on 29 September 2010
This performance of Gounod's Faust from the Royal Opera House is nothing short of magnificent. At last for such a great opera, which has been badly served on DVD until now, we have a recording which does the work full justice. The cast is almost perfect and the performance is superb. The production is sheer quality from start to finish, with wonderful sets and costumes and a drama true to the original but with frequent reflections of the present era. This is a fully traditional production which is nevertheless entirely modern in outlook and execution.

The performers are outstanding, vocally fabulous as would be expected, but the great bonus here is that they are all excellent actors and also physically suited to their roles, which is no small consideration in opera. It is an accurate measure of Roberto Alagna's truly great performance that he reminds us that this opera is entitled 'Faust'. So often the eponymous character is overshadowed by Mephistopheles in performances of this work. Not so here, rather this is an almost perfect balance of equals. Bryn Terfel is, as would be expected, magnificent. He is menacing, humourous and subtle in equal measure, fully conveying the insidious evil of his character. One look or sneer from him conveys a world of meaning. Normally he would outshine all other performers in this opera, but not in this company. He is equalled by Alagna and Gheorghiu, both vocally and dramatically.

All the other performers are excellent too, but Simon Keenlyside is outstanding in his role as the war-weary Valentin, brother to Marguerite, and Sophie Koch is truly touching and vocally beautiful as Siebel, Faust's rival for Marguerite's love.

In the Act V ballet, five of the seven sections which Gounod wrote are performed as a brilliant parody of classical ballet. This brings out all the irony of Gounod's lovely ballet music played out as it is in the depths of depravity. The incongruity here is further heightened by Bryn Terfel's costume.

Under Antonio Pappano's direction the orchestra of the Royal Opera House play superbly, bringing out all the beauty, drama and subtlety of Gounod's great score. This is an absolutely classic performance and I doubt that it will be equalled let alone surpassed for many years to come.
53 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 15 March 2018
I watched this video with my uncle Benoit who spent most of the time muttering imprecations under his breathe in french. The two stars given were shared between alagna georghiou and keenlyside. Whoever put Roberto in a Halloween costume needs a good slap. He was his usual charming self under very hard circumstances. I was pleased to see that Angela had left her annoying mannerisms at home, but she did look rather bewildered throughout the whole operation and who could blame her? The sets ,direction and costumes were abysmal. Gounod would be spinning in his grave. I have been a fan of Bryn terfyl for quite a while but he has definitely lost the plot in this one, overacting like a madman, with so much rolling of eyes and grimacing it’s a wonder his face went back the next day. The one bright spot was Roberto’s cartwheel after he came out of the trunk as a young man (the transformation scene wan’t worthy of a school play). All in all a sad evening and makes me agree with the card on U tube who suggested the we put all the avant- garde directors custumiers etc on a ship to the Antarctic and let them make silly houses for the penguins.
One person found this helpful
on 29 November 2011
No regrets whatsoever with this one. One of my favourite operas and this production is absolute tops. Gheorghiu has all the dramatic presence to make her the perfect Marguerite, her magnificent voice, her good looks, acting ability-Gosh! Valentin, although a lesser role, is beautifully performed by Keenlyside. Good acting and a wonderful voice. But the one who really steals the show is Terfel. He is so well cast in the role of Mephistopheles- his towering frame, powerful voice and cheeky malevolence really completely dominates this superb production. Alagna's portrayal of Faust is just ever-so-slightly lacking in credibility, but his performance still does him considerable justice. The orchestration is excellent(I can still feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing!) and full marks to Pappano. The costumes reflect the period in which the opera is set(thankfully- I hate up-dated versions of Opera or Shakespeare), and the sets, although not extravagant, perfectly reflect the atmosphere. The photography is very good with judicious use of the zoom, and the images are good. Even a five star rating has to accommodate at least one reservation, and mine is the debauched ballet scene towards the final calling to account of Faust. The corps de ballet appear to enjoy the bonking and are not quite as grotesque as they might be, but to see Terfel as a transvestite is rather more risible than disgusting! However, this is just a minor criticism. Do buy this one and get one for each of your friends!
10 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 11 January 2014
This Royal Opera House production of Gounod's Faust has to be an all time great. It would be hard to fault it in any way. It's riveting to watch from beginning to end and it's the kind of production one would watch over and over again and never tire of it. There are two 16:9 discs with a total 180 minutes running time. They played well on my Blu-Ray player and I couldn't see anything wrong with the picture quality. Even if there was I wouldn't deduct a star for it because I'm reviewing the opera, not the disc.

One of the joys of this production is that the cast are all equally good. Everyone is giving of his/her best and what 'bests' they are! The orchestration is inspiring with the conductor, Antonio Pappano his usual inspiring self. Angelo Gheorghiu as Maruerite has to be one of her greatest roles, Roberto Alagna is a great Faust and Bryn Terfel excels as Mephistopheles. Simon Keenlyside is perfect as Valentin and Sophie Koch (Siebel), Della Jones (Marthe) and Matthew Rose (Wagner) are all on top form. The staging and costumes were of the best and the diabolical ballet in Act 5 could not have been performed better. It's here that we see Bryn Terfel presented as a female version of Mephistopheles. Very interesting!

One can only imagine that Gounod would be delighted with this production of his masterpiece. I could go into lots more detail including a resume of the storyline, but it's a very well known one, besides which those who don't know it will enjoy themselves more by finding it out as they watch this brilliant production. And please, good people, don't allow any adverse comments about the picture quality of the disc phase you. Most of us who have watched it on its two discs are not bothered by it; otherwise it wouldn't have received such a cascade of five star reviews. In short, it really is an all time great production of an all time great opera.
One person found this helpful
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 4 November 2012
This recording of Faust, made at the Royal Opera in 2004, is essentially a traditional production and with believable settings within the context of the story. Importantly it a features a top calibre cast on top form under the expert baton of Antonio Pappano.

