on 6 February 2010
This book is a must for those people who followed the 4400 series (don't bother to read it if you did not watch the series because it will probably not make much sense) and want to find out how the story concludes. The book is not bad, but in many aspects it gives you the impression that it is written in such a way that it allows more sequels to come (as normally happens with these types of series).

The book is well written and it reads very fast. There are several gripping plots going on at the same time, but for most of them you will need to read the sequel(s) to find out everything.

So if you expect to find out in this book the conclusion of the 4400 series, you will be quite disappointed. Luckily the sequel "Promises Broken" is already out and maybe it will shed more light on what is going on, but to be honest with you I do not hold my breath that I will find out everything there
on 3 January 2010
First of all sorry by my english.

If you like the 4400 tv show you will find this book very interesting. Seems to be like the pilot episode of the failed season five.
on 20 June 2016
I'm a huge 4400 fan. A very good book. I read it within a day. The book is easily understood only if you've watched The 4400 show. This book isn't perfect, but that's to be expected. This book answered some questions and gave me some closure.

Unfortunately this book's front cover came slightly damaged but it's no big loss. I ordered both books (Welcome to Promise City & Promises Broken) which came together and the delivery was fast. I was so excited when they came, I started reading Welcome to Promise City ASAP and will be reading Promises Broken next!

(SPOILERS AHEAD!) I loved the whole plot around Danny Farrell's body. Also loved the plot about the Marked. All the main characters were included in the book which was great. But some more than others though, unfortunately I was disappointed that Shawn Farrell didn't appear much, same with Kevin Burkhoff. Isn't Shawn meant to play a big part? It felt slightly empty without him. But overall it was a good read, I liked how Kyle's character was explored, and Tom's too. I also liked the whole story involving Ryland and Richard. And I can't forget about Collier. It was an interesting read. However, this book didn't explore relationships much, such as that between Tom and Meghan, Kyle and Shawn, Collier and Kyle, Kevin and Tess...etc. But it's definitely fun to read.
on 15 October 2015
Finding it quite a hard read. Some character Are described in detail and as i already had the image in my head from the tv show I skipped a few bits. Saving book for my holiday so only a few chapters in. Love the whole concept of the story it's brilliant, hope the ending isn't disappointing like Lost!!
on 24 January 2015
More or less what you'd expect. I wanted to see how the 4400 turned out, and the writing is much the same as the show. Just about bearable, but still strangely compelling. If you liked the 4400 and don't mind pretty awful writing, this is fine. You'll read it quickly enough, and it ties up the loose ends.
on 21 April 2014
Characters were still believable from the TV series
Really enjoyed the teenage Maia who is starting to develop her own personality including rebelling against he mother
I wonder when Tom will take the shot
Poor Kyle is really struggling with the situation unfolding , however is taking a stronger role with Cassie
on 8 October 2010
Fair to say that this wont be a great read for those who havent seen the series (despite reminders and recaps throughout the book). What the fans get is a great carry on of the series, which doesnt attempt to finish things off as there is another book to come after this (although that book doesnt try to finish it off either).

Seattle is now owned by Jordan and his movement of super powered people, all charging themselves with the duty of changing events in the present to help change the future that gave them their gifts. The main plot arcs revolve around an attempt to recreate the fifty/fifty disaster which killed 9000 people, but gave another 9000 abilities. Also, a team of p-positives are tasked with eliminating the marked, a group of people infected with personalities from the enemy faction of the future who are bent on stopping jordans movement.
on 24 May 2013
This book continues the story on from where the TV series of the 4400 left off. It generally does so in a consistent manner, but some of the characters (like Richard Tyler and Tom Baldwin) speak in ways that they wouldn't have in the series. This is a major problem and is the first indicator that the writer really didn't get immersed in the world that this book is born out of.

It starts very slowly and tries to make itself accessible to those who aren't familiar with the series, but doesn't do a great job. My main criticism of this book is that the descriptive potions are short and lacklustre, because of this the book never conjures up enough to really grip the reader. Towards the end the action gets interesting, but it doesn't make up for the monotony of the majority.

All in all, a decent book at the £3.99 Kindle price, but not worth the paperback RRP.
on 15 December 2012
Okay I admit my girlfriend and I were very late in catching onto this series, but once we did we were addicted!

This novel does really well at continuing the story that was so rudely interrupted by the writer's strike. I just hope that the tv executives read this and decide to resurrect this fantastic series. The ideas in this book are gripping and we are dying to know the end of the story!
on 29 November 2012
If you are like me and fell in love wIth the 4400 tv series , only to find it cancelled in its prime ..... This is definately for you !

It is well written and stays true to the tv characters ways of acting and speaking, and continues the story very well.

However it does not conclude the story, and you will need to purchase "promises broken" to continue where this leaves off !

If you didnt watch the series, i wouldnt bother reading this as it wont make much sense, but if you were a fan ... Enjoy !!