Customer reviews

SoulBoy [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 31 October 2012
We invented Northern Soul. We made a Northern Soul movie. But we only get it on DVD while Germany gets it on blu-ray. Can someone explain why?Soulboy (BR) Min: 80DD5.1WS [Import germany]
on 10 January 2011
Overall, this is a very atmospheric film and in my opinion captures the time and the Northern Soul scene very well.
Hoever, the storyline is a little weak and disjointed, making the film episodic rather than a smooth narrative flow.

The performances by most of the leads are good, and the actors have a good go at the Stoke accent but understandably slip quite a bit towards Manchester/Liverpool (to be fair, I'm from Stoke and I'm often taken for a Scouser by southerners!).

On a technical side, the 5.1 soundtrack promised on the DVD was appalling (ie: not properly coded 5.1). The stereo version was much better, especially with a bit of ProLogic II upmixing.

A flawed film, yes, but still the best (only) "Northern Soul" film out there.

With a bigger budget, this could have been absolutely brilliant.
on 15 January 2011
Very enjoyable story about what happened to a lot of northern soul people,a bit dissapointing that no mention was made to the Golden torch in tunstall as the film is based in Stoke. The music is excellent and the Dancing is as good as you could get from people who havn't made northen soul a way life. The dance off probably adds a bit of interest but i never saw one at the wheel, torch, or wigan. Watch the film and enjoy the journey from lostboy to soulboy.
on 4 June 2011
This film was true to life I enjoyed it immensely lots of good tunes and all the dance moves were fab
My only criticism would be that perhaps on the credits rolling with all the names etc that they could play the 3 before 8
Dean Parrish Tobi Legend and Jimmy Ratcliffe

thanks for making this film :-)
VINE VOICEon 5 January 2011
The period is well evoked and a lot of the sript hits the mark. Like the hero I got into Northern because I fancied a girl way out of my league who went to the Torch and then Wigan. Everyone I know (including me) was a bit of a div the first few times I went but as in the film you either got deeply into the scene or as a tourist you went a couple of times and that was it. Believe me if everyone I've met who claimed to be a Wigan regular had been more than twice then the capacity must have been over 100,000. I'm sure there must have been violence between rival drug dealers but I never saw it and I never saw a fight at any Northern Soul venue back in the day - if you stamped on someones foot they would apologise for being in the way ! The dance off scene was complete and utter crap and the whole scene earlier where Alan warns Joe off his girl (Jane) was hard to believe. The Mod "Ace Face" concept was still going in 74 and a top face would hold on to his girlfriend by being simply very very cool.Quite a good sountrack (except that bloody scooterist favourite "The Snake") and a cracking cover of Magic Carpet Ride. All in all in spite of it's faults a damn good Indy film, well written with some good acting especially from the likeable Compston and Jones and a decent contribution on the subject - better in many ways than Quadrophenia.
on 26 January 2011
Really surprised how enjoyable this film was. Okay the plot's a bit thin but it's got likable characters played by good actors and lot's of great music - even the Stoke accents aren't bad! All in all it does a good job of recreating 1974 and made me wish I was a bit older back in the day. 9/10!
on 16 November 2014
Purchased this as a recommendation after purchasing Northern Soul Movie. Fantastic story line, the research that went into the Northern Soul scene by the production team is amazing. Was very disappointed that I never discovered this movie before purchasing Northern Soul Movie as I could've saved myself some money. Very pleased with this purchase and the content of the movie. Got itchy feet watching this movie as I wanted to get up and dance around my Sitting room. A very good reflection on the Northern Soul scene in the 70,s. If you love the scene, purchase this you'll not be disappointed. KTF.
on 10 August 2013
A really great film, well cast, well acted and with a terrific sound track although Double Cooking by the Checkerboard Squares is not on the album but is in the film. I was too young to be part of the northern soul movement at its peak although I loved the music then and now and I adolised the dancers (my older sister briefly dated one at one stage) and having this film is the closest I am likely to get to knowing what it was really like to be part of the Northern "in crowd" at the legendary Wigan Casino. Martin Compston actually learnt the northern beat and all the dancing that features him IS him, so well done kid, you did good. There are a few questionable bits in the film (ie if caught with anphetamines (speed) then why was there no formal arrest or charge made against the club and the dealer especially when someone has collapsed supposedly after taking them)? but my complaints are really few and far between. With a bigger budget (perhaps it needed a northern WHO equivalent with a big bank account to inject some serious lucre into it) this would have been phenominal, as it is, its a very very good film if you have never seen or just want to enjoy watching the amazing dancing that IS Northern Soul, and/or you want to chill and not have to work brain overtime to folllow it. I do really love this film and because I love it, I shall closely guard it as one of my very special purchases, not to be lent to anyone. I urge anyone who buys it to seriously consider doing the same.
on 10 February 2011
The script is woeful and predictable, the acting very average. Love the music but this movie will go in my list of top ten worst movies
on 18 October 2010
After A Long Wait, I Saw This Film In The Cinema. Thoroughly Enjoyed It.
It Is Not A Documentry About Wigan Casino But A Ficticious Story About A Couple Of Lad's Who Discover "The World Of Northern Soul" And Loosley Matches The Experiences, All Of Us Wigan Faithful Soulies Went Through.
The Music Is Fantastic (check out the soundtrack cd)
Will It Win Any Oscars ?? No But Still Very Enjoyable To Those Who Still Live The Life And Keep The Faith