Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 6 August 2012
Why cant the manufacturers say what they are measuring when they declare the size of an item to be medium boy, large boy etc so we can size these items accurately before we buy them, find they are miniscule and then send them back. Head size is measured in head circumference at eye brow level. In inches or centimetres it can be measured with ease at home. My son is 8 years old. Regular measurements during his life confirm him to be Mr Average, exactly on the 50th percentile for height, weight and head circumference. It is all too obvious at rugby training that he is not a large boy and yet it seems he needs a small mans scrum cap.
It just wastes time and postage fees
on 11 June 2013
I bought the small boy version for my 7 yr old son who plays full contact union in Sweden. In terms of quality of manufacture and materials it is a good product, where it falls down is that it is poorly proportioned. The ration of the distance of nose/base of forehead to crown of head against head circumference is poor, so that while the circumference is wide enough for my 7 yr old, the lack of depth of the head guard is such that the ear pieces (which lets be honest it is a scrum cap, rubbing the ears are one the the things it is supposed to protect against) ride up much too high. The small boys is probably Ok for my 5yr old daughter but I will look to buy from another manufacturer for my son (who is by no means extra big for 7). Bit disappointed with this product really, if it is designed by rugby players for rugby players its not been designed by any players who have children, my lad will be so disapointed he was looking forwards to getting this and wearing it on Saturday.
on 3 October 2011
I bought this headguard to replace my sons old Kooga one, very good quality but I think the sizing is wrong. His Kooga was 'Medium Boys' and the Optimum was 'Large Boys'. When he has gone to use it we found that it is too small!! So I would suggest getting a size larger, also the ear holes are a bit high so hearing is difficult. Otherwise a quality item.
on 7 September 2012
No size guidance is given on Amazon's website however so I used the guidance from Optimum's website when purchasing on of these headguards. Whilst it fitted around the circumference of my son's head, albeit tightly, the hearing holes in the headguard were an inch above his ears. I'd chosen the small boys size, it's really very small boys, probably suitable for a 7 to 8 year old.
When I tried to return it, Amazon want me to pay the postage, a call to their customer service resolved that as a very helpful assistant agreed that he couldn't tell me how big a small boy actually was!
on 3 November 2013
My 9yr old is quite happy wearing this for the entire length of match(es). He can get a bit hot at times, but plenty of drink cures this..
on 5 April 2014
Headguard was a perfect fit, really comfortable. There is no sweating when the headguard is worn. Smart clean lines. Perfect.
on 3 February 2015
Fits perfectly, great buy!