Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop now Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 27 August 2015
This is the first book in a trilogy of stories which features a number of Star Trek entities, from ‘Next Generation’, ‘Deep Space Nine’ and ‘Voyager’ worlds. The story (and the trilogy) were written by David Mack, a prolific author in the Star Trek universe. So you know you’re in safe hands here, for continuity, characterisation and the whole Star Trek experience.

In this first book of the trilogy, we see action from aboard several starships – USS Enterprise E under Captain Picard, USS Titan under Captain Will Riker and USS Aventine under Captain Ezri Dax. A large portion of the relevant narrative also features an earlier starship, Columbia. The main narrative is set in 2381, with flashback portions beginning in 2156 and continuing through to 2168.

In 2381, it is now some five years after the Dominion War, and the Federation is facing another threat – this time, the Borg are back and they are bringing annihilation wherever they appear. How can the Federation stop them when they cannot even tell when the Borg are approaching, or where they are coming from? How many billions must die, and how many worlds must be destroyed? Nobody faces the fear of the Borg with more knowledge and understanding that Captain Jean-Luc Picard, having been assimilated by the Borg as Locutus and survived. But is his proximity to the Borg invasion a threat to the ultimate fate of the Federation?

Meanwhile, in the Gamma Quadrant, the remains of a starship lost for centuries have been found. But how can it possibly have got there when technologies of the time did not allow for such distant travel? And on board USS Titan, the Captain faces his own fears as he realises he must risk all, again, to save those he still has left.

This is a fantastic novel; a great sci-fi read, and a brilliant Star Trek novel. I think the Borg are an absolutely brilliant creation, and a novel which features them as the enemy, apparently unstaoppable, up against the best in the Federation, is a recipe for a real winner as far as I’m concerned. The author has taken what feels like a cast of thousands and placed them in different places and timezones, and across the galaxies, and written an epic story as the first of the three in this trilogy. I look forward immensely to the next book in the series, Mere Mortals.
on 25 March 2017
First off I should make it clear that I am reading this as part of the Omnibus version available on Amazon, and that I'm reading it on a Kindle Paperwhite. You might be interested to know that the page count for this publication is quoted at 440+ pages, but my omnibus one clocks in at only around 270?

Gods of Night by David Mack is clearly part one of trilogy in the Star Trek universe. Although I am Star Trek fan I would not necessarily call myself a Trekkie, especially when it comes to the novels. I used to read a few of them back when I watched Deep Space Nine in its heyday, but since then I've picked up only a few Original Series books once in a while to catch up the exploits of Kirk, Spock and Dr McCoy as they are my personal favourites. I have found them quite difficult to get through, especially when I am forced to read about new characters rather my old friends from TV Land.

So. Why did I buy this one? Well, I had been toying with the idea of dipping back into Trek again, but wanted to steer clear of the original series (TOS) as I felt the characters were beyond character development - I mean we've seen Kirk die on the big screen right? I found a few websites showing 'timelines' for the novels, and there seemed to be something happening in the universe, a new re-launch I had missed, new crew, old crew moving on the such like. So after a little digging it turns out that the Destiny Trilogy might be a great jumping on point.

I've just finished this first part, and I have to say I'm glad I tried. It is a very good book. David Mack is new to me, but I am impressed by his style here. I found him very easy to read, and very good at story-telling. He uses just the right balance of action, description and plot development for my tastes. I have moved straight into part two, which is very unusual for me.

The plot revolves around the discovery of an old Federation starship, and its links to Trek characters and Trek lore. There are also plot lines following the re-emergence of old adversaries and crew. Mr Mack weaves the story around a number of Trek Series very well (The Next Generation, DS9, Titan, and new ship Aventine), splitting the story between two periods of time as well. Although I was never confused by this switching of time and place, as someone getting back into post-Nemesis Trek I did find the huge cast of characters difficult to handle at times. Most pleasing for me was the character development on show, there were quite a few moments where I raised my eyebrows in surprise, I am really looking forward to seeing how things develop.

Even though this is part one, I felt the book still had a beginning, middle and end holding it together. There is a nice ending leaving you wanting to read on though!

I would recommend this book to any Trek fan or potential fan. The good news is that if you find you like them, there are quite a number of books to follow as it has been a number years since this trilogy came out, and from what I hear, the ramifications of this trilogy has significant effect on further stories.

Now - back to Book 2!
on 18 June 2009
An excellent start to this series, quite unexpectedly. I don't remember being too enamoured about David Mack's DS9 continuation novel, Warpath, and I wasn't looking forward to more novels focussing on the borg - to be honest, they've been done to death in Voyager.