The main four characters are particularly impressive as one might hope for or expect. The larger than life role of Mephistopheles is ideally cast with Bryn Terfel physically dominating in a central role that enables him to make the most of his imposing presence. As he has demonstrated in his portrayal of Puccini's Scarpio, Terfel is very suited to darker roles and in this opera he has plenty of opportunity to show this to telling dramatic effect with convincing acting allied to an effortless mastery of the vocal challenges.

Simon Keenlyside is equally fine as a singer/actor and he brings an equally strong portrayal to his characterisation of Valentin. He is still very much in his prime, vocally and physically and this makes for a convincing interpretation of his military role.

Angela Gheorghiu brings her customary intensity to the role of Marguerite which dramatically must encompass the decline from innocence to insanity and then a rise to final redemption. This is not easy to portray convincingly and it is to Gheorghiu's credit that she is able to deliver these dramatic challenges so well while still completely delivering on the vocal aspects of the role.

However, the most central role of all must be that of the title role of Faust. This brings a remarkable performance from Roberto Alagna who delivers what must be one of his finest performances to date. He too is fully in control of the vocal demands of the part and also of the shifting dramatic nuances of the role. He is also in good physical shape and is able to bring an extra dimension of genuinely fit athleticism to the portrayal.

The supporting roles of Siebel, Marthe and Wagner are well delivered by Sophie Koch, Della Jones and Matthew Rose respectively and Pappano is on top form as conductor. The orchestra is very fine and responds to every demand without fail. The choreography and dancers are suitably effective as appropriate as is the chorus contribution.

The booklet provides an interesting description and coverage of historical background detail.

The camera work is fully involving but the predominately dark settings have led to rather over-contrasty imaging which might be the result of over-sharpening at the production stage of the processing. This is the weakest part of this product. The sound is excellent on the other hand and is presented in both DTS 5.1 and stereo options.

Overall this is a very strong portrayal of Faust given by a top quality cast and in a believable setting. The recording is sonically good but the imaging could be described as a touch disappointing for 2004 standards. This might be rectified on a future reprocessing if the problem is simply that of over-sharpening. However it is also possible that this would not be a matter of concern for those not involved professionally with photography.

Musically and dramatically this clearly gave the audience present on 19th June 2004 much satisfaction. I would suggest that it is equally likely that most purchasers of this disc would feel the same way and that it is certainly worth seriously considering as a potential purchase.
on 5 May 2013
This was the first opera I was taken to as a small boy of 10 or 11 after the war. The theatre was local and the singers not great stars; but I loved the music and story. This is the very best production I have had the good fortune to see. I love Gheorghiu's Margarita 7 and Alagna's Faust; but I could not help but love the rascally Mephistopheles of Bryn Terfel, who I have been following since I watched him in the Cardiff Singer of the Year. The staging is outstanding and for once; we have singers that can act out their parts. I have always been saddened by a performance where truly beautifully performed arias are accompanied by wooden movements and poses being struck upon the stage. Not in this production! Supporting parts are excellently played and the music is wonderful. Buy and immerse yourself
on 12 July 2011
I have for as long as I can remember had a soft spot for Faust, it has some memorable arias, and the story rather fascinates me. I first bought the Ken Russell Weiner Staatsoper version, which I found self indulgent and disappointing. The singing was not amiss, but....
I next tried Teatro Coccia, with Rigosa as Mephistopheles, and apart from him I found it wanting on all counts.
Then I bought this one and wow, the casting, the singing, the sets, thay are all what I thought Faust should be. I shall not go into further detail as every artiste matches up to my expectations. I shall never buy another Faust a I am sure I would be Disappointed.
9 people found this helpful
on 15 July 2013
This production works on all levels including Mr Terfel appearing in drag for the queens and courtesans ball (to my mind the Devil can appear in any guise and what better than dressing like one of those sirens to join in with the festivities). To begin with I was not sure of the updating of the action to the 19th century but that soon ceased to be a problem as I was swept away by the story. What can you say about the cast? They were all on top form and produced a glorious sound from start to finish accompanied by the ROH's orchestra who produced their own sumptuous noise. I do think the ROH orchestra is the best when it comes to opera recordings on both cd's and dvd's. I would also make mention of the fantastic scenics which also made a great impact to the enjoyment of this performance. I would recommend this production unreservedly to anyone looking for a first class rendition of an old stalwart.
4 people found this helpful
on 11 April 2016
The singing is wonderful, but the set is very much underlit and dark. I was disappointed. Angela Gheorghiu as a blond was a surprise. As I said vocally the performance was very good, but visually it left much to be desired because it was so very dark. For my liking there are also, as usual with the ROH, too many close up shots, rather than showing the action on the whole stage. I have seen part of the Jonas Kaufmann Faust which in my view is better.
on 24 August 2013
I bought this because I have a fairly poor recording of it from the TV from some time ago and the production is absolutely fantastic both musically and dramatically. All the solo performances are, in my view, faultless with the possible exception of a few 'swoops' by Mr Alagna, but I can forgive that.

So, the prime reason for my purchase was to get a decent quality recording, however, as this is an NTSC recording, my DVD inexpensive player struggles a bit and the sound and picture are a bit out of sync which is irritating to put it mildly. I have tried it on a friend's quite expensive player and it's fine, but I don't have enough cash to buy a quite expensive player! Given that it is a recording from the Royal Opera House in London, England, where PAL rules the video encoding world, why on earth is it not available in a PAL version. Hence 4 stars not five.