on 30 April 2010
This book is a perfect follow on from Beginning Ubuntu LTS Server Administration by the same Author.

I found it invaluable when approaching my first OpenVPN test deployment and when setting up more complicated Samba and LDAP systems. The language is clear and the examples make sense, although a lot of them tend to refer to slightly older packages. That is not the author's fault but needs to be considered by anyone using this book.

The Network Monitoring section is also a very useful introduction to Nagios, although again the version is not the most recent one. The basic principles are there and can be used very effectively to start a basic Nagios deployment.

Like all of Sander van Vugt's titles, I find myself referring back to this one again and again. Definitely one for every sys-admin's bookshelf.
on 15 July 2010
From the reviews I expected this to be an indepth book about the daily admin tasks with running a Ubuntu server. That usually involves scripting, mounts, auto mounts, troubleshooting etc. But this book seems more to do with installing services and I was disappointed.

The coverage that the author does give is quite good. Though I must admit that I haven't tried any of it.

If you a looking for a book which covers what I'm looking for don't buy this one. There is soo much available online that perhaps you don't need to buy a book at all!
on 26 September 2014