1,507
Format: DVD|Change

on 22 May 2011
I have had the DVD box set for years but when my wife decided she wanted to see it, I found an excuse to buy the very reasonably priced Blu Ray set.

There are multitude of reviews about how great the whole series is so I won't waste time talking about the excellent writing, acting, directing, effects, etc. And I won't go on about the excellent interviews with the (then) surviving members of Easy Company which are sprinkled through the series and available in more depth as part of the extras. I learned while rewatching this recently that Major Winters died in only January of this year. He comes across both in the series and in interviews as an ordinary man who, when put in extraordinary circumstances faced them in the way I would hope to if placed in the same situation. It seems like he had a nice life after the war, and he was surely one man who very much earned the peace he craved.

Onto the technical aspects of the Blu Ray box set. The tin box is very nice and although the internal fold out box is a little cumbersome and delicate looking, mine did not fall apart in my hands as others have described in their reviews. Picture quality is top notch and serves as a great example of what Blu Ray is all about. However, for me, the sound is what makes the biggest difference. It is truly awesome and deserves to be heard in full lossless 5.1 surround sound.
Extras wise, aside from the usual extra 'making of' and interview features, there is a nice timeline feature which gives you additional information about all sorts of things ranging from military terms colloquialisms through to more detail on specific operations, military ranks and other things which may only get a passing reference in the series.
There is also Picture in Picture interviews with the men of easy company but be aware if you have a home cinema sound system that the audio from them will only work if you set your player to output 'PCM' audio rather than 'Bitstream'. It would have been nice if there was a note on the disc or in the box to inform oyu of this; I only found out through searching on line as I thought I had either a faulty Blu Ray player or a faulty disc!

I'm not a big flag waver but one thing this series definitely does is serve as a reminder of the sacrifices made by those who fought in the second world war. If you're not teary eyed or at least moved by the end of the series, you must be made of stone.
on 13 March 2017
These videos are more for my son than myself they are a war series from the TV and got many awards these came in very good condition thank you I am sure they will keep my son occupied for many hours next winter
*** BLU RAY VERSION ***

I can only add to the torrent of praise from other reviews here - "Band Of Brothers" on BLU RAY is an awesome experience.

I kind of knew this set would be something special, but even after watching just two of its expertly made episodes in HIGH DEFINITION - I am truly gobsmacked! It really is off the charts just how good this set looks - and sounds - both in perfect unison with each other. Most of the time you have to turn it down because it's 'too' damn real - working your home cinema system to a point that would embarrass most other big production films.

The 10 episodes are stunningly put together, allowing characters to grow and breath and allowing you to 'feel' their loss and sacrifice across the lengthy campaign it took to free Fortress Europe. The two specially made programs (particularly the one featuring Easy Company itself) are also among the very best bonuses ever put onto any box set anywhere.

The new in-picture extra is a genuine bonus feature that adds so much to something most of us have already seen (it doesn't work however on all machines). And if I was to have another minor moan - I would have liked a booklet instead of a single page in the lid of the tin. But little takes away from the achievement of this TV series - it's a joy to watch and re-watch this expertly made and heartfelt rendition of what so many laid down for us.

Another real consideration in 2009 is the price - it's presently one of the very best BLU RAY bargains available now selling for under twenty and less in most places - and in its dapper commemorative tin, beautifully presented too.

"Band Of Brothers" on BLU RAY is a winner - take the plunge on this - because it really is such a class act.
on 14 January 2011
There appears to be several instances on the Amazon and Play websites of the Blu-ray version of the Band of Brothers. I was wanting to buy one that had English plus one or more of French, Spanish or German audio tracks. The Play website indicated that their version did have multiple audio tracks (at a higher price) whereas the Amazon versions stated English only.
In the end I took a gamble with the cheapest Amazon version and in spite of it stating English only on the box, I was pleased to discover that it did provide 3 audio options: English DTS 5.1; French 2.0; and Spanish 2.0.
It also provided the following subtitles: English; French; Spanish; Portugese; English for the impaired of hearing.
on 11 December 2010
First saw this umpteen years ago on TV, then recently saw the blu-rays on Amazon. I couldn't resist the bargain price and snapped them up. It's hard to know where to start as everything about this series is superlative and puts feature film length war movies in the shade. The main difference is probably that the format gives you the opportunity to get to know these characters over a much longer period of time. However, that's not to overlook the quality of the cinematography or the palpable surge of adrenaline during some scenes. For me, the most powerful episode was in the woods around Bastogne, which was brutal, terrifying, horrifying and compelling. Having said that, every episode is a cracker in its own right and if you liked Saving Private Ryan, The Longest Day etc etc, then you'll surely love this.
on 13 March 2017
I can't add any more than has been said already - watch it.
on 10 March 2017
Amazing war time series an epic must see.
on 10 June 2017
The best series ever made! If you are a huge fan of Saving Private Ryan and have not seen this just buy it!
on 14 October 2013
Hi not going to write about the features etc as there are lots on here. Band of Bothers is one of the best series ever made in my eyes because the cast played the characters brilliantly it makes you feel what they are going through and fighting for also it makes you feel that you are there and a part of the company. I would recommend this to anyone because you should like it.
on 22 June 2017
If you want to get into a old war series this is the one for you brilliant