I bought this one as a present for my girlfriend, who totally loves butterflies.
The jar itself is heavy and also has a butterfly fitting relief.
The butterfly itself is just wonderful, when it flaps inside the jar with that little noise, when it crashes against the glass, just like a real butterfly would do.
The illusion is only sustainable aslong as you don't observe it too close, because then one can see that the butterfly are only 2 wings attached to a metal wire.
I myself love it just as much as my girlfriend and tap the jar everytime I visit her, although we both are biologists and love the real ones more, but it would be cruel to have them in a glass all life long ;)
on 17 July 2012
Very well made and a great talking point. The Jar is very nice and looks lovely on my 8yr olds shelf, she loves watching it flutter.
I will say however dont put it on a window sill as it slightly ruins the illusion. If you are looking for something to keep your child amused for hours then this isn't it but if you want something with a little magic then this is well worth the money.
on 2 April 2011
i bought this butterfly in a jar because my friend had one.it is so real that all my friends have now ordered one.great novelty item.highly recommended.
on 15 November 2016
I brought my mum one a few years ago and love it so was so happy to find one at such a good price. Looks extremely real when its fluttering around the jar. Only downside was that the batteries were flat but that was soon resolved. Would happily buy again
on 29 January 2012
Flutters around the jar like a real Butterfly, is very convincing. I ordered this as a Christmas present for my 10 year old girl. She is very happy with it and shows everyone who comes to the house, managing to fool most that it is real!
on 17 April 2012
This is a must have! It's so realistic, random movements of wings from a gentle flap to totally believable flying around the jar. Even the cat believes it to be the real thing. Try it for yourself. Its amazing....
on 13 February 2014
I bought 2 of these, one for a 5 and one for a 4 year old girl. Both girls adore them. They are a talking point when anybody comes to visit or play in their room and look very realistic indeed.
on 24 February 2016
Excellent gift. Quick delivery and have been told it is still working even though I bought this few years ago. Just noticed this was still on my list of items to review.
on 2 January 2011
The butterfly in a jar is so realistic it is hard to believe it it not real. You have to stop yourself from unscrewing the jar and setting it free ! Fascinating.
on 14 August 2012
I bought this for a friend a secret santa gift. She looked slightly confused upon receiving it, but seemed to enjoy it. Incredibly life-like.