Customer reviews

The Two Ronnies - Series 8 [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 24 September 2010
This is the 8 episode season originally broadcast on the BBC from 1 November 1980 to 26 December 1980.

The serial running though the season is "The Worm that Turned" with the late Diana Dors. A tale where women's liberation has meant the men are now the "weaker" gender and are subjugated by women. The ruling class (women) enforce their rule by the use of a police force of women in shiny, tight, black shorts, jackets and knee high boots.

Sketches include:

- Mastermind - answering "the question before last"
- Energy saving
- Greetings Cards
- Crossword commute
- Ministry of Poetry
- Minister of Intelligence - art of secrecy
- Society for the Prevention of Pissmonunciation
- Shop sketch - sweet shop
- Shop sketch - bad writing
- Inventors conference, and many more.

The iconic musical numbers are:

- Broadway Malady
- Chumley Hunt
- Arabian Nights - Sultan's Harem
- Oktoberfest
- Rochdale Bell Ringers (campanology)
- Yeomen of the Tower
- Star Wars, and
- Circus Big Top

There are audio menus, and English subtitles, but no other extras - again.

The singing interlude alternates between Elkie Brooks and Barbara Dickson.

No season of the Two Ronnies is complete without Mr Corbett's famous monologues.

Those the season is more PC than previous ones there are still moments where they slip - so if you are very easily offended you may want to avoid this series. However, if you can remember that this was 30 years ago it is a great series of the time.

Admittedly, it doesn't match the standard of previous season, especially when compared to the Phantom Raspberry Blower. I also noticed that where, in previous seasons, there have been at least two of the musical numbers that I have played over and over again here there is just the one. As with many series there are good moments and bad ones, but some of the things that I like others won't, so we make of it what we want.

I put my hands up and admit that I tend to fast forward through the bits I don't like and replay the sketches and musical numbers I like, but isn't that what DVDs of comedy series like this are for.

I don't regret my purchase. It is a great edition to my collection. A collection which has in itself become a great insight into the changing attitudes of our society year-on-year; and it is far easier to study the changes this way than reading a dry textbook.

Thankfully, I'll now have something to watch when I'm with my older family members and children or when I'm on my own in hospital instead of the usual forced diet of soaps, make-overs and antique shows. I wait with baited breath for season 9.
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 September 2017
Very funny I would recomend it
on 10 October 2010
I am a big fan of The Two Ronnies, especially Ronnie B's wordplay. I have bought all previous series and was eager to purchase the latest series available on DVD.

Once again, there are the mini weekly series in the form of The Worm That Turned, the news items and Ronnie Barker's monologues.

Overall, I am a bit disappointed with the series. The sketches are just not as funny. It also seems to be rushed but this may be the BBC editing for the DVD.

Overall, a must have for any Two Ronnies DVD collection, however if you are looking to buy a DVD to showcase the talent of the duo, choose an earlier series.
22 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 July 2017
Great DVD
on 17 November 2017
Really pleased ideal present and difficult to get in shops
on 14 August 2014
By the time the eighth series of The Two Ronnies was released, the show was at its peak and while this particular series may not be at the level of their last few series, it still features several classic sketches and monologues from the duo.

This series features such classics as The Handwritten Shopping List, The Swear Box Sketch, Inventions and the classic Mastermind sketch where Ronnie Corbett gives the answers to the questions before last. The series serial 'The Worm That Turned' sees England run by women and men (including Barker and Corbett) reduced to doing the housework and wearing dresses.
VINE VOICEon 9 September 2010
It was always going to be difficult to top the fantastic series 5 in my mind, which was comedy perfection with "Fork Handles" (possibly the greatest comedy sketch ever written) and The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town.

Series 8 starts off well, with another fantastic sketch, "Mastermind" which is again, a shot of comedy genius. However, things start to slip, with "The Worm That Turned" and some uninspiring guest appearences from Elkie Brookes (I fast fowarded her guest spots, as she is certainly not to my tastes) and Barbara Dickinson (a little better.)

The Worm that Turned in partiular was never a serial that I enjoyed. I much prefer to see Sid and Lilly, George and Eddie, and Piggy Malone and Charley Farley leading the fore. Some might find this series' serial quite sexist, but that didn't bother me in particular, it just isn't the usual Two Ronnies fore.

But, as usual, there's the energetic song and dance routines from our dynamic duo - Barker's side splitting Pispronounciation, Corbetts rambling monologues and some funny turns from Sid and George as well. There's still quite a bit to laugh at, but its not quite as good as previous series'.

However, I have to say that this series, whilst not the best, is still far funnier, wittier and cleaner than many so called "comedies" of today.

As a final note - for those who are curious as to extras - well, there's none again.(we should be used to that with BBC releases by now) but there is a talking menus option, for those that need it, and subtitles.
on 15 November 2010
I have been waiting for series 8 to be launched on DVD for quite some time its great it has aged well and I even remember some of the sketches.. Brings back fond memories of watching it with my Father when I was a kid, my father was a huge fan.. 'The wormed that turned' miniseries with Diana Dors was very funny too and she played the part brilliantly. But my favour comedy sketch of all time by The Two Ronnies has to be The Four Candles sketch class British comedy and sadly they don't make them like that now.. Well recommended
on 23 July 2016
contains the worm that turned. I was a teenager when this first was broadcasted. Took me back to those days
on 18 March 2015