Model Number: 215W (Newly Overhauled)|Change

on 13 July 2010
I was bought this model for my birthday as i am not the most advanced when it comes to gadgetry(understatement). Basically i was regularly getting lost on long journeys while using printed directions from the various map sites. I digress a tad. Right! **INSTRUCTIONS** Plug the NUVI 215 into the in-car power socket and wait for it to find a satellite. This is a one time only thing and then you are ready to go!! It's that easy. Inputting destination is easy and it gives you the option to save etc etc etc.
The screen on this particular model is very clear and gives you a multi zoom in and out option always displayed.
There is an eco-route option which i plan to use on my next journey. If you are a bit of an explorer, there is a points of interest function, petrol station, hospital etc etc etc. You can add detours, add a stop en-route. The screen is not cluttered with useless information and a shedload of funky icons.
Ooooh there's a bluetooth thingy.........whatever that is.
Comes with a car charger and windscreen suction mount which does it's job perfectly.

Basically, if you want a Satnav that does NOT come preloaded with Encyclopedia Brittanica and can trim your nasal hairs above 60mph etc etc etc......but want a sat nav that is simple to use, concise, clear and functional, this is the one. I am a proud technophobe and this is well within my capabilities. When you go online to update software and maps etc.....it's childs play (which suits me) The price is good.....in fact, it's all good, i'm impressed!!
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2010
I thought for a long time before I purchased a Sat Nav and wondered if I really needed such a gadget. Once I decided that wanted one, there came the problem of which one to choose, the review sites contain lots of often conflicting advice about the set up and operation.This can make it difficult to decide what model to choose. I scanned the internet for models, features and prices and found what suited me. An offer of a 10% discount on the price was all that I needed to make my mind up.The Garmin Sat Nav also came free P&P. The Garmin is easy to set up and use
straight out of the box and I have upgraded the maps to the latest version free of charge.The wide screen is easy to see and the bluetooth syncs with my phone to make and receive hands free calls. So far so good. I am very pleased with my purchase and look forward to using it on a decent journey.
on 2 December 2010
THIS IS A REALLY GOOD SAT NAV, IT IS SIMPLE TO USE GOOD GRAPHICS AND I WOULD RECOMMEND IT.THE SIZE OF THE SCREEN IS MUCH BETTER ASWELL. IT RECALCULATES THE CHANGE OF DIRECTION VERY QUICKLY. WE HAVE HAD AN RAC AND TOM TOM ONE AND THIS IS MUCH BETTER. I HAVNT USED THE MOBILE PHONE FEATURE ON IT, BUT OTHERWISE IT IS EXCELLENT.
on 20 July 2010
I bought this after traveling with a friend who was using a tom tom sat nav. While the Garmin will get you there eventually it falls far short of the tom tom system. Only a mile from my home it told me to keep right when I had actually reached a junction where a right TURN was needed. Later it told me to keep left and also turn left when I was on a road where no turns were required but the road did bend. These commands repeat frequently, they are wrong and can lead to turning onto incorrect side turnings. It suggests that the Garmin voice program, and Garmin, do not actually know the road maps properly.

Even worse problems occur when you choose to take a turn not directed by the sat nav. Where tom tom at first tells you to turn around and then recalculates for the new route the Garmin starts issuing directions to make meaningless turns, then says it is recalculating and then issues more incorrect instructions before recalculating again.

I've bought it so I am stuck with it and it does get me there if I take into account the problems I have described. Even if, on returning to Home it tells me I have arrived and my destination is on the right when it is clearly on the left. I would not recommend it to anyone without warning them of the many limitations and annoyances. Oh yes - there is also the over speed limit warning which bongs every few seconds even when you are traveling at the limit.
on 25 January 2011
When I ordered this item from Satnaveasy I genuinely believed that I was ordering a brand new Nuvi 1310. Instead I found that it is a refurbished and updated Nuvi 215W that I could have bought for less in a local sale at a car parts and cycle retailer. It has in handwriting on the Sales Order "free upgrade to Nuvi 1310 same spec as 2010 model", but I have yet to work out how to upgrade without having to pay. I think if an item is refurbished then it should be clearly stated as such on any advert. So I am very dissappointed. That being said, apart from the local map details being somewhat out of date, the thing works well and does what I would expect.
on 5 December 2010
I Bought the Garmin 215w to use in my company car, I went for this product because I already have 660w which is in my wifes car and we have had three years of excellent use out of it.
The 215w has blue tooth which I use as a hands free set for my mobile phone.I found the sound quility is terrible, it is ear pearcing and tinny.The speaker is set at volume 80% if you go down to 70% it is too soft and 90% leaves your ears ringing.
I was in London and the unit lost the satalite for about 5 minutes, "not the best place to get lost."
Another reason for choosing the 215w was the built in traffic avoidence which does not seem to work.
I sent the unit back to Amazon as faulty and they could not have been more helpful if they tried, I had a replacement unit in 48 hours.
I have had the new 215w for a week and the sound on this one changes from a lady giving you directions to a cartoon character with the same ear pearcing ring to your ears.
With the sound being worse than the first unit I think that there is a design fault or a faulty batch of speakers in the units out there.
I am now returning this unit but will upgrade to a different Garmin model.
Once again Amazon have been very helpful.
on 17 April 2011
having sold a 2000 laguna which had a carminat renault sat nav built in i new i would miss the sat nav so i decided to get this garmin as it has a large screen , the trouble is i have been spoiled by having the renault system which was brilliant even though it was 10 years old, however when using the garmin i was pleased with the ease of use with the touch screen it is so easy to use , the speed camera facility is very handy display and sound to warn you .which i did not have before! so in short i don,t see any problem with it and it holds its charge when charged at home for an hour and a half before you have to plug into the car , once again many thanks to amazon for excellent fast service .
on 24 July 2010
This is my 4th sat nav, 3 previous units were built in carsystems. This is an excellent sat nav, very easy to use. I bought a map for north americal for the garmin and it worked without any problems. Plugged in the sd card waited a couple of minutes to pick up satellites and the unit was up and running in California.

i would highly recommend this unit, it has lots of features and the ability to preload destinations using Google maps.
on 6 January 2011
Having been a sat nav sceptic for years I eventually decided it was necessary to have one because of the frequency the police shut motorways when there are incidents. Opted for this one because of the price at the time, not necessary the best way to choose but I have no complaints.

The screen resolution is excellent, instructions are clear in a pleasant female voice and it has not led us up blind alleys yet!
on 9 November 2010
i was very pleased with purchase from ordering as a ambulance driver i find it a great help to find plases and my wife has now become a convert