But this was different. The Borg, while being the enemy, aren't the main focus of this volume - they are a threat but they are very much in the background, popping up every now and then. I suppose in part that is because Mack has deftly intertwined the tales of four separate starships and crews, and only one has been directly interacting with the borg.

One psuedo-criticism is the absence of any explanation of how Dax has got from DS9 (where we left her in the most recent DS9 novel) to captaining the Aventine - but I suppose a gap is reasonable given that the novel timeline for DS9 has moved fairly slowly since the series ended. Also, this leaves plenty of freedom for the DS9 authors to write what they want to while they catch up.

A major issue I had was with the time dilation effect, which I thought the author had got completely wrong. However, having looked it up on the internet, and done the calculations myself, it seems that while non-intuitive, it is correct. This is why I've given an apologetic extra half star to make it up to five.

In conclusion, some parts were a little predictable, but then I suppose that if everything that happened was unexpected, one would have cause to doubt the logic of the storyline. So it's a good start, and I hope it can only get better!
on 16 October 2011
Genocidal Borg, unexplained deaths on the rediscovered wreck of an early warp vessel, untenable emotional pressures and an apparently omnipotent alien race all combine to test the resolves of four captains and their crews as they provide a last line of defence for the citizens of Federation space.

David Mack takes us on a journey of four paths - the commands of four captains - that ultimately begin to weave together into an unfolding tapestry of the desperate fight for survival which begins in this first book of the 'Destiny' trilogy, and will no doubt intensify in the following novels.

There's very little as likely to keep so many readers off-balance and uncomfortable as the Borg, and within the pages of 'Gods of Night' they are more ruthless and terrifying than ever. Uncompromising and merciless, they are hell-bent on nothing short of the complete destruction of all but themselves. The Borg element of the story is a perfection of tense hopelessness as David Mack shows us there is little we can do to stop them, especially when those in whom we trust are compromised by self doubt and recriminations. When those on whom we rely face devastating personal struggles that cut them off from their own sources of strength and resolve, all that seems left is a frantic scramble to clutch at any straw of hope. Thus, Mack handles Riker's helplessness in the face of his wife's anguish with a brutal honesty that is almost visceral, and Picard's instability under the crushing presence of the collective becomes a frightening reminder that even the strongest are vulnerable. These combine to make those sections of the book truly disturbing.

Less effective, at least through the progress of this volume of the Destiny trilogy, is the weaving of the Caeliar arc, and while Captain Hernandez and her crew's plight is harrowing, (and the MACO enough to send even the most controlled of Starfleet officers into a frenzy of 'grunt-hating violence), it feels less sharply focussed, and therefore less effective at drawing the reader in to suffer with them. However, the potential of this thread of the tapestry remains, within the final words of the novel, with Captain Riker's crew's discovery of the Caeliar survivors in a way that troublingly parallel's that of the crew of Columbia, leaving the reader with the feeling that it's all going to come back and bite the heroes' rear ends - hard.

New characters are richly drawn and the old familiar faces, perhaps not so familiar with the passage of time, nonetheless maintain integrity enough to hear the voices that brought them to life within the shows themselves speaking to the reader from beyond the TV franchise's grave - a rarity in so many novelised continuations of popular shows. This book is a page-turner especially once the story achieves its momentum.
on 11 December 2012
I love Star Trek and love getting drawn into the fantasy of being in it,this book got me hooked it made me feel like I am part of the Star Trek universe,I don't know why they don't make a film out of it or several films one for each book,I am on the second book now,but am sure will return to read this one again.
on 24 January 2009
I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read books 2 and 3. David Mack is an excellent author, he brings an Arthur C. Clarke style of mystique to his stories which are well suited to the printed page section of the Star Trek unvierse (be sure to check out the Star Trek: Vanguard series if you enjoy this, two of the three books so far were written by Mack).

The Borg have truly been restored as the greatest Trek foe returning to the relentless and unstoppable threat as presented in TNG. As another reviewer has pointed out you do feel that a major confrontation with the Borg is being held back until perhaps book 3 (but to be fair that would make perfect sense).

Having thoroughly enjoyed the last Enterprise novel, "Kobayashi Maru" it was great to find that Columbia and her crew play a major part in the story (be sure to check that out before reading this too) and ties in well to the superbly executed Enterprise E/Voyager/DS9/Titan crossover.

