on 20 August 2008
I bought this book last month & haven't been able to put it down since. Wish I had got it before embarking on jewellery making, I would saved myself a lot of money buying useless beading books.

This book is the perfect beginners guide & even advanced jewellery artists will benefit as they will be inspired by the projects, tips, techniques. The projects with pictures & detailed instructions will get you on the way to making beautiful jewellery. There is even a chapter on tiara making.

In summary, this is a book you will keep referring to over & over again.

Highly recommended.
on 11 March 2009
This book is excellent for a beginner and also for an intermediate (like me) and even an advanced beader would find something here. It covers so many beaded topics bead loom weaving, bead stitches (such as peyote and brick stitch etc), tubular techniques, fringing, netting and tassels, macrame, bead embroidery, basic stringing, wire beading, beads with knitting and crochet. It has clear photographs and instructions. It includes projects for each topic such as coral bracelet, netted scarf, tigertail necklace, tiara, bead corsage, wire kitted corsage etc with further ideas. A very good buy.
on 20 April 2009
This book, like all the books Dorothy has written, is excellent. The pictures are very clear, the instructions, ideas, quick projects to bead... It's one of my favourite books on beadwork. I have been beading for 7 years and this book has taught me a thing or two!
on 7 June 2009
nice pictures and some unusual ideas but not much use for a beginner.sadly book now on a shelf and I doubt it will get used ever!
difficult to get the materials from the list of suppliers in the back of the book! have yet to find the precise threads for one project.
very disappointed with this book as I was hoping to start bead making projects and have sadly not found it any use. not exactly what I would expect from a 'bible' for a subject- would seem to be for an advanced 'beader' person - not made clear in the description of the book when purchasing.
on 7 February 2010
As a beginner in beading this book is invaluable to me. It is set out in an easy to read format and explains all the different ways you can use beads. It sets out all the different techniques, in a easy to follow way. I don't normally do reviews, but this book is, as I said before, invaluable to a beginner, and I have no quarms about recommending it to anyone. I have even managed to turn out some acceptable jewellery, lol. Thanks and HAPPY BEADING...The Beader's Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to Beading Techniques
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 April 2014
I'm in the process of collecting all of Dorothy Wood's beading books because her books usually make it possible for a complete newcomer to beading to pick up one of her titles and with determination create something really beautiful, yet also usually has something in it to assist and inspire an intermediate or even advanced beader. This title is the same but even better - if I could only take one 'how-to' book to a desert island it would be this one!

While I love all of her titles, the lay-out of this one is especially good, for starters there is a front/back flap book-marker with the unexpected bonus of a cm-in ruler on the back flap! The rest of the book is laid out in a way to move beaders through the main techniques (looms, off-loom stitching, ropes/cords, fringing, netting, tassels, embroidery, knit and crochet, wire work, and jewellery!). Each technique is reinforced by her friendly, encouraging text, fantastic step-by-step photos, and lovely little projects to assist in developing comfort with the techniques.

She covers it all in this book including taking your beading 'to the next level and beyond', she really knows how to present techniques and ideas in a way that makes this accessible to anyone! In-depth instruction on every aspect of beading from choosing the right beads and tools to creating intricate loomed and off-loom stitched pieces with several gorgeous 'bead it now' projects in each section - there really is something for everyone here.

As an advanced intermediate beader I know I'll be using this book as a reference for years. There just are techniques I don't use on a daily basis so having this book in my personal library is going to be fantastic - if there is something I want to do that I've either never done or haven't in a long while, I'll be able to go straight to the technique and get started.

Very glad I bought this and recommend it highly to anyone interested in beading!
on 6 October 2012
Keen to learn the basic techniques, I bought this book - influenced by other reviews. They are accurate in that the content is really comprehensive, BUT the type size is so small - looks around 3pt in places - that if you don't start out with poor eyesight, you'll probably be heading that way by the time you've read through. Really disappointing that excellent content is wasted by lousy presentation. Compendium of Beading Techniques is equally useful and far easier to read.
on 30 May 2014
All the beading basics in here, was a bit disappointed to find several projects already covered in Dorothy Woods Beaded Treasures inside, it reduced the amount of projects by about five. Also I was unable to open the pictures fully without pressing the image a thousand times, sometimes it did not open at all. When images did load some were too small to see and not that clear and you're unable to zoom in without it going off screen and pixalated - not good when you're working by image and have poor sight.
Still a good book, wish I had opted for the printed version.
on 15 December 2011
Great book. Saw it at full price in a craft shop. It has lots of interesting projects including beaded knitted flowers using wire, which is what I was looking for. Many more things I haven't tried yet and some good basic techniques.
on 24 September 2014
Super book but much better to buy the book itself rather than the digital version. I just wasn't able to navigate around the digital book at all which meant I couldn't do any of the patterns, or find proper guidance as to where to find anything. I wasted my money and resorted to buying the hard copy of the book - which is very very good indeed. Lots of ideas and patterns. Suitable introduction for new beaders and good patterns for the more experienced.