Customer reviews

Lumiere
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 September 2016
Can't say enough about this album. I have sent one to my musician son, whose first comments are very favourable too! Some old folk songs given a gentle, beautiful rendering! Such sweet voices, completely without affectation, just straightforward angelic voices. That also goes for the wonderful Seamus Begley making a contribution, in his dulcet tones. I can't pick a favourite track, today it is this song, tomorrow it will be another. There are no weak ones in this album!
on 7 December 2013
I find that folk albums don't often get played much once the initial charm wears off, but this one just keeps finding its way back onto the turntable. Firstly I suppose it's perhaps because there are no strained efforts at singer-songwriting, but a great selection of songs I really wanted to hear done again, simply played with acoustic guitars and of course those gorgeous harmony vocals. (Their second CD, Dearest Dear, is also nice but veers dangerously close to clannadland at times). But this one sits there creating a wonderful glow...they just got it exactly right.
on 8 April 2015
Really well put together album. Beautiful blend of voices from these two exceptionally talented singers. "The west' awake" being a favourite at the moment that could change as all the tracks are very good.
Looking forward to seeing them live at some point along the way. If you like traditional Irish music with a slight twist then this is for you. Highly recommend this and "My Dearest Dear" their second album.
on 17 December 2017
Lumiere may not be the most original and daring project, but nonetheless brings a smile to my face, everytime I give it a listen.
on 24 August 2010
Two very good individual singers blend superbly to deliver a performance much greater than the sum of the parts.

Their style is beguiling; pretty well all the tracks are good, my current preferences being 'Edward on Lough Ernes's shore','Spencer the Rover' and 'Sile' but plenty of others following closely.

This CD is very easy to listen to, quite lovely, it sounds like they thoroughly enjoyed making it.
3 people found this helpful
on 24 July 2013
I'm very biased, because I love this style of music, and
these ladies are simply outstanding in their delivery of
it! If you enjoy ellectric guitar, fiddle; viola; electric and
acoustic guitars.....as well as exquisite vocal harmony,
then this is surely for you!
on 13 January 2013
This record was a real surprise. I bought the record after hearing their youtube version of the traditional song "Come all ye fair and tender ladies". Then discovered that I liked more of the songs on the CD, their voices are excellent and they blend together beautifully. They sing the songs and interpret the lyrics as if they were their own. Best of all is they add a soulful touch into these songs that make you believe in them, great music !.
on 3 May 2013
I never heard about Lumiere until I heard a review of the latest album.
I decided to buy this album with the current, because I was so much impressed with the sample of 'My Dearest Dear' I had to get the previous album. I love the style of the music. I never thought thought songs in the Irish language could sound so beautiful. Again , amazing voices, can't wait to hear them live.
on 28 August 2014