Although a little slow in parts this is non the less a great read and I'm excited to see how the trilogy unfolds.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 27 August 2015

on 20 October 2009
Gods of Night is the first book in the Desting trilogy written by David Mack. The first point to make is that it can only be described as epic in scope, with converging storylines involving the crews of the Enterprise (Under Captain Picard), Titan (Captain Riker), Columbia (Captain Hernandez) and Aventine (Captain Dax).
To read a novel that so neatly intertwines characters from nearly all of the various Star Trek series is a privelidge. The trilogy is a statement of how mature the franschise has become and I congratulate the author on the vision and scope of what he is trying to achieve with this trilogy.

Gods of Night is set a number of months after the events of the film Nemesis. Readers would do well to read Resistance, Before Dishonour and Greater than the Sum before starting this trilogy as they chart the "evolution" of the borg during this time period. The books are of varying quality, but Chris Bennett's Greater than The Sum did a grand job of restoring my faith in recent Trek novels and teeing up what was to come in this trilogy. I would also strongly recommend that you read the first few Titan novels before embarking on this trilogy, the historical perspective is useful, but ultimately becoming acquainted with the diverse crew is a must.

So is Gods of Night any good? On the surface it promises a lot: All out war with the borg; the mystery of a missing starship; as well as the soap opera of the characters from four starships.
Having not read any David Mack novels before I didn't know what to expect. I was intrigued by the Columbia, Capt Hernandez storyline as I have recently enjoyed wading through Season 1-4 of Enterprise and the novels which follow. I have enjoyed where the Titan series was going, but have not been overimpressed with post Nemesis Next Generation novels.

Gods of Night was like a breath of fresh air. Characterisation across all series characters was good, consistent, the handling of Riker/Troi and Vale probably the highlight, the emotional response that the borg always cause in Picard was handled well.
The pace is spot on: the interweaving story arcs here had to be paced well, keeping the reader suitably entertained, with there being enough in book one to reward the reader. I would say the strongest story arc to come through from this book would be the historic events of what happened to Columbia, set in the time period prior to the first Romulan War (events which have been building in Kobyashi Maru) their first contact with the alien race the Caeliar is interesting. The exploration of pacifism ideals provides an interesting counterbalance to the all out war approach displayed by the borg. The crash investigation/haunted ship story arc involving Captain Dax's Aventine crew compliments Columbia's historic well: the author revealing a different piece of the jigsaw puzzle at the right rate.
Enterprise and its deeply troubled Captain is a bit more of the same really, with recent Next Generation novels considered, although I am sure this will develop and come through more strongly in Books 2 and 3. Not to say this is dull, a war of attrition with the borg is as grave a threat that the federation has faced and is certainly a page turner.

In summary 5 star entertainment: Escapism on an epic scale. A welcomed fresh approach/style to the Star Trek novel. Word of advice: order the whole trilogy at once. This author knows how to write a cliffhanger of an ending. You will not want to hang around waiting for book 2 to be delivered.
on 23 November 2011
I've had issues with Star Trek fiction in the past, I've on times found it to be written by quite self indulgent authors who adapt characters to their own means, so it doesn't really ring true compared to what watchers of the series expected/were used too.

However, here David Mack has done an outstanding job. Each of the familiar characters acts and feels like 'themselves' and as a result this engages you into the story far more easily.

The Borg are back, as they are in so many of the novels, and while their attacks and the threat they give is a major part of the book, the author writes very well about the personal struggles of Picard as his single mindedness regarding the Borg comes through, just as it did in the First Contact movie, in many ways, this is the main conflict with the Borg in this book. I'm sure more is to come though.

Other story arcs involve the NX-02 Columbia at the start of the Earth-Romulan war, Captain Dax investigating a downed ship and Captain Riker, both on mission with the Titan and in his personal life with Troi.

The story itself is mostly set up for the other books (as you'd imagine from the opening book of a trilogy) but is fast paced and engaging. Four stories interweave well complimenting each other as they go (particularly the Dax/Columbia storylines). On occasion they jump around a little much, but generally this isn't an issue.

Really looking forward to #2 which is already sat waiting on my Kindle!
on 18 August 2013
This is the the first book I've read of Star Trek. I'm normally reading adventure fantasy books but I've always been a Trek fan. Anyway, the plot was interesting and involved characters that I knew well.

The book began in the dominion war when the USS Defiant wonders upon the NX-02 in the Gama Quadrant. The discovery left a lot of unanswered questions; how can an Alpha Quadrant Starship end up so far away from Earth? Could there be an undiscovered propulsion they stumbled upon? What happened to the crew? The plot continually grows through this book, involving the 'next generation' and 'DS9' Characters. I found this book captivating and hard to put down. I would recommend all three books of Star Trek Destiny.