best album but such is life. In 2007 I started playing this album obsessively for a few months (after playing it obsessively for many many years after release). At that time I made the momentous decision that this album was indeed my personal favourite of all time. It's barely dated after 21 long years and now the heavens have parted and the duluxe edition is incarnate.

Disintegration could never be enjoyed fully without it's little sister, Entreat. For instance, the live version of Disintegration (the track) is much better than the album version in my opinion. The intensity comes out so much better with the faster tempo. I'd give my right bollock and perhaps my left one too to have been at Wembly that night. Oh well.

And now we have Entreat with four more tracks. Hallal-farking-uyah! Life is good!

For a long time I've wished that Amazon allowed reviewers to give their products half or even quarter stars -- so a really amazing album could be allocated 4.75 stars. Well, this one deserves the full monty - it's truly a five star effort.

Getting older isn't always huge fun but I'm happy that I was 17 when I got into this album. Life wouldn't be the same without it.
on 14 March 2013
This CD is among the best of The Cure. It's a consistent album from start to finish with beautiful arrangements and great instrumental. The album originally released in 1989 brings a repertoire of quality where we highlight "Pictures Of You", "Lullaby", "Disintegration" and "Untitled." This version "deluxe" came to enrich this work with good rarities on disc 2 and with good recording level. Moreover, there is a third disc that is the entire repertoire of the original disc in live version, called "Entreat Plus". It is valid for all fans of the band and for those who enjoy this style of music. In version "deluxe" is also among the best, if not the best. Excellent! Note 9.0.
on 24 September 2011
It's my favourite TC album, I do admire sound of every song on it - same with for example "Reign in blood" from Slayer or Paradise Lost's "Icon". I didn't hesitate much then with purchasing this edition. What we have here, then? Original album remastered with 5.1 sound format. Second disc with rare and demo tracks of "Disintegration" period- some of them in instrumental versions or with vocal tracks marked, other are non-published, yet worth checking (like "Esten" or "Out of mind"). Plus, cover version of "Pirate ships". Last CD gives fans whole album in live version, from various gigs in different countries I presume. All in nice package, topped with booklet with history of album's creation and few photos. A must for Cure fans, recommended for other gothic rock lovers too.
on 23 February 2014
First Impression:

I first heard this album back in 1989 whilst working as a trainee draughtsman. My colleague lent me this album, and as I was new, well, it seemed polite to at least listen to it. I must say (initially) I wasn't fond of Robert Smith's voice, however, I was drawn to it both musically and lyrically.

Overall Impression:

I can truly say this is the album I have listened to most. This is an immersive album (the track lengths help) with (in my opinion) poetic lyrics that are full of emotion. Sure I said, I wasn't taken to Robert Smith's voice, however, his singing is befitting of the songs to which he is expressing (now I'd not want it sung by anyone else).

If you feel anything from the last verse of "Pictures of You" this is certainly for you.

- - - - -

There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

- - - - -

Enjoy
on 27 March 2012
I'm in my late 30's now, and have heard many many albums.
But still, this is up there as one of my favourite albums of all time.
I was a curehead in my teens, so I'm a bit bias maybe.

Digital reproduction is very good.
Plainsong is absolutely brillaint to listen to on the hi-fi.
And is still one of the best album intro's ever.

A must in any CD collection, no matter how old you are!
on 20 January 2013
I have 'Wish' and purchased this CD on the recommendations on Amazon. Initially I didn't like it. So, different than 'Wish'. I listened during my daily exercise via my MP3 and gradually it grew on me. Now I consider this CD as one of my first choice for my daily workout. It is so relaxing and allows you to 'forget' and just drift into a dream like state. Truely wonderful.
on 22 November 2014
Iam new to the cures music ( just a tad late I know ) and some of their stuff naturally sounds dated but I must say this this album from the first note picks u up and holds ur hand through a decadent luxurious masterpiece which ozzes style and depth and stands up to the test of time .a must have album for all cure ne music fans out there