on 17 October 2014
After having seen Mat Smith as Dr Who I can't say I cared much for his characterization in the series, seeing him as Isherwood in this film has changed my mind about the actor he is perfectly cast as Christopher Isherwood, I guess it's getting the right man for the part, as Dr Who I don't think so but in this film he brings a realty of those times to the screen that would be as they 'a hard act to follow. I 'll watch this film many times in the future, one niggling observation which to many would seem trivial if anyone picked up it all was during the 1931 - 33 segment of the film was hearing Harry James and his Orchestra playing You Made Me Love You this was a million seller for James in 1942! hardly appropriate for the early '30's. I found the coming to power of the nazi party sequences very chilling and horribly realistic, a gastly reminder of times now consigned to history, enough siad.Overall I enjoyed the movie, an interesting take on how a well to do gay man was able to travel and experience life in the cities of europe where being gay was far more accepted, untill the nazi's came to power, it also meant escaping the horrifying constraints of England and it's laws of the time.
on 4 April 2018
This is a beautifully staged, photographed and acted adaptation of the Isherwood book. The cast are excellent, the period ( 1930s Berlin) magnificently recreated and Matt Smith makes a convincing Isherwood. It's just too short to do full justice to the story and leaves you yearning for more. Twice the length at the very least. Nonetheless, immensely watchable.
on 22 February 2018
Very Good considering it was first used in DVD many years ago in Stereo No dolby. DTS in those days
on 24 April 2014
Made for BBC this movie is based on the book Christopher Isherwood. This has been cut but to be honest only saw this on DVD so couldn't tell you which parts have been.

Matt Smith is brilliant in this its really fun and really like the book in parts i would highly recommend
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 March 2014
I was really looking forward to watching this, but It wasn't really good tbh. I'm not a fan of Dr Who and this maybe why I didn't really enjoy it. But I will watch it again at some point and see if my opinion on it changes. But for now, It's only a 3 stars for me.
on 12 April 2016
Great film. Since shown on TV more explicit than many 18 films
on 7 August 2017
good product and service
on 1 May 2016
Great film very well acted
on 21 March 2017
The best thing I've seen Matt Smith do. Isherwood is one of my favourite writers and it was great seeing him brought to life on screen. Great drama and comedy.
on 27 October 2013
This film inspired me to buy and read the book! An interesting, moving, and good look into the life of a gay man in Germany at the cusp of ww2. Matt Smith did a very good job in this film!